Whitley Bay, England

So, I was reliably informed the button matrix on my DMG was fucked. Every so often, I'd press one button and several would register at once and it'd be all fucky.
However, I did find this somewhat strange as it had been fine for months previously, and without opening it up it suddenly went fucky.

Anyway, I took my DMG apart to take out the backlight and shit to put in another DMG. I tested it first... And now it works fine! No problem at all.

This is totally bizarre. I have no clue why it keeps breaking/unbreaking. My question is this - is it because of certain points of pressure or whatever, and therefore would I be able to carefully put it back together and use it fine? If not, would I have to replace the back board, front board, or both?

I did buy another DMG, to backlight and use instead. However, pretty much as soon as I unscrewed the small screen ribbon cable, it broke. All I'd done was slide a knife under to start removing the film, but now there are huge vertical borders at either side of the screen. They're about equal - on the right in LSDJ for example, I can only see the first digit of the tempo.
Is this at all fixable, of am I fuxxed?
I've backlit two DMGs before no problem. It's odd that this one should break so easily...

Brisbane, Australia

Sometimes the contact points get dirty or the silicon pads move which makes the button pushes register incorrectly or not at all, often just cleaning the contact points with electrical contact cleaner or reseating the silicon pads can fix the problem.

Is there any noticeable physical damage on your second DMG's insides? As in, did you accidentally cut any part of the ribbon cables? If not you may have accidentally separated the point between the ribbon cable and the screen which is fixable. Just remove the rubber border at the bottom of the screen, then place a low voltage soldering iron over the points where the lines appear for a few seconds, that should reseal the solder points under the screen and get it working properly again.

Whitley Bay, England

Is it vertical lines that are fixable that way?
There is absolutely no visible damage to my new DMG, so that would make sense.

Brisbane, Australia

Yeah you can fix vertical lines like that, just not horizontal ones if you have any.

Whitley Bay, England

Well, I fixed it!

And then got some horizontal lines goddamnit!

Still, there's just a few and they're all at the bottom of the screen so it's not biggie really.
Cheers for your help smile

Brisbane, Australia

Oh well at least most of it's working lol
I don't know if it's possible to fix the horizontal lines at all, I believe the same method can't be used.
You're welcome smile