rochester, ny

i just can't get my cart to work with my gameboy pocket. the gameboy works perfectly with other carts, and my ems cart works perfectly with other types of gameboys. this is how it should be?

Canada

Basically, yeah.

))<>((

The EMS cart is a battery sucker, and the Pocket doesn't like this. If you mod it, with a battery pack (dunno the details lol, but Bibin has done it), then it'll work just fine.

rochester, ny
tacticalbread wrote:

The EMS cart is a battery sucker, and the Pocket doesn't like this. If you mod it, with a battery pack (dunno the details lol, but Bibin has done it), then it'll work just fine.

gotchya. thanks!

Minneapolis

Yup, EMS carts are not quite within Nintendo spec for power consumption for carts. In fact, "not quite within" is an understatement. They can draw up to twice as much current as other cartridges. Pockets are known for their undersized power supplies, and when the PSU is overdrawn then other components get "starved" and malfunctions ensue. Usually at the beginning of battery life things like the contrast changing wildly is very noticeable, but later on glitches and crashes can happen. Two easy solutions- use only fresh alkaline batteries (not rechargeable, they have less voltage, enough to make it not work with an EMS cart) or use the wall-pack. Eventually I'd like to do a rechargeable battery mod for the pocket, but as of right now I haven't had the time or impetus to do so, especially since I don't use a gameboy for a whole lot right now.

I'm running the EMS64 on a Pocket, and its working just fine, but I can tell it's just chewing through batteries. I try to keep it plugged into the wall as best I can. I've only had for a couple days now, and the only problem that I've been having is that I have LSDJ in one 32mb bank, and have random other games on the other bank, and everytime I load a random bank, when I go back to LSDJ, the initial song that comes up is completely random and jumbled. I think this has something to do with both banks sharing the same SRAM storage area. So if anybody can let me know how to clear the song/chain/phrase/groove values, and create a fresh clean song, that would be very helpful!

matt's mind

† for proper function with the gameboy pocket, you will need to use an ac adapter which supplies 3V and a minimum of 1A (1000mA) output to power the gameboy.

won't work for very long off batteries.

but, will work fine with a wall-wart.

Sydney

I have experienced problems with my EMS cart when playing on my gameboy pocket, like wildly changing contrast. But what is concerning me more is the fact that my cart will rarely boot up first go and on some DMG's not at all, on each one im getting the exact same nintendo logo on boot up, assuming this is a problem with the cart itself, can anyone shed any light on this problem?