Amsterdam, The Netherlands

@EmThree: Well, this: "going for a super minimal style, a la superbrothers". I really think you got enough talent to go your own way.. Maybe it sounds a bit harsh but i really felt someone needed to say it.
(as we once did an interview with him: http://www.8bittoday.com/articles/21/superbrothers - therefore i have strong feelings about it.)

Turku, FIN
Sander von Focus wrote:

I really think you got enough talent to go your own way..

I feel this way too. I really like your previous stuff and i think you can rock on with your own style!

Roanoke, VA

emthree never disapoints

Vancouver
Sander von Focus wrote:

@EmThree: Well, this: "going for a super minimal style, a la superbrothers". I really think you got enough talent to go your own way.. Maybe it sounds a bit harsh but i really felt someone needed to say it.
(as we once did an interview with him: http://www.8bittoday.com/articles/21/superbrothers - therefore i have strong feelings about it.)

If you have a look at your interview with him (which by the way is great), you can really see he's going in a different direction from me...his colors are a lot more muted and the shapes he uses are less angular, more "organic" even. I don't know, sure I am doing one pixel thin heads but that's where the similarities end...I've only seen some of his work, but I have read that article before. Pallate wise and even style wise, his work is really different. I'm not seeking to imitate him, I am just inspired. Every impressionist artist is not copying off of Monet, rather just expanding on something he pioneered and I think I am doing something similar here.  I appreciate your criticism but I think dabbling in some unfamiliar waters is a great idea....I usually work with like a 128 x 128 canvas or something and now I'm doing 67 x 67. It's definitely challenging and, I think, a great way to become more "talented". I'm aiming for a super minimalist approach, not only inspired by superbrothers but Cactus's "shotgun ninja", the original Legend of Zelda and a bunch of other "art" and the challenge here is to go with it "my own way".

You've got some of my stuff here:

and then superbrothers

There are some stylistic similarities, just like you'd find with impressionist artists, but they are both very different takes on the style.

Keff: My old style is just that...it's old, I want to try something out of my comfort zone. I hope you understand this haha. I really enjoy making artwork in the sorts of styles I've dabbled in before (especially this one: http://8bc.org/items/images/mm2finishedy.PNG) but it's incredibly time consuming. With school and everything, I'd still love to get some more art done but I don't have as much free time as I used to, so I've created this blog to just upload pixel "sketches"...these aren't nearly as serious as work I've previously done in that not a whole lot of effort is being put in to them; they are just being created for my enjoyment. I'd like to get back to detailed pixel art but I just don't have the time right now, so working with a "simpler" creative outlet is (I think) the only option for me aside from not making art at all.

Hopefully I didn't sound harsh at all here, I really appreciate the concern!

Last edited by EmThree (Dec 8, 2010 8:06 am)

Turku, FIN

I thought the shoulder and heads and legs were really similar on your pics and superbrothers, but that is also because of the size and things.
I still love your work, keep on pixeling!

g0g0!

KeFF wrote:

but that is also because of the size and things.

lololololololololololol, his adam and eve picture.

Turku, FIN

Pixels size doesn't matter, it's how you use it

you don't get the joke sad

Vancouver

I thought you were referring to the size of the leaves too

Psydney, Australia

Meh @ superbrothers fandom. Very bad more to rip off someone who both has a very unique style and is also super famous.

I really like the rest.

Vancouver

Thanks haha

Hoxton, London UK

I like it. I agree at such low resolution it's hard to differentiate styles but you've done a good job