IL, US

well, enjoy your overly simplified world view

Bristol

case in point: I dislike my job (though i feel lucky that it some what reflects my interests), it pays bills, runs the car (or cat as I just wrote, it also runs the cat, i have two cats...), keeps me fed. I also consider myself a musician, I play guitar, I talk about music, I listen to music, I compose music, therefore a musician. Not a very good one, fine, but a musician still. I'm not a professional musician though, but I don't think being paid makes the slightest bit of difference, I know plenty of people who don't get paid for what they do, yet they are fantastic musicians. So yeh, to me, Musician is someone who makes and plays music, in any form. you put words before and after musican to describe exactly what they do. "Paid" "shit""awesome" "professional" etc

Matthew Joseph Payne

I'm a musician, a sound technician, and a theater sound designer because I do them all for exactly the same amount of time every single day.

BK
noisewaves wrote:
µB wrote:

A musician is someone who makes music.

What qualifies as music is subjective.

this is the answer. </thread>

this.

video hoes

))<>((

How much time you spend doing something has nothing to do with what you are. I am a musician (not really a good one), producer, sound designer, foley artist, noob programmer, and noob web designer, yet if you classified me by what I do all day, then I guess I'm an user of the internet.

kineticturtle wrote:

sound designer

fuck yeah.

Kris k wrote:
noisewaves wrote:

this is the answer. </thread>

this.

this.

california
e.s.c. wrote:

well, enjoy your overly simplified world view

Yeah, aren't we just talking about labels here? Who cares about that?

from Websters:
Definition of MUSICIAN: a composer, conductor, or performer of music.

Last edited by gizmo (Dec 5, 2010 7:51 pm)

Melbourne, Australia
ant1 wrote:

a musician is someone who does music more than anything else they do

if you do 9 hours of gardening a day and one hour of music you are not a musician you are a gardener

LOL

musicians make terrible forum threads.

Unsubscribe
4mat wrote:

musicians make terrible forum threads.

hardcore, Australia
tacticalbread wrote:

noob programmer

My brain turned this into robot programmer, and i thought you were a really cool guy for a minute.

(you still are a really cool guy though.)

Sweden

It's hard to answer objectively, so I'll just settle on saying that anyone who partakes in the creation of what they themselves honestly consider to be musical sound is a musician, at least at the moment they are doing it.

Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

Do you need to have learned to read music? (I know zat'd eliminate me...)

Just as a side note, I think that everybody can read music in some form (some forms less ambiguous than other). If you mean western sheet music, it has only existed for a few centuries, and I think everybody will agree that music and musicians must have existed before any musical conventions or definitions.

hardcore, Australia

When i graduated from uni i told everyone i was finally an artist, and forbode them from practicing art until they were properly qualified. They said it was a stupid idea.
But you can't call yourself a doctor or lawyer until you've done the necessary study, why should music and art be so lenient on who can be what?

godinpants wrote:

When i graduated from uni i told everyone i was finally an artist, and forbode them from practicing art until they were properly qualified. They said it was a stupid idea.
But you can't call yourself a doctor or lawyer until you've done the necessary study, why should music and art be so lenient on who can be what?

Wow, if you're judging music purely from an academic standpoint you should probably stop writing any now, cheers.

Chicago IL

to me musicians are people that play instruments
people who write music for other people or things to perform (computers and such) are composers

lolusa
Saskrotch wrote:

to me musicians are people that play instruments
people who write music for other people or things to perform (computers and such) are composers

was about to say this

I don't want to see any confusion between performers, composers, producers, dj's, and musicians.