AANABAY01

Do you believe that anyone who has ever sung, programmed, or otherwise elicited a note from an instrument is a musician? Or does it take more zan zat?

Maybe you're not a musician until you've made your first dollar by selling your recordings, or until you've played live in front of someone? Maybe you can have done both of zose and still not be considered a musician by some...

Do you need to have read up on theory? Do you need to have learned to read music? (I know zat'd eliminate me...)

Is rap music?[/strikethrough

I feel like what defines a musician is ze ability to imagine a phrase of music and zen play or sequence it, but I wrestle with my own definition since many more based in theory are utterly dependant on the page and the conductor, and they might have entirely different takes on it which disqualify me. so let's hear yours.

uhajdafdfdfa

a musician is someone who does music more than anything else they do

if you do 9 hours of gardening a day and one hour of music you are not a musician you are a gardener

East Kilbride, Scotland

What if you make £16,000 a year from music during that one hour a day, and you only make £15,000 a year doing 9 hours of gardening a day. Music would be your dominant income, so would that make you a musician or a gardener?

uhajdafdfdfa

who said anything about income? big_smile

Last edited by ant1 (Dec 5, 2010 1:01 pm)

East Kilbride, Scotland

No-one mentioned income, but I'm throwing it into the mix to suggest that time spent isn't the best factor in measuring if you are a musician or not.

astral cat

a musician is a person who wears whimsical jackets.

a musician:

Last edited by an-cat-max (Dec 5, 2010 2:13 pm)

astral cat
Sycamore Drive wrote:

No-one mentioned income

actually, i think you mentioned it..

Brunswick, GA USA
Sycamore Drive wrote:

What if you make £16,000 a year from music during that one hour a day, and you only make £15,000 a year doing 9 hours of gardening a day. Music would be your dominant income, so would that make you a musician or a gardener?

Based on the size of income, that'd make the person a person with two jobs.

What is the difference between an amateur musician (or gardener) and a professional musician (or gardener?)

A hint: the latter says (professes) that they want to do it for a living.

East Kilbride, Scotland
an-cat-max wrote:
Sycamore Drive wrote:

No-one mentioned income

actually, i think you mentioned it..

Go back and read the whole sentence and stop trying to be a smart arse Tom.

AANABAY01

the money bit has to be ze least interesting element lol

a lot of really rich and famous bands contain a few non-musicians in my estimation o:)

Last edited by Zan-zan-zawa-butt (Dec 5, 2010 4:00 pm)

A gray world of dread

A musician is someone who makes music.

What qualifies as music is subjective.

Last edited by µB (Dec 5, 2010 4:03 pm)

Michigan
µB wrote:

this is the answer. </thread>

Liverpool, UK
noisewaves wrote:
µB wrote:

this is the answer. </thread>

Surely the answer is subjective? </coolfaic>

The Mountains

Mmm, that and a pair of testicles

IL, US
ant1 wrote:

if you do 9 hours of gardening a day and one hour of music you are not a musician you are a gardener

so no one with a day job is a musician? guess any of us with actual bills to pay are just fakers in your eyes

uhajdafdfdfa

you aren't fakers either you are [insert whatever the name of people who do that job is]
unless your day job is being fake i guess