Chicago, IL

How do you guys make your music?
Do you create a very long sequential song consisting of many chains?
Or do you make a short song of different chains, only meant to be playing in LIVE mode?

Tell me.

california

usually I start with maybe just a solid 8 phrase loop. then copy and paste it a few times. then sculpt at it like a piece of clay. then transition to another progression, and repeat from step 1. i do that till i have a song.

Last edited by gizmo (Dec 7, 2010 3:32 am)

Sydney

i usually write a song with no consideration for live mode, so chains full to the brim of phrases, then when i complete it and realize im going to have to do it live ive got to go back and split it up into smaller 4 bar loops etc suitable for live mode

Sydney

every chain has 4 phrases for me, and i mix it all up in live mode. some chains have 2 or 6 phrases, but mainly 4.

Los Angeles, CA

Everything is written in song mode. Live, I don't always use live mode. I mostly fuck with instrument parameters, tables, muting / soloing, messing with the sync to stop the song, tempo...occasionally I'll mix shit up with live mode but even still my songs are solid chains and I just try to memorize which sections are which.

Chicago, IL

Cool, WizWars!

Also, KoolSkull says o hai.

uhajdafdfdfa

the programs i use don't have chains or live mode sad

generally though i only use unique patterns

etc

or if famitrackrr

01 01 01 01 01
02 02 02 02 02
03 03 03 03 03
04 04 04 04 04

etc

Make a generic; shitty heavy riff. Smash head on keyboard. Apply vibrato on all the leads. Rinse. Repeat.

Unsubscribe

i jam on songs using live mode, and then sequence the songs in song mode for recording..

hardcore, Australia

I think my lsdj files would be incomprehensible to anyone but me.
I dont really have a format, i just keep creating new chains, with spaces in between all over the place, some dont get used in a song and dont get deleted, some have multiple copies, its just a mess. but i mess i can work through for live mode.

Godzilladelph

set bpm to 255
set groove to 3/3
press random buttons in noise channel
add a 4/4 kick drum
hit random notes in pulse
press play

Bronx, NY

The most baffling and disorienting thing for me is that I do a one phrase, one chain layout. People look at it and think I'm insane, but I go crazy if I can't see the whole song laid out before me on the song screen, and I can barely continue. Everything else is pretty random.

Abandoned on Fire
DaPantz wrote:

The most baffling and disorienting thing for me is that I do a one phrase, one chain layout. People look at it and think I'm insane, but I go crazy if I can't see the whole song laid out before me on the song screen, and I can barely continue. Everything else is pretty random.

Same here (I think, if you mean one phrase per chain).  If everything's not in sync on the Song screen I'm totally lost tongue

Whitley Bay, England

I used to have all chains full of phrases - now I have 4 phrases a chain. Makes it easier to play back only certain parts an stuff.
Causes a bit of confusion when going back to older songs though and seeing like no chains, hahah.

Anahiem, CA

Add a typical 4/4 beat
Go to the wave channel and put dots all over the place.
Write a bass line and see what happens from there.

Liverpool, UK

I get Matt Simmonds to stand on it