New York, New York

Because of the EverDrive, we already have ROM playback. And an album has come out with music of Freezedream, thanks to the techniques of little-scale and coders (shiru and alone coder to mention 2). I think that until I get a Nomad, the native tracker can wait, because the Genesis isn't really very gig friendly yet (compared to bringing out my Asus Eee PC which is very light and battery powered).

However, I will give donations to the cause if anyone wants to sacrifice themselves to making physical Genesis carts that let you natively compose and backup compositions on Genesis/Nomad hardware.

I still suggest the setting up of a donation pool/paypal so Shiru could work at it on his own time with money from those resources. That way money could still be sent in towards the development from the community. You could even put a goal number of $$$, and even make a profit for all I care. If you're truly not up to doing that though Shiru, I understand. My Nomad is just hungering for one! wink

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

You'd have to be an idiot to pre-pay for the application and/or a donation pool thing would sort of be in the similar group...
It would only set yourself up for disappointment.

To program something like this it will have to start out as a labor of love for someone. which is why it hasn't been done yet.
Simple as that.  So peeps should stop talk'n about pre-pay...donate, etc. thats just silly talk.

I believe Little-Scale will eventually finish the work he's done. I just know he's been extremely busy with school and work.
The man's a genius... which means his life is insane. hahaha
heart

Milwaukee, WI

^^This. My friends and I donated to see a new version of Octamed for the Amiga more than our fair share over the last 12 years or so. The project changed hands more than a few times and recently we were informed that the progress stopped for the Amiga and chugged along for the PC. Hell, that even stopped too from what I understand.

I'd love to see a native tracker for the genesis, it's been something of a wet dream of mine. However, it's FM synthesis and realistically you can achieve the same exact sounds via a DX-xxx/TX-xxx synth. I think yamaha even created a portable DX in the form of an electribe-type unit a few years back. There's always the ad-lib too.

Anyhoo, I'd love to see this come to fruition. If no one else ends up taking this on, I'd love to, regardless of my inexperience. I've got spare time and the drive to see it through.

low-gain wrote:

You'd have to be an idiot to pre-pay for the application and/or a donation pool thing would sort of be in the similar group...

With this mentality, why should people donate money towards the research of anything then? It's fun to dream. hmm Oh well.

Last edited by an0va (Dec 22, 2010 4:33 am)

New York, New York

I will only donate if someone is nearly all done. You have to show you are passionate about the project.

Russia, Moscow

To make things clear: I'm not interested in the donating way to pay things of this kind, and I'm not going to take any risks. If you seriously want me to make something custom/special like native MD tracker, you can get me as a freelancer - you provide all the specs, define how it looks, works, etc, we negotiate costs and shedule. You pay for everything (does not mean fully pre-paid work), and get what you asked for. Then you can do anything with the result, sell it, release it for free, keep it private, whatever.

If you can't go this way by any reasons, which is understandable, I would recommend to contact TmEE first, and learn about his plans on this - is he going to do it, what he going to do exactly, etc.

Milwaukee, WI

SammichFM is cool but surely the Midibox FM with full control surface would be better.  wink 
I fully support a native Genny tracker.  I have two CCAM'd Genny's with a DJ mixer and I'd love to be able to DJ between them without just playing FM only TFM's.

Whitley Bay, England

Doesn't the Atari ST have the same soundchip (or a very close relative) anyway? With built in MIDI support and native trackers already.

Russia, Moscow

Atari ST has absolutely different and much simpler sound chip, which is also used in Amstrad CPC, MSX, ZX Spectrum, and some computers and consoles. Most of these computers has a lot of native trackers for it, there are tens of thousands of songs made for it.

There are no computers or other consoles that has exactly the same sound chip as Genesis. Probably it is actually custom OPN version made by Yamaha for Sega needs (they also made Genesis video chip, which was renumbered to Sega part number by some reason). There are some computers with other OPN chips, which are somewhat compatible (whole NEC PC-88 range has either YM2203 or YM2608), however they are all japanese, never were sold outside Japan, and I haven't ever heard about any musical software for japanese computers other than MML compilers. Never heard about any japanese tracker for any platform as well.

hardcore, Australia

Shiru: do a kickstarter, gain support!

Sweeeeeeden
godinpants wrote:

Look 4 posts above yours...

Whitley Bay, England
Shiru wrote:

Atari ST has absolutely different and much simpler sound chip, which is also used in Amstrad CPC, MSX, ZX Spectrum, and some computers and consoles. Most of these computers has a lot of native trackers for it, there are tens of thousands of songs made for it.

There are no computers or other consoles that has exactly the same sound chip as Genesis. Probably it is actually custom OPN version made by Yamaha for Sega needs (they also made Genesis video chip, which was renumbered to Sega part number by some reason). There are some computers with other OPN chips, which are somewhat compatible (whole NEC PC-88 range has either YM2203 or YM2608), however they are all japanese, never were sold outside Japan, and I haven't ever heard about any musical software for japanese computers other than MML compilers. Never heard about any japanese tracker for any platform as well.

Ahh really? Suxxx. Megadrives sound so sexy.

Sweden
nitro2k01 wrote:
godinpants wrote:

Look 4 posts above yours...

I don't think it's that silly of a suggestion since a kickstarter fund doesn't really come with any of the risks commonly associated with donation based funding -- set a pool goal as high as you want and start working if it's reached in time. Otherwise, everything is returned to the donating parties.

low-gain wrote:

Yeah, living by this won't really get anything anywhere, though smile.

Russia, Moscow

I have nothing against suggestions, but please, look where I'm from first, Kickstarter and any PayPal-based things are out of question.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

nevermind... you guys have no clue what angle i'm coming from as usual.

It would be a good start to have someone who actually wants to do the project. Because it really would be a labor of love.
Then getting a taste of what kind of work they're capable of doing, with perhaps some simple demo's they've done up of potential native software for said hardware...

THEN it might make sense to say .. "yeah i'd donate some money towards that" because with out any kind of outline as to what the program would be... why would you EVER donate money to it? it would be like.. paying money for a painting that you've never seen but are told it's really good.

Sorry i dont work that way. I dont even know where this thread went or how it got here... either way i'm out of the conversation
as it has lost my interest.