Hoxton, London UK

I was wondering if anyone knows of an agreed upon chipmusic-wide standard size for album artwork, in pixels.
I mean, 8bp seem to use 461x246 mostly, (front and back), which works for their particular low-res style.

The reason I ask, is that I'm planning on doing a weekly album-cover-art giveaway on my website, and thought some homogeneity would be nice.

IL, US

there isnt one agreed upon standard, many people design photo quality resolution stuff, other go pixel art style
youre closer to having one if you went by physical dimensions (those slim cd cases fit 4.75" x 4.75", i believe, or 4.75" x 9.5" if its front & back together), but that still varies from type of case you use
(the ones i use now for my releases are 4.5625" x 10")
\\

edit: are you meaning youre giving away prints of other people's work? if so, make sure to get permission first as the people who do the cover art work damn hard on it and have all the same rights of reproduction for their work that a musician has

Hoxton, London UK

True, I suppose it depends on the type of jewel case. Anyway, physical media is dead! (well, kind of).
I was thinking more about the need to display art at 72dpi screen resoloution and therefore how large the cover art would appear on the screen. Just to avoid any aliasing of the edges after resizing.

Anyway, ha no i wouldn't distribute other people's work... Just my own artwork. I create far more images than albums so I thought it would be nice to let people use the pictures for their own music releases if they wish.

400 x 400 is the size I use

Westfield, NJ

I really like 350x350 because that's what Bandcamp uses. The issue with chip covers is that they usually have pixel art which does not scale well... there was a cover on dancing is forbidden that was 216x216 and that was a real pain because I could not resize it without ruining the quality. If you are designing an album cover for print you should always do high quality (300dpi) and start at like 600x600 at a minimum. If you are doing it for web then 72dpi is fine but you should still make a large version to scale down from.

IL, US
Decktonic wrote:

I really like 350x350 because that's what Bandcamp uses. The issue with chip covers is that they usually have pixel art which does not scale well... there was a cover on dancing is forbidden that was 216x216 and that was a real pain because I could not resize it without ruining the quality. If you are designing an album cover for print you should always do high quality (300dpi) and start at like 600x600 at a minimum. If you are doing it for web then 72dpi is fine but you should still make a large version to scale down from.

300 dpi as a 600x600 pixel image is 2" square, maybe a bit small...

Westfield, NJ
e.s.c. wrote:

300 dpi as a 600x600 pixel image is 2" square, maybe a bit small...

Whoops, I didn't mean to write that. If you are making it for print it should be measured in inches... 6" square or something.

Philly, PA, USA

4.75 inches square, so whatever that is at 300 dpi, some places say a bit smaller like 4.72 or 4.725, but 4.75" should give you enough bleed if you're actually printing, so just go with that.

also if you wanna do front and back that gets a little weird, because if you're talking about legit CD packaging it's not that simple because the back is wider than the front and it's a whole tray card so you also have the fold up tabs, etc

but for just posting stuff online i usually do 500x500 pixels for just a front cover, and 1000x500 for front and "back"

Last edited by pixls (Jan 1, 2011 7:53 am)

Hoxton, London UK
Decktonic wrote:

I really like 350x350 because that's what Bandcamp uses.

Well accounting for bleed, 4.75in square at 300 dpi is 1425px (bit large), at 72 dpi it's 342px.
So I guess 350px makes the most sense.

That's it!

Chicago IL
Shriker wrote:

8bp seem to use 461x246 mostly, (front and back), which works for their particular low-res style.

you gotta keep in mind most of the 8bp art is for 3"/7mm CDs

Liverpool, UK

1000x1000 at 7 trillion dots per inch, anything else is for wussies and girly boys

astral cat

hahahaha. how big are chiptune album covers.

good one.

California

5k album cover challange?

BOSTON

shriker, whats your site? i love checking out album art :3

Hoxton, London UK
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

shriker, whats your site? i love checking out album art :3

It's not much, but it's a start http://www.shriker.co.uk/album-art-giveaway-1-speaker/