Tacoma WA

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2011/01/13/reserved/

wtf.. no usb..  no midi...  no sampling...

not sure i'm super interested..

the one thing i'm curious about is that what the resolution of the touch screen for that many things going on it once it needs to be higher than the KP3

Matthew Joseph Payne

Each of the four effects can only be within its group.

First button is sample based effects, second is oscillation based effects, third is filter based effects, fourth is memory based effects. Can't change their order, can't use more than one from a category.

I can't say that it wouldn't be useful for someone, but I have no particular use for it myself. I have a kp2 which I used to use all the time, but haven't used in quite awhile.

Tacoma WA

just reading seems like a toy.  with the kp3 being the more professional one.

Slovakia / European Union

Looks cute!

New York City

Enough with Kaosspads, unless they upgrade their shitty sounding engine.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 14, 2011 11:40 am)

London, UK

I'd be cautious about using a Kaoss pad for recordings, but live it's another story - used tastefully, those delays and reverbs can sound brilliant. I did a gig a few months back just using a PSP running LGPT and a KP3, and it was great, especially the tape delays and the reverbs which could be used for that "massive reverb snare" dub effect just by touching at the right moment. (And the sampler was great for transitions as well.)

I don't like the filters - they're aggressive and unsubtle, and unfortunately most people's first and only point of call when they get a Kaoss Pad. I've lost count of the number of second-rate live (and Youtube) performers who just leave it on the FILTER1 setting and wiggle their fingers around unrhythmically. Less is more...

The potential for layering four effects offers intriguing possibilities to freshen up the options a bit, but was the Kaoss line really needs is selective-band effecting, so you could (say) add delays to the highs whilst leaving the bass uneffected.

Just my two cents. Kaoss can be very toylike if overused, but that touchscreen offers genuinely expressive possibilities if deployed musically and with subtlety...

New York City

Why didn't they put the filter of the Monotron, change to a new engine? The concept of the device itself is OK but as I said, be it delays, filters or anything, it sounds way too digital, the filter of course being the worse of them all.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 14, 2011 1:42 pm)

Unsubscribe

No one can defeat the quad laser

Matthew Joseph Payne
matt.nida wrote:

I'd be cautious about using a Kaoss pad for recordings,

Did it once, just for a single effect on one album. Goddamn nightmare - couldn't get a good level out of the stupid thing. Never again.

hardcore, Australia

I think the kaoss pad would do a lot better if it could take 2 inputs and crossfade between/process them seperately.
basically im saying i want it as a dj style mixer. im sure they have one of those though.

Last edited by godinpants (Jan 21, 2011 3:20 am)

IL, US
godinpants wrote:

I think the kaoss pad would do a lot better if it could take 2 inputs and crossfade between/process them seperately.
basically im saying i want it as a dj style mixer. im sure they have one of those though.

yo
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kn54 … -demo_news