low-gain wrote:

you can tap off the ground pin on the NESmod pcb if you wanted.
If i remember correctly i made the unused plain on the bottom of the PCB a ground plain.. so anything u see a lot of parts connecting to the same HUGE ground pin should work. but i'd  just solder it to the ground pin on the power connector... Pin 1.. Black wire connects to it.

fit it anywhere you can find a place. wink I put it next to the NESmod pcb. but i also drilled all 3 holes out at the same time so i knew they'd fit.

Muchos danke! Once I get everything in order, I'll see what will work best.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

u could always swing by too and i can install the stuff for ya as well.

I'ma give it a go and see if I can get it going on my own. If it comes to it, I might take you up on that, but I don't really know if I have the time to head up to the cities. I super-appreciate the offer.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i dont think you'll have a problem.  u got the skills wink

Neo Jersey

i assume this would allow for mmc5 as well? is there a way to do this without modding? back lighting my game boy was frightening enough for me lol. isn't retrousb eventually going to release mappers that would make expansion chip sounds possible?

Last edited by HPizzle (Jan 26, 2011 1:31 am)

killadelphia

i stuck a pot between the pins instead of a resistor because the expansion is sorta inaccurate as far as levels go and it lets you dial it in if you're using the mono rca.  i also added a switch to isolate the expansion from the other channels (when using the stereo mod) and gave it its own output.  putting a pot in between the pins is handy - the resistor mod is just to control the vol anyways - why not dial it in.  bucky and i noticed that the vrc6 sounded really loud on an enso's famicom - the vol of the different expansions are not emulated correctly on the power pak.   i also noticed a difference from chip to chip.

Last edited by animalstyle (Jan 26, 2011 4:58 am)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

did you put the pot across the pins ? or ... output to one side, ground to the other, and the wiper to the "input" of your mix bus pin.. either way you should have a series resistor. that way you're simply making a voltage divider for the vrc6 output...before it goes to your mix pin or dedicated output.

if that didn't make sense.. i should just draw it. lol i'm tired.

rochester, ny
HPizzle wrote:

i assume this would allow for mmc5 as well? is there a way to do this without modding? back lighting my game boy was frightening enough for me lol. isn't retrousb eventually going to release mappers that would make expansion chip sounds possible?

i think this mod is way easier than backlighting a gameboy, honestly. at the very least, it's just as easy. it's the same amount of soldering except you have so much more room to work in.

also, those mappers exist currently. but you need to do the mod in order to hear the sounds, there's no way around it.

philly
animalstyle wrote:

bucky and i noticed that the vrc6 sounded really loud on an enso's famicom - the vol of the different expansions are not emulated correctly on the power pak.   i also noticed a difference from chip to chip.

Well, I don't actually know for certain that the VRC6 is too loud on the powerpak. Part of me is suspicious that the saw is too loud in Castlevania from an arrangement standpoint to begin with...
But it did sound kind of annoyingly loud, yes. smile

However, the emulated FDS channel was very noticeably out of tune when I ran some FDS games on the powerpak, so there are certainly some flaws to be found. My general concern/ skepticism about sound expansion is that, unlike 2a03 stuff, we don't have lots of good reference points for how it's "supposed" to sound. With normal NES music, we've all heard it a bajillion times, so poor emulation can really stand out. Otherwise, I've heard the VRC7 sound very different between two NSF players, so how are we supposed to know which is better?

I've begun collecting sound expansion games with the intention of sampling their soundtracks properly from hardware.
So far I've gathered-
Gimmick! (FME-07)
Madara (VRC6)
Akumajou Densetsu (VRC6)
Lagrange Point (VRC7)

I'm planning on getting all sound expansion games that exist (asides FDS games), if non are rare/ super expensive. I'm sure other people have done hardware recordings before, but I'd love to put up something nice and organized for them...

This may be needlessly anal-retentive, but I also wanted to compare a couple tracks from each game when sampled from the RF output of a Famicom, the RCA-out of an AV-modded Famicom, and the RCA-out of a modded NES. Perhaps low-gain or someone else may have some insight, but I'm not too trusting that the 47k resistor mod 'guarantees' the proper levels between the expansion and 2a03 like the original Famicom has. I have no technical understanding to back this hunch up, but I'm definitely interested in double checking the quality of everything.

I guess it doesn't really matter for most musicians-- you compose for what you have, so it's not like the VRC6 being mixed "perfectly" matters for original music. But I figure why not poke around and see how to get the most proper sound for these game soundtracks. smile

Anyways, back on topic-
I also think there'd be a demand for a low-gain sound mod w/ expansion support. To echo theta-frost, I know someone else who was interested in low-gain's mod but passed because they were concerned how it'd work with sound expansion. I'll also put in a vote that you should make one dude!

Last edited by bucky (Jan 27, 2011 1:14 am)

WOW MAN!

Nothing to add, just nice to see Bucky back around these parts smile

San Francisco
neilbaldwin wrote:

Nothing to add, just nice to see Bucky back around these parts smile

philly

Thanks guys!

Expansion Audio Comparisons V1

Included so far is select examples of various Famicom expansion audio tracks, all sampled from an American NES using the Powerpak and the 47k resistor mod. Sampled from the mono RCA audio output.

-Example Tracks-

FDS:
Arumana no Kiseki - Track 1
Arumana no Kiseki - Track 2

FME-07:
Gimmick - Track 1
Gimmick - Track 2

N106:
Erika to Satoru no Yume Bouken - Track 1
Erika to Satoru no Yume Bouken - Track 2
Mappy Kids - Track 2
Mappy Kids - Track 3

VRC6:
Akumajou Densetsu - Track 1
Akumajou Densetsu - Track 2
Esper Dream 2 - Track 1
Esper Dream 2 - Track 3
Mouryou Senki Madara - Track 1
Mouryou Senki Madara - Track 2

Sorry, no MMC5 or VRC7 yet.

Compare and contrast to various NSF players or other hardware recordings from the original cartridges if they're available (I'll be making more of that available in the future). I believe the expansion probably comes out too loud with the basic 47k resistor mod. I'm also not yet certain of the quality of the "emulation" from the powerpak. Let me know if your mod provides different levels than mine as well.

So there's not much to compare anything to yet, unless you wanted to compare these to nsf players. As mentioned in the text file, I think afterall that the expansion is likely too loud from the RCA output of an NTSC NES, using the powerpak and the 47k resistor mod. Like you'll hear immediately how it sounds louder than every nsf player. Is it like this for everyone else? An extreme example is Madara track 2, you can barely hear the DPCM in it.

Perhaps all the more reason for the mod to include a volume knob...

Oh, I forgot to mention that everything was sampled at the same volume as well. I used one of the Akumjou tracks to 'master' to since it was loudest. There's also a bit of noise, and I'm not certain it's normal NES/ powerpak noise. I don't hear it from the same RCA output when I'm only sampling 2a03 stuff, so I think it must be coming from the expansion but only when it's in use. I'm not %100 on this though. Or maybe that's normal if it's that much louder...

Anyways, I was surprised to see that expansion won't work from the original carts using a gyromite adaptor! Whoops. I kind of assumed that would work if the powerpak worked! Why is that? It goes through a pin/ leg that gets lost in the adapter? The games will still work and play 2a03 audio. What would it take for a Famicom expansion cart to have its audio work on a US NES? Do I need to pull audio from a pin on the cartridge?

I'll probably sample from Enso's famicom next and see how that sounds.

Last edited by bucky (Feb 10, 2011 7:58 am)

San Francisco
bucky wrote:

Anyways, I was surprised to see that expansion won't work from the original carts using a gyromite adaptor! Whoops. I kind of assumed that would work if the powerpak worked! Why is that? It goes through a pin/ leg that gets lost in the adapter? The games will still work and play 2a03 audio. What would it take for a Famicom expansion cart to have its audio work on a US NES? Do I need to pull audio from a pin on the cartridge?

The mod is made for the powerpak to send an emulated audio to the output. Any other cartridge wont have the programming to send the audio to that specific pin. The mod is for powerpak only. to run the other games w/ extra audio you will need a famicom to do it. to get the nes to play the real deal you will have to do a mod that gets the audio directly from the pin of the expansion chip and have it sent to mix in with the other audio channels. it is probably do able it would take some time and more know how than i can offer.

philly

Gotcha, thanks! Yeah, fuck it (for now), onto the famicom... smile