Hello guys.

I'll soon get a Powerpak.

I made my songs on Famitracker using VRC6 or VRC7.

I'm about to do this :

- buy a nesmod from lowgain for the stereo output.
- put a 47k resistor between pins 3 and 9

Is that all I have to do ?

Thank you !

rochester, ny

yeah basically, but i personally think it's a better idea to not do the 47k resistor mod. what that does is feeds the vrc channels into the existing audio channels. so it would be like, the pulse channels AND the vrc channels coming out of the same output of the NES mod.

in my opinion, it's better to give the expansion channels their own output, so then you'd have three outputs. it's a really simple mod to do and maybe someone can post better instructions on how to do it than i can. but essentially, you ditch the resistor. and you just solder a wire from pin 3 to an audio jack, and then solder the ground pin on that audio jack to the same place you solder the ground wire for the NES mod.

you can just do the 47k resistor mod and that's totally fine but i really like having 3 outputs on the back of my NES instead of two. also, lowgain's NES mod is a really awesome product. i love mine.

Three outputs would be even better !

however, i don't really get what you said.

do you any tutorial for this ?

thank you nick (I was looking at your internal screen, it's brilliant)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

you can also take the vrc6output pin and run it through 1k resistor and 10uF cap to a 1/4" jack and have that as an individual output as well.

rochester, ny
low-gain wrote:

you can also take the vrc6output pin and run it through 1k resistor and 10uF cap to a 1/4" jack and have that as an individual output as well.

yeah, this is what i was trying to say!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
nickmaynard wrote:
low-gain wrote:

yeah, this is what i was trying to say!

smile

Milwaukee, WI

Or we could wait for low-gain's 3 channel NESMod.  wink

rochester, ny
Theta_Frost wrote:

can i pre-order that now?

San Francisco

I can put up a tutorial if you need. i also have a mixer built into mine. its all super easy mods that is super cheap.

dis is what mine looks like.

tho i dont demonstrate the extra channels in the video.

Last edited by wedanced (Jan 15, 2011 8:21 am)

UK

For people wanting to do this audio mod themselves;

Take a look at:
http://nesdev.parodius.com/2A03_pinout.txt

You can see pins 01 + 02 of the 2a03 cpu output sound, channels 1+2 output from pin 01 and chans 3 + 4 + 5 output from pin 02...
Simply soldering a shielded cable from pin 01 to a 1uf or highter electrolytic cap (+ facing output) to a RCA or phono socket and another wire from pin 20 (GND) to shield on the jack would give you a nice crystal clear unmixed chan 1&2 audio, and do the same for pin 02...

You can actually do this without even turning the board over if you know where the 2a03 is on the board smile - make sure you use shielded cabling.

so:

pin01 -> 1uf cap [- / +] -> RCA jack
pin20 -> RCA / jack shield

pin02 -> 1uf cap [- / +] -> RCA jack
other RCA sheild / jack sheild jumper to this jacks shield

http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chri … tereo.html
^ more info from chris covell here (+ some info should you want to mix your output - i didnt smile

Hope that helps smile

PS - I havent done this next one yet - but I should think that, for the extra channels of audio - once you have done the sound output mods detailed elsewhere for things like the VRC7 just tap pin 03 of the EXT port and hook it up the same way to a third jack for a seperated additional chipaudio out...

See: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/NES_ … ort_pinout
for EXT port pinout...

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
nickmaynard wrote:
Theta_Frost wrote:

can i pre-order that now?

hahaha. You think there's even demand for it? >_<
you're killing me here guys. hahaha
i'll get to it eventually. i remember having problems trying to get everything to fit in a nice small package.
Might go 1/8" jacks this time.. we'll see.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Love the video Wedanced!

Milwaukee, WI

I think there is demand for it.  I've been waiting for it before I mod my NES.  big_smile

nickmaynard wrote:

but essentially, you ditch the resistor. and you just solder a wire from pin 3 to an audio jack, and then solder the ground pin on that audio jack to the same place you solder the ground wire for the NES mod.

low-gain wrote:

As a layman, I just want to make sure I'm getting this right instead of going for it and shorting my NES something good. So, you take pin 3 through a 1k resistor and 10uF cap to a 1/4" jack, and the ground of the jack goes to the ground where the NES mod goes to?
Also, where would be a good place to fit this third jack?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

you can tap off the ground pin on the NESmod pcb if you wanted.
If i remember correctly i made the unused plain on the bottom of the PCB a ground plain.. so anything u see a lot of parts connecting to the same HUGE ground pin should work. but i'd  just solder it to the ground pin on the power connector... Pin 1.. Black wire connects to it.

fit it anywhere you can find a place. wink I put it next to the NESmod pcb. but i also drilled all 3 holes out at the same time so i knew they'd fit.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Theta_Frost wrote:

I think there is demand for it.  I've been waiting for it before I mod my NES.  big_smile

by demand i mean.... enough to make it worth Kitsch buying 30 or more of them from me at once. wink
hahaha