Westfield, NJ

So back to the Rude Boy vinyl, turns out Trace Kaiser was able to get in touch with the people who pressed it and they were really nice! They are shipping copies of the record to each artist featured on the comp. I won't hold my breath... there's still a chance they could be totally lying, but I'm very happy things are going well! Maybe it won't be a bad idea to buy the record after all. You can read the 8bc thread for more details:

https://8bc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=24559&p=1

Milwaukee, WI

Just read the 8bc thread and here's the official Radiograffiti stance -

Don't be so fucking naive. Save money and D.I.Y.

Brooklyn NY US

Yeah, this would really piss me off. Definitely wouldn't be so quick to assume everything's sunshine and roses just because he's giving people freebies of the product he ripped them off with. If this were a DJ mix on a CDR or something, I'd be more inclined to let it go. But you have to go out of your way to get vinyl pressed. It's a lot less casual / convenient of a process.

Winter Haven, FL

Damn.. I REALLY had no clue. Gimme da loot!

NJ

8-bit = Mystic Records of chip music lol

Liverpool, UK
Decktonic wrote:

So back to the Rude Boy vinyl, turns out Trace Kaiser was able to get in touch with the people who pressed it and they were really nice! They are shipping copies of the record to each artist featured on the comp. I won't hold my breath... there's still a chance they could be totally lying, but I'm very happy things are going well! Maybe it won't be a bad idea to buy the record after all. You can read the 8bc thread for more details:

https://8bc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=24559&p=1

Personally, I'd wait until the vinyl is with the musicians before considering buying it.

Unsubscribe

or buy it direct from them!

Liverpool, UK
herr_prof wrote:

even better!

VA
herr_prof wrote:

This will be possible very soon.  I just got twenty copies, I'm waiting to hear from everyone else/total up how many we actually got and distribute them evenly from there.  If I have 5 personal copies, I'll sell three or four to whomever is interested, and I'm sure everyone else will too.

https://8bc.org/images/Cartoon+Bomb/8-b … Boy+Vinyl/

fw blackburn at gmail dot com if you are interested...

Oh yeah, what's a fair price for this?

Last edited by Cartoon Bomb (Apr 30, 2011 8:25 pm)

Whitley Bay, England
RG wrote:

Just read the 8bc thread and here's the official Radiograffiti stance -

Don't be so fucking naive. Save money and D.I.Y.

And you would have us do what, exactly?
Bleed them dry for all their remaining copies? Oh wait, that's what they themselves suggested we do!
Stop the shops stocking them? Whooops, I forgot that getting the sort of exposure possible from being stocked in the single most important indie record store in the UK is bad!

We have been offered exactly what we would have received, had this been "officially endorsed". Pulling it from shops would be being a dick to the distros and shops, and take away any exposure for us.

Being a bootleg pressing, we can't find the person who pressed it (though the distro have taken on the responsibility for the repercussions), and similarly we can't stop this happening again. Then again, NOBODY can stop this happening to any release. The comp was small and thrown together for fun. It's not anybody's lifes work (if it was an album I had worked on for years then I would be considerably more angry). We have reached an agreement in the most mature manner possible, without any ridiculous knee-jerk reactions.

This situation is sorted.

NJ

he meant press your own record, put your hard earned cash, sweat, tears, blood etc into pressing your own music and selling it yourself, rather than be totally cool with someone blatantly using your music without permission trying to make a quick buck off the "squarewave craze" just because they offer you a free copy to the artists.

i couldn't agree with him more.  even after the fact that i still have close to 400 7"es in my closet from 2009 that i'm still trying to sell.

Whitley Bay, England

Yeah, but we have no choice in this. The compilation picked up a shitload of attention on blogs for some reason - without any of us knowing - and then got bootlegged. So we can't like tell them to get rid of everything, because we want to release it on vinyl ourselves... It's something that would never have been released like that anyway, it's rough and unmastered and just meant for a bit of fun.

Obviously if we were to do something more serious then obviously we would do it ourselves. Anything would be DIY aside from this bootleg. However, they are making 69c per record sold, giving us shitloads, and the distro has enough weight behind it to get this record into places like Rough Trade and Turntable Labs. I ask again - what would you have us do?

Because anything else, frankly, would be cutting off the nose to spite the face.

East Kilbride, Scotland
TraceKaiser wrote:

Yeah, but we have no choice in this. The compilation picked up a shitload of attention on blogs for some reason - without any of us knowing - and then got bootlegged. So we can't like tell them to get rid of everything, because we want to release it on vinyl ourselves... It's something that would never have been released like that anyway, it's rough and unmastered and just meant for a bit of fun.

Obviously if we were to do something more serious then obviously we would do it ourselves. Anything would be DIY aside from this bootleg. However, they are making 69c per record sold, giving us shitloads, and the distro has enough weight behind it to get this record into places like Rough Trade and Turntable Labs. I ask again - what would you have us do?

Because anything else, frankly, would be cutting off the nose to spite the face.

They are only making 69c per record? How is this so low when the record is priced at £13/$21 in Rough Trade? It's not like they were paying any of the artists.

Last edited by Sycamore Drive (May 1, 2011 10:41 am)

Liverpool, UK

Worst rip-off merchants evarrrrr

Whitley Bay, England
Sycamore Drive wrote:
TraceKaiser wrote:

They are only making 69c per record? How is this so low when the record is priced at £13/$21 in Rough Trade? It's not like they were paying any of the artists.

It's $12 in the US stores, and comes from a US distro. Guess the price over here goes up with shipping and all that bollocks.

This is an email that Chuck, a guy at the distro with whom I've established a correspondence. This is his reply to me asking what the profits are for this.

We buy 'em for $6.00, and if we sell 'em direct to a store we get a
whopping $7.99 : )

But many sales are sub-distributors or "big" accounts like Juno where
they get 15% off that....so that would mean we sell those for $6.79

So yea, a whopping 69 cents each baby!

They typical upfront costs for a vinyl 12" is $250 to master, $200 for
plating, $150 for labels. Pressing the wax around $1, freight involved,
yada yada

So yea, if you add this up the cat we got these from  prob has not
recouped from our sales of around 120 copies (unless he has free
mastering or plating) ......and then we took 40 out to send to you guys
(rightfully).....

We were told 300 were pressed, so yes we make some money for each copy
sold. But a recoup situation if probably closer to 200 copies sold.....

Fun, a game of pennies....

Chuck

I suppose the shops take a lot of profit through record sales?

TSSBAY01

yeah, that just doesnt add up buddy, the more you say about this, the shadier it looks.

but THIS SITUATION IS SORTED