Whitley Bay, England

Yes, it is. We have been given the same payment we would have done had we ok'd this. The record is being sold far and wide. It hasn't cost us a penny, yet we are benefiting from it.

There is nothing more to be said about this.

On a different, more on topic note - Facundo, if you're wanting to shift at least one or two of those records, I'd certainly like to purchase one from your good self...

VA

edit: settled bootleg drama

Last edited by Cartoon Bomb (May 3, 2011 10:23 pm)

London

Jeeesus you guys.. If somebody goes through all the trouble with putting out a compilation, which I am on, and gives me 20 copies, I would be thrilled. The last vinyl compilation I was on I got 12 copies of, and I thought that was OK.

And to Cartoon bomb: Maybe if you annoy the "big companies" (who made this happen) and the recordstores enough, they will consider not to put out anymore chip vinyls. Mission acomplished?

Again 20 Copies for being on a compilation is a good deal.

VA

more settled bootleg bullshit

Last edited by Cartoon Bomb (May 3, 2011 10:23 pm)

Milwaukee, WI
TraceKaiser wrote:
RG wrote:

Just read the 8bc thread and here's the official Radiograffiti stance -

Don't be so fucking naive. Save money and D.I.Y.

And you would have us do what, exactly?
Bleed them dry for all their remaining copies? Oh wait, that's what they themselves suggested we do!
Stop the shops stocking them? Whooops, I forgot that getting the sort of exposure possible from being stocked in the single most important indie record store in the UK is bad!

We have been offered exactly what we would have received, had this been "officially endorsed". Pulling it from shops would be being a dick to the distros and shops, and take away any exposure for us.

Being a bootleg pressing, we can't find the person who pressed it (though the distro have taken on the responsibility for the repercussions), and similarly we can't stop this happening again. Then again, NOBODY can stop this happening to any release. The comp was small and thrown together for fun. It's not anybody's lifes work (if it was an album I had worked on for years then I would be considerably more angry). We have reached an agreement in the most mature manner possible, without any ridiculous knee-jerk reactions.

This situation is sorted.

Well then I guess it's time for us to start bootlegging the music section! Clearly this is a good idea.

East Kilbride, Scotland
RG wrote:
TraceKaiser wrote:

And you would have us do what, exactly?
Bleed them dry for all their remaining copies? Oh wait, that's what they themselves suggested we do!
Stop the shops stocking them? Whooops, I forgot that getting the sort of exposure possible from being stocked in the single most important indie record store in the UK is bad!

We have been offered exactly what we would have received, had this been "officially endorsed". Pulling it from shops would be being a dick to the distros and shops, and take away any exposure for us.

Being a bootleg pressing, we can't find the person who pressed it (though the distro have taken on the responsibility for the repercussions), and similarly we can't stop this happening again. Then again, NOBODY can stop this happening to any release. The comp was small and thrown together for fun. It's not anybody's lifes work (if it was an album I had worked on for years then I would be considerably more angry). We have reached an agreement in the most mature manner possible, without any ridiculous knee-jerk reactions.

This situation is sorted.

Well then I guess it's time for us to start bootlegging the music section! Clearly this is a good idea.

Lets press the Kind of Bloop compilation, RG. We'll split the pressing bill 50/50 and make a fortune (or 69c per record). The artists can get 4 copies each if they contact us, because that'd make us all even, right? smile

Whitley Bay, England

This is just fucking stupid now. This is gonna be my last post in this thread.

I'm just gonna give you a comparison between the current situation, and what would have happened had we pressed it ourselves.

Ourselves:
Pay for pressing, mastering, labels etc
Try and get it into some small webstores, most likely try and shift them all ourselves.
Hopefully recoup money - most likely not.

Current situation:
Don't have to pay for production of the records
Backed by a distro and therefore in some major shops.
Get free copies of the record. No financial risk.

Regardless of the fact they pressed it without our permission (which is irrelevant as their eagerness to communicate with us and willingness to co-operate means we endorse the pressing) we currently have a better deal than we would have done anyway.
I'm pretty sure if you took anybody's free release, pressed it for free, got in major shops and gave them a profit from it (in our case, records (the remainder of the distro's stock)) they'd be fairly chuffed.

Anyway. I've said my piece (several times over). Go buy the comp if you like because we're happy with it being sold.

Haters gonna hate.

TSSBAY01

that wouldnt necessarily have happened if you printed it yourselves. theres places like musicol who offer really affordable rates for vinyl printing, and maybe then it wouldnt sound bad because they skimped on the mastering. the big difference is that now your hands are basically tied and you have no choice but to endorse a sonically inferior product that was done without your collective consent. im not hating, and i do hope you guys are happy with the outcome of this. personally, i probably would not be and i would put those copies away for a long time. ive been in that situation before.

NJ

it's not about hating. it's about feeling strongly enough about what you put out to put your wallet behind it, and HOPE to make at least 1% of it back.

cool, you get a free record. meanwhile, this dude STILL has the legal rights to the plates for the pressing plant of this vinyl and can press more records at very little cost when his heart desires. even f this record doesnt sell, the bad intententions were still there. i don't know where you are located, but come to NJ and put on any major radio staion, and all you hear is square waves being pushed left and right with shitty lyrics backing it. surely, someone thought this was a good idea to push some slow reggae style jams onto dj's and make a few (key word, few) bucks off it. there's no denying that.

there are plenty of people that have struggled to make their own records and press and try to promote music that honestly nobody really gives a shit about, but they do it anyway, because it's THEIR dream.  i'm glad that you assholes are comfortable enough to hand over your music to anyone. even if it's not for a profit, this shit is YOURS. YOU MADE IT. believe in it, love it, back it, etc.

i'm too drunk to type more, but holy hell man, if you made a catch phrase or some shit, and some other asshole started saying it on tv under the name "dipshit" but still gave you the videotaped episode of the show, would you still be cool with it?

VA

ugggg we're not assholes and some of us aren't entirely happy with it but whatever we got something for show and tell out of it.  It's nice to know that notifying the shop is still an option.  Also, they just killed Osama Bin Laden.

EDIT (sick of bumping):  You are all correct.  TraceKaiser, Facundo, and RG.  It happened, we deal with it the best we can.  I should have just continued in my apathy instead of drinking a bunch and being like, "nah ah no they didn't!".  I guess the distro isn't the culprit.  They told me that they do indeed have records pressed, but that they got this from a "label".

Last edited by Cartoon Bomb (May 2, 2011 6:56 pm)

Whitley Bay, England

It happened. We may as well try and make the best of it instead of freaking out.

NJ
TraceKaiser wrote:

It happened. We may as well try and make the best of it instead of freaking out.

well, whoever was in charge of this comp should really step up and demand the plates and just press their own record. the plates are really what costs money in all of this for the most part, the actual pressing of vinyl is cheap. i don't think that's "freaking out" that's demanding what you have the rights to.

Whitley Bay, England

I was in charge.

That sounds a good idea actually, I'll have an ask and see what I can do... I'm dealing with the distro however, so it may not be possible. I can certainly request that no more are pressed though, at the least.

East Kilbride, Scotland

Also, for future reference, if anyone is wanting to try and press a compilation onto vinyl and uses Kickstarter, if you press through United, they offer a free test pressing to every person that pledges $50 to the cause.

http://www.urpressing.com/kickstarter/

This might be an option for people that want their record pressed / don't have the balls and/or funds to go out and put the money up front themselves.

Last edited by Sycamore Drive (May 2, 2011 12:02 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

United is absolutely horrendous for electronic music. Please trust this advice.

Furthermore, a test press usually costs $5-$10, it might be easier to contact the label for a test directly. We usually send them out with orders at random!

Last edited by RG (May 2, 2011 6:39 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Also, some perspective: we gave CCDM 100 copies of his 7". We gave Hexadeci 50 copies of his 7". Anything less and you are being taken advantage of.