Los Angeles, The Kingdrom

http://chipmusic.org/1000needles/music

We're an indie band thats more chiptunes/bitpop influenced than full-fledged chiptunes but would like some feedback since we are fairly new. Thanks!

Michigan

first impressions:

this is just ok. i hear potential, but i feel like the only way youre going to accomplish this is if you use real hardware. famitracker and lsdj are not hard to learn.

i would honestly encourage you look into learning trackers and such, as i cannot stand the sound of that fake square wave keyboard you have going right now. and thats not based on bias either.

Thanks for your imput! I'll look into those :-)

Yea, like I said, this is a fairly new/experimental project we got going so we're not too sure what 8bit sounds are kosher and which ones are not yet >.<

Right now we're just using 2 midi controllers that use keys modeled with Logic and the YMCK AU plug-in. We also utilize a sampler with sounds pulled from random video games. Hopefully, that's ok for now. We plan to be a live band so the less stuff we have to lug around and set up the better.

Westfield, NJ

Well the mastering absolutely sucks so it's hard to say... but I think there's a chance.

F.S.U. is OK
Towers & Tunnels is pretty good.
Mentor is way too fast upbeat hai hai puffy ami yumi.
Hands of Lightning sounds like a cheesy classic rock cover.

It sounds like you're dancing between cheesy videogame nostalgia novelty and honest rock music... I would prefer the latter but the point is you have to pick one.  I mean, if you pick the former, it has to be really funny and entertaining, otherwise it won't work. The latter gives you a bit more room to show some real emotion. Also it doesn't matter what hardware you use as long as it sounds good... the lo-fi keyboard synths are OK but the game samples sound cheesy most of the time.

This is coming from someone who likes Cheap Dinosaurs, Anamanaguchi, The Depreciation Guild and D&D Sluggers... all worth checking out.

Awesome. I think I know what to do next now in terms of our direction. Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated. ;-)

Stockholm

Regarding the mentor song, you need to slow down the drumpattern.
Most songs are okay. Not too bad, not too exciteting. A bit 'meh' if you catch my drift. Mastering could be alot better.

Other than that, don't give up. You've got potential. wink