Gosford, Australia
boomlinde wrote:

She was hitting on you

awww yeah

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 13, 2012 11:35 am)

Sydney, NSW
Victory Road wrote:

i played a community fundraiser show at a church and this behemoth of a girl came up to me after and said something along the lines of "hey the gameboy music was really cool but you're a massive geek!"

Root or boot?

mainz, grmny.
Downstate wrote:

ha i was just joking man, i always appreciate people saying they liked it after a show sure, but sometimes you get funny fucked up people saying 'man, that was incredible, like the best music i ever saw in my life, you should send your shit to warp and squarepusher and like get famous'....i had one exitable young fellow in red trainers with matching red hat and gang scarf (he was hipster not a gang thug dont worry) and he was like "so you like big time dj in london right then came to smash it in shanghai ?'.....i was like 'er, no i was a nobody pub dj in london, thats why im in china....thats why we're all here rocking the expat tip, cos we suck and get no love back home' haha ..........and yeah the downstate liveset isnt 60bpm entirely like my curent soundcloud playlist haha, i normally have a total different live set when i play saturday night thats just me whacking crunk beats and spastic breakcore on a mpc and shit

Yeah, of course there are some fucked up people sometimes telling you that. This Warp/Squarepusher-thing reminded me of some chick, who had absolutely no idea of music (obviously), coming to me saying: "Hey, you do know that you can make a loooot of money with this, right? It's like all new + has never been there b4!"

I see. Maybe upload some stuff of your liveset sometime?

shanghai

yes i have 2 giggles comin up.....one supporting Mono Poly which will be dope......i WILL REMEMBER to press record on the zoom recorded this time ffs !

ohgodno, Indiana

"Wheres the bass drop?"

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

(doesn't really count because it wasn't meant as an insult, just funny)
"Are you playing Pokemon with yourself" when seeing me playing 2 linked sps. One in each hand.

Savannah, Georgia

"how poor do you have to be to need to make music with a gameboy?"
if i wasn't used to comments like that already i would've beaned him with my cart

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Aeros wrote:

Ouch. If only they knew how expensive some setups can be.

Savannah, Georgia
Auxcide wrote:
Aeros wrote:

yeah i would've brought up my $500 setup i use just to record and master and the $100 that went to getting just this gameboy modded and ready but i figured ignorance is bliss to the idiot that said that

Last edited by Aeros (Jun 13, 2012 3:34 pm)

Westfield, NJ
Aeros wrote:
Auxcide wrote:

yeah i would've brought up my $500 setup i use just to record and master and the $100 that went to getting just this gameboy modded and ready but i figured ignorance is bliss to the idiot that said that

considering the average wannabe electronic musician is running around with their mom's laptop and a pirated copy of FL studio. or if they are a DJ, a pirated copy of virtual DJ.

I love this thread!

I get "real music" (even at a hacker convention, which I did not expect) all the time and being called a DJ, I've been introduced by the wrong name, I've been told to "shut up and put on some _______" My own girlfriend insults the music I make, my family don't understand it, nor do my friends. that's why I lurk here, seeing so many posts of such good music makes me feel validated, even if I haven't posted a link to a damn thing I'm working on.

I've gotten the occasional "cool" and that's enough positive feedback. I'm from Alabama and make music in Nashville so cue up the blues brother's quote about both kinds of music. There's not a lot of validation here for widely popular forms of electronic music...almost none for something this niche.

I do think it's odd not understanding how this stuff gets lumped into techno, given that that's the average person's perspective of anything made with synthetic instruments or instruments attached to a screen. 'Mario at a Rave" isn't an insult. Raves are FUN as is Mario, to you music is a soul crushing search for self expression for them it's a laugh on the weekend.  I think the "unce" comments by those in the scene are way more insulting. But, I love techno, electro, breaks and house in all it's forms so maybe I'm biased.

sorry for the life story.

AANABAY01

did you really spend $100 on getting a gameboy modded ahah

That's still cheap. most metal heads I know spend around $1500 just on their guitar...that's not amps or software or anything else. Music is an expensive endeavor.

Joliette, QC, Canada

Hey your music is really good...come back next friday, I want you to meet the guy that is organizing Dubstep nights in here !!!

Last edited by XyNo (Jun 13, 2012 5:00 pm)

Centreville, VA

No matter what the genre is, you're always going to get haters. To be honest, prior to working more with vintage gaming equipment for music creation, I wasn't exactly sure what those chip tune guys were doing on stage. It's just kind of hard to tell if you're not aware of what working with these old beasts are like and there's a lot of people who are ignorant to these facts.

I would love to see more 'point of view' cameras utilized by electronic musicians and it's something I hope to be able to do at some point. I first saw this sort of thing done by Thomas Dolby a handful of years ago. He had a small camera attached to his head so that you could see exactly what he saw and it was displayed on a large projector. Mixing things like this with other nifty visuals really helps out a performance IMHO.

theshaggyfreak wrote:

[...]
I would love to see more 'point of view' cameras utilized by electronic musicians and it's something I hope to be able to do at some point. I first saw this sort of thing done by Thomas Dolby a handful of years ago. He had a small camera attached to his head so that you could see exactly what he saw and it was displayed on a large projector. Mixing things like this with other nifty visuals really helps out a performance IMHO.

Like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1lDehRu4zo