Rhode Island

So i recently got a hold of a Thinkpad 760EL and i want to throw adlib tracker 2 on it. Well it only has a CD drive and any data CD i put in there shows up as an audio CD. It has no floppy drive, it has no usb drive, it has no network connection. Any thought on how to transfer the necessary files or a fix to the problem i am having with data discs?

EDIT:
Solution: Windows Vista/7 allows for CD formatting changes so you can write Mastered CDs for use in older systems. (XP does not)
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window … format/539

Last edited by 2PLAYER (Feb 9, 2011 5:42 pm)

Canada

Upload the small files onto a network such as mediafire etc.?

Rhode Island
2PLAYER wrote:

it has no network connection.

If i could hook it up to the intenets i would have done so.

☺☺☺

does it have a 9pin COM port? does your newer computer have one?

i use hyperterminal (in windows accesories) to transfer files over the com port, its slow, but surprisingly faster than formatting/writing/erasing floppies smile

Planet Zaxxon

It has a parallel port right? ZIP DRIVE IT. thats how i roll on the old lappy toppies.

Rhode Island

@emar Ya thats what i figured i was going to have to do :-\ was kind of hoping there was a quick fix with the CD issue. time to find a com cable

@O2 dont have a zip drive.

thanks for the quick responses guys

Chicago IL

he's saying you should get a zip drive. i concur.

Rhode Island

ill see what i can snag from work first

Planet Zaxxon

yes yes..... I got a parallel port zip drive on ebay for $6.

Canada
2PLAYER wrote:
2PLAYER wrote:

it has no network connection.

If i could hook it up to the intenets i would have done so.

Oh, haha. My bad=]!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have a parallel port zip drive (and disks) I'm not using.  If you decide to go that route I could give it to you for the cost of shipping.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Feb 8, 2011 5:52 am)

Rhode Island

Update: I found a solution to my issue.

Problem: Windows 98 reading a CD burned in XP as an audio CD with a single track Track01.cda (The track doesn't even play. What a shitty musician I am. T_T wah wah)

Reason: Windows XP writes "Live File System" CDs but Windows 98 reads "Mastered" (A more universal format) CDs. Live File System came after Mastered therefore my Thinkpad has no idea what is going on, hence the confusion.

Solution: Windows Vista/7 allow for CD formatting changes so you can write Mastered CDs for use in older systems.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window … format/539

Now I won't need a zip drive or to connect via COM port. Just need to borrow my girlfriends laptop. Thanks again for the immediate help and for the offer Jefftheworld!