Winter Haven, FL

I was pretty upset that I could see who posted what track. There is not really a hint of anonymity involved here... which is a BIG turn-off for me.
People tend to pick favorites... that's just human nature, I suppose. When I was voting I kept the theme and the composition into consideration. I am not pointing fingers... but, keep the guidelines into consideration when voting. This is going to come off fucked up... but I NEEDED to get it off my chest. I took a look at the last compo. earlier and I was thinking to myself... "REALLY?!!! And this got a vote...why?"
On the other hand... there were a couple of people who CLEARLY embraced the challenge to the fullest...and they got proper recognition in my opinion. I want to continue participating because I NEED things of this nature right now to combat some pretty serious writers block/ambition. I'm just bummed about the ANONYMOUS thing...that's all.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Really really good point Nestrogen. Here's what I think:

1) Adding to the rules: "When uploading DO NOT post a comment attached to your entry. This gives away your name."

2) Adding to the rules: "When voting, make sure you feel the tunes getting your thumbs FOLLOW THE THEME. Do not vote for an entry only because you like it best."

3) Keep chat CLOSED until the listening party begins. This prevents members from seeing who was logged in when a song was entered.

Also… my recent entry is definitely guilty of getting votes even though it didn't follow the theme and I apologize.  Next time I won't upload whatever just to get more entries.

Rhode Island

I'd agree with you here nes, perhaps we could get in touch with the site and see if they could allow for anonymity by removing artist comments when they aren't entered in? This way the artist will not show at the bottom when a song is playing and we will at least get a little more anonymous

Rhode Island

You don't need an artist comment for it to display your name under the song. It's done automatically. I like the idea of locking the chat until maybe an hour before the listening begins. It's obvious when someone logs on and posts.

True anonymity would be excellent. I am all for doing whatever I can to follow things so this can happen or at least be closer to it
. It would be more valuable to me to know that my song was voted for because it was something that fit the guidelines. To be honest, were I ever to get involved somehow in a job that had me composing for some indie game, that kind of result would be invaluable to me.

However, for now...it's just nice to be a part of something where everyone is welcomed to participate and people generally respect each other as artists here. It's nice to win things sure, but some of these themes have resulted in some of my better compositions, and that's worth a lot already. smile

I can see about talking to the guy who runs solidcomposer. I'll try and get in contact with him ASAP about adding true anonymity.

Also: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4036/ … ge-thread/

o_o for real? this is basically the same as the BWC except it's weekly. not too happy right now. sorry, but this intimidates me a little.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Intimidates? It's just a different type of competition. If anything it's much shorter. I didn't make it to replace the bi-weekly or anything like that or try to step on your toes or something.

Yes, this compo uses a setting every 2 weeks that we must use our talents to compose for. His is a shorter compo and uses limitations or stipulations within a tracker/sequencer to produce generally shorter songs with limitations and instructions on how the tracker is to be used. In other words, it will give me something to do while I wait for the voting on this one to be done, or if I finish a song early tongue. I'll still enter both as much as I can.

Also, isn't it a good thing when someone is inspired enough by a chip compo to make one of their own? If anything, I am overjoyed when a new chip compo like this shows up, because it gives me more chances to challenge myself as a composer smile Seriously, take a good look at the rules in his compo and you'll see that it's different smile.

I think the misunderstanding was caused by 8-Bit-Rex posting a link to his compo here. Almost like he was trying to one up you or something, but I don't think that was his intention. I think he likes your bi-weekly compo tongue. Not only does he enter it himself, but it inspired him to make a compo of his own with his own twist. You know what they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" ! smile

Let's not let a misunderstand spoil 2 very good things. There should be no reason why both compos cannot co-exist peacefully smile. If anything I'd like to see more tongue!!

Rhode Island

so many entries in this compo already. im excited to see such a big turnout and its only wednesday!

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Mine will be up there in the next couple days. Great turnout. I'm lovin' it.

Thank you, jredd. You stated exactly what I would have. If you recall, Arlen I was one of the people who fully encouraged this competition from the beginning. Even though I think it is pretty ridiculous for one to get upset over someone else making a DIFFERENT competition using a site based solely on the creation of said competitions, I don't want any bad blood.

2PLAYER wrote:

so many entries in this compo already. im excited to see such a big turnout and its only wednesday!

Agreed!

tongue the only reason I didn't make this competition weekly was because I don't always have time on my hands to set things up. hopefully both of the competitions grow. Sorry about the intimidation thing, i was super stressed yesterday. Pretty much a system overload in my brain. @_@

It's all good man, I PM'ed you another theme. I was struck with inspiration, so I thought it might be helpful tongue.

Winter Haven, FL

Damn... 22 hrs. until the deadline? Gahhh... I guess that I'll bust out a hot one real quick tomorrow morning/afternoon. Or not...

Chepachet, Rhode Island
Nestrogen wrote:

I guess I'll bust out a hot one real quick tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Apr 29, 2011 1:26 pm)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Also, thanks 2Player for plugging both these competitions on your blog!