Chepachet, Rhode Island

Haha...was all in good humor.  I don't actually care in the least.  And I brought Picard along because in the first compo I made a comment when I uploaded it which appeared when the song was being played.  So yeah...I wasn't anonymous anymore so no worries.

LOL I'm sure it was smile. I thought my silly explanation and all the smiles in my post reflected that but it is difficult to properly get across your *tone of voice* via text over the internet ha ha. I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone has contributed I love the idea behind this theme big_smile.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Nah I knew it was light hearted.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't coming off as a prick lol.

Also...fucking 3 math tests Wed, Thur, Fri...but Friday will be an LSDJ cram session to get my kickin' rad tune up there.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Mar 15, 2011 9:13 pm)

I feel bad because I have all this free time so I just chucked a tune up there as fast as I could so that I wouldn't procrastinate and lose motivation lol.

I feel bad cus i can't stick to a theme very well, plus i hardly ever have motivation to write.

At least you had enough motivation to start this competition for goofy chip nerd musicians like me tongue. I've got a question for you guys. I've got a friend who is a very good composer but he writes music with guitar...and so he picked up guitar tab for writing midi's. So, he's done a couple of tunes with a mega drive/genesis sound font. Now before you say "eeeewwww!" Have a listen to this.

http://8bc.org/music/Jabo/Through+Burning+Space+FM/ 

Now if this competition is strictly for trackers I understand. But he can write original music, and it sounds pretty cool through an FM sound font tongue. I also ask, because I have an FM synth keyboard and other keyboards that I can write music on including my modern one that I can get a gritty sid-like sound out of., and I wonder how that would float in this competition. I'll leave it up to you arlen. Thanks. I've got a lot of musician friends but not a lot of them are chip tune writers. Perhaps that would "downgrade" the competition. But I'm just throwing it out there, smile

Chepachet, Rhode Island
Jredd wrote:

At least you had enough motivation to start this competition for goofy chip nerd musicians like me tongue. I've got a question for you guys. I've got a friend who is a very good composer but he writes music with guitar...and so he picked up guitar tab for writing midi's. So, he's done a couple of tunes with a mega drive/genesis sound font. Now before you say "eeeewwww!" Have a listen to this.

http://8bc.org/music/Jabo/Through+Burning+Space+FM/ 

Now if this competition is strictly for trackers I understand. But he can write original music, and it sounds pretty cool through an FM sound font tongue. I also ask, because I have an FM synth keyboard and other keyboards that I can write music on including my modern one that I can get a gritty sid-like sound out of., and I wonder how that would float in this competition. I'll leave it up to you arlen. Thanks. I've got a lot of musician friends but not a lot of them are chip tune writers. Perhaps that would "downgrade" the competition. But I'm just throwing it out there, smile

I commented.  His shit is the tits.  Want MOAR!

Jredd wrote:

Now if this competition is strictly for trackers I understand.

Of course this competition isn't just for trackers. I specifically wrote the rules so people didn't get that vibe from it. Plenty of people use DAWs and you're welcome to incorporate other instruments if it fits the theme, just try to keep it somewhat chippy.

smile it'd probably help if he was active on the forums, as this is where the competition is announced and all that.

Rhode Island

I hope it's not strictly trackers :-P using midines over here

Still gotta set some time aside and get a track done

I didn't think so, (and I should have taken into account that 2 player would use midi nes) I guess what I meant to find out was if this one was all "no fake-bit" status but I see that it's not, which is awesome because now I have tons of friends who would probably be up for joining in the next time around (and now I have more options myself) smile. By the way you all did excellent, I am really excited about this competition and I hope it continues for a long time. Great contest arlen, unless something horrible happens to me next week count me in again. smile

Chepachet, Rhode Island

So, Jredd......you're amazing with beepola......I might try my hand at it......you should lend me some pro tips......I'd tell you "thank you very much" and you can pretend that I'm actually saying "Here have some free Girl Scout cookies in return for your pro tips"......and then we'd fall in love.

In all honesty Beepola is probably one of the easiest trackers to use smile. There are many different engines, but I prefer the sound of shiru's engine so that is the one I am most proficient at. I'd be happy to give you some "tips" but I don't think you would need them considering your skills with LSDJ, which to me seems like a much stranger interface what with trying to navigate a tracker with a directional pad with A and B. Beepola is more time consuming than it is difficult. 2 player is another one that has used Beepola before. Basically, if you know you way around a tracker this shouldn't be too difficult. The fun part is trying out different numbers for sound parameters in the instrument editor. I don't mind giving some tips, but half the fun is figuring it out yourself smile. If you want to "pay me back" how about sending me a game boy cart with nanoloop 1.5 on it tongue?? No dice eh? What if I send money to your address tongue. Alright fine, I'll stop. Maybe I'll just goof around with some demos until it makes noise and record the sound from an emulator tongue. Then everyone can call me a n00b and we'll all have a good laugh. Gimme some cookies tongue.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Yeah I do agree...messing around is the best way to learn.  I was more or less praising your skills tongue

Also...I basically have no idea how to wrap my brain around the latter half of your comment...

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Mar 19, 2011 5:24 pm)

Ha ha, it was a round about way of saying I also praise your LSDJ skills and would like to try my hand at game boy music as well. However when I tried a demo of LSDJ on an emulator it melted my brain at the time, but I was at least able to get noise out of a nanoloop demo tongue. Sadly, with either one I was not able to save it...so I was half-jokingly asking for help in purchasing nanoloop in exchange for some "beepola tips." Because I am poor and retarded when it comes to ordering things via internet.  But I'd help people out with beepola either way because it's a cool tracker and more people should try it smile.Still, I got number 1 over at 8bc and they used to give out LSDJ carts to the winners, but by the time I finally accomplished it they stopped. So I was also making a joke about that. But as usual it got lost in translation. But yeah, if you get suck on Beepola should you decide to try it out feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help smile.

Moncton, Canada

I think i'll try my hand at beepola next theme.

Problem with lsdj on emulators is that the wav channel is usually really really quiet and you have to record it separately. while composing it's sort of annoying.

Yeah, I've heard about that sad.