San Francisco

tfm
littlescale's midi interfaces
clear audio mods
developing news on flash systems for the sega

i think that sega deserves its own space on these forums

sega wasnt just limited to fm there was also the master system and the game gear and the nomad all of which i believe were 8 bit and have had developing accessibility for music potentials asdkflas;dfkasd;fasdf.

Last edited by wedanced (Jan 18, 2010 8:48 pm)

New York, New York

I kind of think it's disrespectful to make an FM section. Sega doesn't deserve to get crammed in with several less-popular consoles and handhelds. You have TFM Music Maker, Mod2PSG, Little-scale's MIDI interface and Tiido's Crystal Clear Audio Mods, and every system out there which would benefit from more research and development: Master System, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD and 32X. I don't see any of the other FM chips being on the move in the way Genesis is. I know I will get behind every Genesis homebrew start-up going in this community.

Last edited by Esopus-dragon (Jan 18, 2010 9:11 pm)

killadelphia

SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA SEGA...

Edited by nitro2k01. Please don't flood like that. 4 pages filled with the word SEGA isn't exactly useful.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Jan 20, 2010 12:15 pm)

Sweden

Esopus-dragon: I don't think it's so much about being on the move as it is about it being something to actually discuss that wouldn't fit comfortably in a shared subforum.

As it is now, we only have 8 threads in the "other" subforum, and we are still able too keep interesting discussions without having threads being pushed pages back overnight.

Last edited by boomlinde (Jan 20, 2010 11:56 am)

TFM would be great if it did stuff OTHER than just FM. FM drums just suck.

It seems there are trackers that cover most stuff, but not all of it in one package.

New York City
animalstyle wrote:

SEGA

Chillax, Joey, this ain't 8trollcollective. big_smile

philly
arlen wrote:

It seems there are trackers that cover most stuff, but not all of it in one package.

TFM is not designed for genesis/MD - its made for the turbo-sound FM modification for ZX spectrum - just to be clear to everyone here... yes you can get your music to play back on genesis but Shiru never intended for it to do anything beyond the limitations of 2 OPN1 chips (the turbo-FM mod) - Shiru said he may make a genesis tracker in the future but theres no evidence this will happen soon - for genesis... XPMCK > TFM

Adelaide, Australia
arlen wrote:

Call me strange, but I actually like FM drums! smile

alex_mauer wrote:

Shiru said he may make a genesis tracker in the future but theres no evidence this will happen soon - for genesis... XPMCK > TFM

Well, I wouldn't hold your breath for a megadrive/genesis tracker from Shiru. I just don't think he's very motivated to make one. Also, as far as XPMCK goes, that may be fine if you're a programmer, but what if you've really only ever done tracking? Personally, I am more of a musician and tracker and not a programmer at all. So, although learning MML may be a more powerful way to produce music and allow finer control over the sound and composition, I'm extremely unlikely to learn it. I write all my music by ear and typing code would definitely result in terrible music for me. big_smile

MML is easiest if you are a true musician.  I'm not a programmer and I think it's the tits.  If you understand standard notation and the hardware you are writing for then you can understand MML.

Chicago IL
Beware wrote:

MML is easiest if you are a true musician.

what do you mean by true musician

Adelaide, Australia

Ah, yes. I see what you're saying. But I don't write my music based on notes but on how it sounds. I don't really care what the notes are, so I guess maybe I'm not a true musician but more of an artist, creator or composer. I use sound to make music, not notes. Though maybe I'll have to investigate MML a bit deeper, since you recommend it. smile

killadelphia

SEGA - lets stay on topic.

uhajdafdfdfa
Esopus-dragon wrote:

LSDj-like PC based DMG tracker running directly on the hardware

Haha, does this sentence make any sense? wink

I guess you are trying to say that you track on the computer while it's connected to the Sega? So it's basically like mGB but using its own protocol rather than MIDI (less flexible, more optimized, I guess). I would sure hate for it to be LSDj-like too, such a waste when you have more than 10 times as many buttons as LSDj does to work with.

I believe it was written in Qbasic (correct me if I'm wrong?), which is fairly awkward, hehe. Do you know if it is has been released/is going to be released any time soon?

smile

New York, New York
ant1 wrote:
Esopus-dragon wrote:

LSDj-like PC based DMG tracker running directly on the hardware

Haha, does this sentence make any sense? wink

I guess you are trying to say that you track on the computer while it's connected to the Sega? So it's basically like mGB but using its own protocol rather than MIDI (less flexible, more optimized, I guess). I would sure hate for it to be LSDj-like too, such a waste when you have more than 10 times as many buttons as LSDj does to work with.

I believe it was written in Qbasic (correct me if I'm wrong?), which is fairly awkward, hehe. Do you know if it is has been released/is going to be released any time soon?

smile

You dropped all the context here, making it a sentence fragment, not a sentence. It made perfect sense. You got it. Sega Genesis should have direct use of the sound, by it's own dedicated interface, rather than MIDI.

Brazil
Esopus-dragon wrote:

Tiido's PC2MD is a cartridge that interfaces the Genesis by PC. I can't tell at this stage what advantage it would have over Seb's interface, except this food for thought: it has a tracker that runs on the PC and plays with the PSG, PCM and FM channels. So I guess in my less than technically knowledgeable English it's like a LSDj-like PC based DMG tracker running directly on the hardware versus MGB.

Is this true? If so, I came.

Spain

A fast and cheap way for the sega sound: yamaha fb-01 + http://sourceforge.net/projects/fb01editor/