I am soon going to have a Gameboy Color in my possession and wanted to see exactly what the importance of the "Pro Sound Mod" is. What are the real advantages? I use LSDj quite a bit and was wondering if there was any use for Pro Sound modding my Gameboy. Also, does anyone know of a good tutorial for front lighting a gbc?

Thanks in advance,
Zizma.

Fort Worth, Tx

umm so i only have one gameboy that has a prosound mod but its a DMG and i just use that one to record on cus it doesnt have the buzz. i hear the gameboy color has a buzz worse than the dmg so im thinking that the prosound will take care of that.

as far as the front lighting goes. good luck haha

Thanks, very helpful. So the Pro Sound just takes away buzz while playing?

Chicago IL

prosounding takes the line level down

it won't change the fact that the gbc has a worse soundchip than the dmg

Fort Worth, Tx
Saskrotch wrote:

yeah listen to this guy

WavFace wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

yeah listen to this guy

Haha. smile Thanks a lot guys.

Melbourne, Australia

Normally on a gbc there's always a high buzz.
On a modded gbc the buzz only starts when a note is started and will stop if the note is explicitly killed.

The pro sound mod isn't "important" at all.
Get to writing some music first, then prosound later.

San Francisco

gbc has become my game boy of choice over the last year. a stock gbc usually has a thin sound and a weak bass. prosound mod will add bass and fullness to the sound for when you are recording. if you only have one gb i would make sure to do the added jack as the prosound wont support the level needed for headphones well.  its all about recording quality. the only thing that people can complain about the prosounded gbc sound is that there is a highpitched whining sound created buy the screen. it is easily worked around with some eq work.

as far as the stock gbc chip... well it is no less quality then the dmg. the difference in sound comes mostly from the components between the circuits from the chip and the out jack. you are skiping those circuits with the prosound mod so there is less interruption from the chip to the output.

both units have there merits. the gbc is less likely to crash with lsdj and is more compact. with the prosound mod it sounds good and arguably better then the bass heavy dmg. it all depends on what you are doing. the dmg can be muddy with its bass sometimes. with a gbc the sound can be clearer.

Last edited by wedanced (Feb 23, 2011 6:40 pm)

wedanced wrote:

gbc has become my game boy of choice over the last year. a stock gbc usually has a thin sound and a weak bass. prosound mod will add bass and fullness to the sound for when you are recording. if you only have one gb i would make sure to do the added jack as the prosound wont support the level needed for headphones well.  its all about recording quality. the only thing that people can complain about the prosounded gbc sound is that there is a highpitched whining sound created buy the screen. it is easily worked around with some eq work.

as far as the stock gbc chip... well it is no less quality then the dmg. the difference in sound comes mostly from the components between the circuits from the chip and the out jack. you are skiping those circuits with the prosound mod so there is less interruption from the chip to the output.

both units have there merits. the gbc is less likely to crash with lsdj and is more compact. with the prosound mod it sounds good and arguably better then the bass heavy dmg. it all depends on what you are doing. the dmg can be muddy with its bass sometimes. with a gbc the sound can be clearer.

Much more clear now. Thanks! smile