Brunswick, GA USA

You can deliberately reprogram your tunes to pan hard left and right, then send the channels to different effect chains. You can plug the channel into strange amplifiers to color the sound on purpose, etc... Experiment! This stuff takes time to learn, and that's part of what makes it fun.

Brunswick, GA USA

er.. As for the sounds of genres, for dub, start collecting delays and reverbs, for dubstep, some auto-wahs and ringmod and fuzz distortions... If you liked the idea of plugging your GB into effects, start collecting guitar pedals or anything that looks interesting or fun.

Wubberdrive !

Philly, PA, USA

I honestly cannot believe this thread has gotten this many serious responses.

San Francisco

ok but for real. if you want wobble in your lsdj sound its all in the wav channel. you want a modulation to imitate lfo. set that shit on pingpong and then adjust your starting and ending volumes and cutoffs. make sure to put the repeat all the way up add a phasing on either the start or the end. you will get a shifting wavey sound. adjust the speed to make the wobble faster or slower. easy peasy. dubstep. stoopid. play around to get the sound you want. less is more. http://8bc.org/music/wedanced/Finished+ … g+LSDJ)+(/  you will get sounds like in the beginning of this.

Last edited by wedanced (Feb 25, 2011 5:50 am)

San Francisco
pixls wrote:

^dis.

and fuck all that advice. you dont need all that extra shit. your using synthesizers guys. learn synthesis.

look. took me less then an hour.

http://chipmusic.org/wedanced/music/sto … dj-dubstep

London, Ontario

HOW DO I ADD WOBBLE TO MY ACOUSTIC GUITAR?

Seems some people have misconstrued my question, I don't want to be a remixing genius, nor do I assume LSDJ has that capability. I was just wondering if there was a way to make my songs more unique live, you know? Like when you see a DJ live they don't play songs exactly they put a spin on it. In any case I'm little disappointed with the reaction I got. I'd have hoped a more "sophisticated" chiptune community would be more helpful when it came to answering a question but I guess appearances can be deceiving. Seems I'll just have to figure it out on my own.

thanks to the people that weren't to pretentious to help out, I appreciate it.

Last edited by pnada (Feb 25, 2011 9:47 pm)

Boulder, CO
pnada wrote:

Seems I'll just have to figure it out on my own.

Most times that's the best way to go about it.

Brooklyn, NY

Hold up here... I think everyone who finds themselves suddenly interested in electronic music has at one point asked questions like the OP's. This is antiquated tech we're talking about, and unless you grew up learning about sound engineering, It's fairly normal to assume there's an "easy answer" to everything. What makes chip neat is that there isn't.

My advice would be to play around within LSDJ before you go crazy buying gear. Learn the limitations and improvise! Start out by looking at some basic 1-channel and 2-channel echo tutorials, which you can find in the tutorial section here or on 8bc.org. Chip music and DIY in general is about working with what you have, and it's really rewarding to discover all the insane things you can do without splurging on all sort of fancy toys.

Bronx, NY
pnada wrote:

In any case I'm little disappointed with the reaction I got. I'd have hoped a more "sophisticated" chiptune community would be more helpful when it came to answering a question but I guess appearances can be deceiving.

My sentiments exactly. I hate to seem all holier than thou, but jesus christ this shit got immature in a hurry.

Look into the echo effects Zen Albatross mentioned, though! If nothing else, they're SUPER fun!

DaPantz wrote:
pnada wrote:

In any case I'm little disappointed with the reaction I got. I'd have hoped a more "sophisticated" chiptune community would be more helpful when it came to answering a question but I guess appearances can be deceiving.

My sentiments exactly. I hate to seem all holier than thou, but jesus christ this shit got immature in a hurry.

Though, in their defense my question wasn't worded quite properly, I can see how it could've been interpreted as wanting a do-everything-i-want result from LSDJ. But yeah, I think I'm going to figure out what creative things I can do with the guitar pedals/mixers and shit I already have. Maybe I'll also invest in an Electribe or a Kaoss pad after some research of course. Anyway I wouldn't want to drag this drudgery on any longer, I got the answers I wanted. So I think this is a good place to end this.

Godzilladelph
wedanced wrote:
pixls wrote:

^dis.

and fuck all that advice. you dont need all that extra shit. your using synthesizers guys. learn synthesis.

AdamGetsAwesome wrote:
pnada wrote:

Seems I'll just have to figure it out on my own.

THESE
also, to make up for my dickishness, let me try to give you some advice:
~~~SICK NASTY WOBBLES BRO~~~
1. Dubstep is an electronic genre, with the vast majority of tunes produced / programmed on a computer using a DAW (digital audio workspace) such as Reason, Logic, Ableton Live, Motu Digital Performer, Cubase, Reaper, etc
Keep this in mind when trying to recreate it in a chiptune environment / sonic field, remember that it is not mainly (though it can be occasionally done properly) produced using hardware effects boxes and guitar pedals. SHIT IS DIGITAL MAAAAN

2. The main sound of the wubwubwubwubwubwubwubWOMPWOMP wobbly tasty bits is a bass trick. It is accomplished by running a low frequency synth (if you're using lsdj, lets say a G3 sinewave in the wav channel) through a lowpass filter. Next, said filter's cutoff (the jawn that determines what frequencies pass through, and what don't) is MODULATED by an lfo (which is, most often, a really low sinewave, though you may use a saw if you like, a square won't do too much sadly). By ATTACHING THE LFO TO THE CUTOFF FILTER, the frequency spectrum of the synth rises and falls in a sinewave pattern, giving you your WUBWUBWUBWUB.

3. BUT I DONT HAVE ANY LFOS TO PLAY WITH ON MY LSDJ / NANOLOOPS?!?! yes. now here's the fun part. you have to emulate the effect described above, to the best of your synthlicious ability, within the limitations of your chosen weapon. I recommend using the wav channel and toying with the volume envelope / alternating rising and falling volume instruments / pitching pitching pitching. Also, if you are looking for that YOI YOI YOI YOI BREE BREEEEE shit, don't CLIP a bitch, WRAP that motherfucker.

fuck i don't know why i wrote all that ish, but there ya go. Experimentation is your best friend.
-go forth and do epic shit

edit, damn my bad, i didn't realize you were done here, well, hope it helped nonetheless

Last edited by SKGB (Feb 26, 2011 2:07 am)

IL, US
SKGB wrote:
wedanced wrote:

^dis.

AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

THESE
also, to make up for my dickishness, let me try to give you some advice:
~~~SICK NASTY WOBBLES BRO~~~
1. Dubstep is an electronic genre, with the vast majority of tunes produced / programmed on a computer using a DAW (digital audio workspace) such as Reason, Logic, Ableton Live, Motu Digital Performer, Cubase, Reaper, etc
Keep this in mind when trying to recreate it in a chiptune environment / sonic field, remember that it is not mainly (though it can be occasionally done properly) produced using hardware effects boxes and guitar pedals. SHIT IS DIGITAL MAAAAN

2. The main sound of the wubwubwubwubwubwubwubWOMPWOMP wobbly tasty bits is a bass trick. It is accomplished by running a low frequency synth (if you're using lsdj, lets say a G3 sinewave in the wav channel) through a lowpass filter. Next, said filter's cutoff (the jawn that determines what frequencies pass through, and what don't) is MODULATED by an lfo (which is, most often, a really low sinewave, though you may use a saw if you like, a square won't do too much sadly). By ATTACHING THE LFO TO THE CUTOFF FILTER, the frequency spectrum of the synth rises and falls in a sinewave pattern, giving you your WUBWUBWUBWUB.

3. BUT I DONT HAVE ANY LFOS TO PLAY WITH ON MY LSDJ / NANOLOOPS?!?! yes. now here's the fun part. you have to emulate the effect described above, to the best of your synthlicious ability, within the limitations of your chosen weapon. I recommend using the wav channel and toying with the volume envelope / alternating rising and falling volume instruments / pitching pitching pitching. Also, if you are looking for that YOI YOI YOI YOI BREE BREEEEE shit, don't CLIP a bitch, WRAP that motherfucker.

fuck i don't know why i wrote all that ish, but there ya go. Experimentation is your best friend.
-go forth and do epic shit

edit, damn my bad, i didn't realize you were done here, well, hope it helped nonetheless

actually, nanoloop has LFO smile

Godzilladelph

OH GODDAMMIT
/me steals a nanoloop cart
seriously how the fuck does that work though? i thought the dmg was only capable of 4 oscillators running at once, though i could be wrong

Last edited by SKGB (Feb 26, 2011 4:58 am)

Brooklyn NY US

Incidentally, posing questions like "How do I {genre or other musical term that does not double as a verb} my chiptunes {with a stipulation posed as though with foreknowledge of its unlikelihood}," from a never-before-seen account with an apparently misspelled username, is a great way to be either mistaken for, or correctly identified as, a troll, and responses received accordingly should not surprise you.