Matthew Joseph Payne

Is this possible? I have a few things which were generated as separate ideas which I would like to combine as one song without re-programming one entirely from scratch into another.

For shits and giggles, I tried simply copying and pasting across songs with all the patterns selected. LSDJ allows copy and paste between songs, but of course it's a slim copy, so it remembers, for example, pattern numbers and their sequence, but none of the information contained therin.

I'm hoping someone has created some kind of Java tool or something to do this that I just couldn't find by searching, or that someone more familiar with writing tools like that would have a suggestion? I'm really not a coder, so I'm just crossing my fingers. smile

BK

I've always wanted to do this, but I'm pretty sure no such solution exists at the moment....anyone want to prove me wrong?

Brooklon

Yeah, this has pretty much been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. Ah, the thought of being able to copy fully between songs...

Sweeeeeeden

This is where I enter and give a vague promise that I might or might not do this in the future. (Who else would do it, anyway?)

BK

thank you nitro! please make it happen.

Brazil

I think this is a dream for everyone. So easy to track and later put a setlist with those songs rather than copy everything (that's what I did two or three times, but never again). Though I do that with lgpt.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

it would be nice to at least be able to hold the copy paste data even when switching songs.

^yes agreed, this should be implemented into lsdj.

Matthew Joseph Payne
xero wrote:

it would be nice to at least be able to hold the copy paste data even when switching songs.

Well, anything that you can copy, you can paste into a different song, but like I said it's a "slim copy" - if you copy a bunch of chains, only the chain numbers move. What this would be is a "deep copy/clone", which would copy all the information related to the patterns being copied (pattern numbers, pattern contents, related instruments tables, grooves) - and then if it were pasted into another song, it would clone all of those things to new chain/pattern/instrument etc numbers, rather than replacing existing ones.

That would be cool, but unlikely. I don't know how much space LSDJ has to hold copy/paste info.

I really feel like an external solution is best (or at least more likely) for this - just a way to combine two .lsdsng files and perform those cloning operations as a one-time thing into a new .lsdsng file. So hopefully nitro will bless us with his talents and solve this problem once and for all. Thanks for even considering it, yo!

Geneva, NY

HISTORY: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/lsdj/message/7053

I was thinking that this would be great for live shows, the ability to smoothly mix one song into the next would be great.

Brooklyn NY US

Great idea on paper, but the tricky parts are things like -- what happens when one or more of Song A's chain or phrase numbers are already being used in Song B; what happens when Song A's instruments don't match Song B's instruments, etc. etc.

Brazil

Holy shit 2005

Bit Shifter wrote:

Great idea on paper, but the tricky parts are things like -- what happens when one or more of Song A's chain or phrase numbers are already being used in Song B; what happens when Song A's instruments don't match Song B's instruments, etc. etc.

You might could have it add, say 10(dec) until there was an unused chain, although there might not one...

Los Angeles, CA

Not knowing what the fuck I'm talking about, my limited knowledge of anything makes me think that with an external program, this should be entirely possible for some reason:

kineticturtle wrote:

What this would be is a "deep copy/clone", which would copy all the information related to the patterns being copied (pattern numbers, pattern contents, related instruments tables, grooves) - and then if it were pasted into another song, it would clone all of those things to new chain/pattern/instrument etc numbers, rather than replacing existing ones.

Again, I know jack shit about programming, but with everything else that's possible, it seems that an external program detecting whether or not a particular instrument (for example) number is already being use, and if yes, pasting the copied instrument data to a new instrument, and updating that instrument's number within the pasted pattern data, should be completely possible. (the structure of this sentence blows, sorry).

Yes, there is the problem of "what happens if a song has too many chains / patterns / instruments / tables" for the other data to fit...that just means you can't paste into that one certain song. Kind of like how you can't add to a .sav file that is maxed out.

I'd use the shit out of this. I already have a few songs in my set where I like to bounce back and forth between tracks and it would be cool to just have the data on one track, without having to retrack part of a song.

Matthew Joseph Payne

It's really funny that there seems to be a lot of interest in this, but nobody wants it for the same reason I do (i.e. separate ideas I want to make into one song, as opposed to combining songs for ease of live performance).

Bit Shifter, I hope Wizwars' quote/reply clears up the way that I see it. Deep copy with a cloning paste is what I'm after. On top of that, most of the stuff I want to move around is incomplete ideas, and I could probably put three or four of them together as is before they even came close to running out of space in LSDJ!

Also, "cloning paste" sounds like some weird sci-fi shit.