Brooklyn, NY

I'd imagine it's just the contacts between the cartridge + the socket, right? So theoretically if one was to solder the powerpak directly to the board of the NES, would it never freeze? I'm looking to make our live setup industrial grade smile

BK

I wouldn't advise soldering a powerpak to the NES, you might end up damaging the FPGA inside of it. You'd be better off getting a new 72 pin connector for the NES and keeping the connector pins clean on the powerpak. That, and maybe finding a way to not bump the NES during your live set, or some way to pad it so that any bumping wouldn't cause the cart/72 pin connector to misalign.

Brooklyn, NY

~*~*~*~careful soldering~*~*~*~ ... Yeah I've already got a new connector, but on the rare occasion, it still fails. Is there anything else that can cause it to lockup and freeze?

Austin, TX

On a related note, I would check to be sure that you're using a quality AC adapter. I have always had better luck with the first-party adapters, but even those can go bad. I have done quite a bit of testing with various first- and third-party AC adapters for NES and SNES. Poor or aging adapters can cause your machine to reset sporadically--not fun in the middle of a game or a set! They can also have odd effects on the image quality. In putting together a gig bag, I always check the adapter itself to make sure there aren't any loose parts. I may also test an adapter by letting the NES run for about 30 minutes. Finally, I make sure to quarantine or dispose of any adapters that aren't working properly. Hope this helps!

Brooklyn, NY

Interesting, thanks! Though our set up is a little weird because we're actually supplying the 5V the NES needs directly from a PSone screen. The freezing happens so so so so so so infrequently, that I don't think it's a power issue. It's just a rare problem that I'd prefer to never happen again, hence soldering the cart directly in ~_~

philly

This is probably the least helpful, non-technical advice, but I find that doing something like resting the NES on top of a folded-up t-shirt or something like that can go a long way in ensuring that your NES doesn't freeze if vibrations from a PA, kick drum, etc, are the cause. But of course this only pertains to live use at shows. smile

Chicago IL
jmz wrote:

~*~*~*~careful soldering~*~*~*~ ...

what the fuck is that

Melbourne, Australia
Saskrotch wrote:
jmz wrote:

~*~*~*~careful soldering~*~*~*~ ...

what the fuck is that

Taking care with your soldering I'd imagine.

Minneapolis

I'd seriously suggest against soldering your cartridge into the NES. It just doesn't make sense to do, and will likely not increase your NES's reliability if it's only having the occasional issue. Point to point soldered connections are always more problematic in the long run, and when it does wind up breaking (and with wires lap-soldered onto 72 x 2 pads, it WILL happen, no matter how clean you make it) you will be very very upset when you have to debug the thing. Believe me when I say this: I did this one time, though with a Game Genie, not a Power Pak. And never again. It was a huge mess, and I'm quite a skilled solder-er.

Bus errors are the number one cause of freezes, and they can be caused by two things: a faulty connection on the 72-pin connector but also by code problems. If you have a tight new 72 pin connector and clean cartridge contacts and are still getting occasional lockups when the unit isn't being bumped then it's possible the lockups are being caused by timing issues on the bus, which can be caused by a wide array of things. The Powerpak is not bulletproof, sometimes the mapper simulations are off by just enough that code which is especially picky may slip up. Of course, NTRQ, Pulsar, and PR8 are also not 100% free of bugs, which I'm sure Neil will agree with. So don't rule those possibilities out.

WOW MAN!
arfink wrote:

Of course, NTRQ, Pulsar, and PR8 are also not 100% free of bugs

WHAT!?

Minneapolis

So, are your updates just feature creep then? smile

Chicago IL
TmTgr wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

what the fuck is that

Taking care with your soldering I'd imagine.

thanks, that's the part i was asking about

NYC

putting it on a towel might help actually. I have the majority of my pins soldered with stuff going everywhere. Just DONT solder the game in. Notendo did this and it works fine, but it also being notendo and doing this for more then 10 years I would still not do this. Make sure the power adapter is the one FROM NINTENDO, dont sub it out, its just one plug. I've encountered a TON of weird things during my bending projects but first I always....
1) get a new 72 pin (even if when you got it they said 'NEW 72 PIN!!@#!@' just get a new one its 5 bucks)
2) clean every contact with an eraser and some basic contact cleaner (not going to say what solution to use since everyone has changing opinions on that)
3) Like Partytimehexalent said, leave it running for a while.

P.S. DON'T use the powerpak if anything is going to be getting bent or whatever on the board it WILL kill the powerpak

WOW MAN!
arfink wrote:

So, are your updates just feature creep then? smile

It takes me a long time to write those bugs.

smile

San Francisco

if you cut the lock out it makes life alot better too. did that and since then no problems.

UK

yes the old blinky light of death is mostly related to the lockout chip - I've brought lots of pals NES's back to life by sorting out the lockout chip smile - http://nesdev.parodius.com/nlockout.txt its not even necessary to tie pin 4 to 0v either...