Hello, I got a IBM 760XL from the thrift store and it powers on and has sound output, but I can't figure out how to get files onto it.

When I put a CD in the drive it blinks and spins a little, but if I click D drive, it says "drive not ready", there is also "A" and it says it is for floppy, but I don't see a place to insert one tongue. It has some sort of NIC with a pop out phone thingy, but we don't have dial-up.

Stuff I have available to use:( ethernet) routers and floppy discs, and a couple cables that look like VGA or serial

Edit: tried "mastering" the cd, and tried playing an audio cd, audio worked.

?

Last edited by Octothorpe (Mar 3, 2011 12:28 am)

Okay It only seems to work on non rewritable CDs, is that true?
(By the way, windows 95 can't extract .zip files... )
smile

Last edited by Octothorpe (Mar 3, 2011 2:56 am)

☺☺☺
Octothorpe wrote:

By the way, windows 95 CANNOT extract .zip files...

smile

wrong, pkunzip is yr friend in win95 smile (look in the C: folder)

☺☺☺
from another topic wrote:

does it have a 9pin COM port? does your newer computer have one?

i use hyperterminal (in windows accesories) to transfer files over the com port, its slow, but surprisingly faster than formatting/writing/erasing floppies smile

Wow, thanks for pkunzip info Emar!
I have access to a semi old computer with a com port and the laptop has one to, just not my main PC.  I'll have to look for a cable, (I think?).
Thank you. smile

Last edited by Octothorpe (Mar 3, 2011 9:47 pm)

Planet Zaxxon

or does it have a parallel port? Then you can just get a cheapo 10 dollar zip drive.. thats how i transfer files back and forth to older machines....

Rhode Island

Update: I found a solution to my issue.

Problem: Windows 98 reading a CD burned in XP as an audio CD with a single track Track01.cda (The track doesn't even play. What a shitty musician I am. T_T wah wah)

Reason: Windows XP writes "Live File System" CDs but Windows 98 reads "Mastered" (A more universal format) CDs. Live File System came after Mastered therefore my Thinkpad has no idea what is going on, hence the confusion.

Solution: Windows Vista/7 allow for CD formatting changes so you can write Mastered CDs for use in older systems.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window … format/539

Now I won't need a zip drive or to connect via COM port. Just need to borrow my girlfriends laptop. Thanks again for the immediate help and for the offer Jefftheworld!

from a previous thread i started when i had trouble xfering files to my old thinkpad. i saw you were running win95 but this may be why your RW discs dont pop up?

Tokyo, Japan

I used a 10 dollar USB floppy drive for my thinkpad 760

02star, I think It has a com port and a parallel port, I will look for a zip drive and a com cord. Which would be preferable?
2player, I tried that before, It didn't seems to work, I used win7 64bit. :/
lazerbeat, how would I use that? I am looking at mine and I don't think it is usb. do you mean put the floppy in it? I don't see a floppy drive either, I'MBLIND. or maybe I have a variation.

Also, I can't find pkunzip in my c: drive, is it in a subdir?

:)

Last edited by Octothorpe (Mar 3, 2011 9:52 pm)