uhajdafdfdfa

so i have had this yamaha midi sequencer thing for about as long as i have been alive (yeah, since 2004/05) and the GM square patch doesnt really cut it any more. what can i plug into this machine to make cool chiptunes. please don't say midiNES.

what's your favourite midi blipper blopper? i saw nice things spoken about shruti/shruthi
something cheap and small would be nice.

MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI

thanks for reading my thread heart

big_smile

Riverside, CA

Arduinoboy?

hey check out the YM synth kit at stray technologies, or google ym synth, i cant say enough about this little synth. its simple, midi controlable, as Wil (stray technologies) says...3 square waves a noise source../ no filters...awsome!., me personally ,nes/gb are great but if your looking for something a little more unique and with a different kind of sound, look no further...its a winner, yell spend 90 bucks, build your own case...bombzooka there you go...pitchbend chip acid, 8bit bass bombs...i use renoise with my ym kit synth,and couldnt be happier....cheers..DK

BK

MSSIAH is good for the c64, and hopefully FaMi will be done soon so you can use that for the NES.
I think the MeeBlip, though technically not chip hardware, could get some nice square sounds out of it.

I would have recommended MSSIAH but the YM synth looks absolutely fucking sick, I'd have one for sure if it wasn't for funds.

PARIS

All the SID based synths are cool too (Midibox SID if you're in DYI... or the Hypersynth Hypersid in between as they are both full Midi synths....) smile)

Geneva, NY

midivox? meeblip? chipsounds?

California

awaiting FaMi and little scale's midi interfaces for atari 2600, sega master system, and sega mega drive

uhajdafdfdfa

thanks for the replies!
i would rather have something standalone than something that plugs into a console (consoles are big and old and i do not like them) or a c64 (c64s are big and old and i do not like them), or even my laptop... smile

i did read in a different thread that the YM had not got any MIDI support yet. but i guess it does. i will look into that, thanks smile

Unsubscribe

The shruthi is really awesome in a hybrid fm/chip/thing with filters that doesnt sound like any specific console at all, but feels part of the family, way.

☺☺☺

yamaha fb-01 heart

California
herr_prof wrote:

The shruthi is really awesome in a hybrid fm/chip/thing with filters that doesnt sound like any specific console at all, but feels part of the family, way.

yeah I am considering getting one of those Shuruthi thingies. they look awesome and have a cool distinct sound.

York, Yorkshire

I'm running the MSSIAH on C64, a Low-Gain LSDJMC^2 plugged into a DMG01 and a MIDIBox Sammich SID.   Based on my experience with those : I think for what you're doing the best option is probably a MIDIBoxSID of some kind smile

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/sammichsid

Last edited by BitPop (Mar 8, 2011 11:59 am)

hey Ant1,
the ym synth does have midi (virtual over usb),  to use say with your laptop and external hardware is easy, all you need is a virtual midi cable(midi yoke, maple etc...) usb conectivity, and a midi in connection to your laptop. (now there are a couple of drivers required to be on your laptop first, before any music making can be done, but they are easy to install and the manual for the ym synth gives you full instructions).
  now if you dont have a midi in, there are plenty of usb midi interfaces under a hundred bucks to keep you costs down(check ebay)....if you decide to not use hardware to run the ym synth, there are also cheap alternatives aswell, me i use renoise due to the amount of midi control available, but the ym will also work with energy xt, and just about any other midi available software....a little side note...if your lacking in midi controlers to control the ym and your laptop has a synapes mouse pad check out livelab.dk's touchpad2midi i love it...but there are many virtual keyboards and such that are free and can keep your costs low...
  also Wil will also mod the ym to your needs(within reason) audio connectivity, mini/micro usb instead of an 6 pin usb cable stuff like that. hell buy two put them in a case and have a ym-chip moster...check out STU-elements or any of his other work for that matter and you'll have a good idea of what can be accomplished with the ym-chip in general....cheers dk

brighton, uk

Have you had a go at sequencing with this yamaha sequencer yet?
What model is it?
How many steps can it sequence?
Is it any good?

I want but do not know

Tokyo, Japan

But yea the FB01 suggestion was a good one, also there are a truck load of other yamaha modules which might be interesting, DX200, TX7, TX81z and the weird ass TQ5 (is that right?) thing