Warrington, England

Hey people im kinda new here and I am wondering if you people have a guide for beginners to Chiptune and how to make it with the actual consoles/hand-helds instead of using a PC to make the sounds.
Me and some friends all studying music tech at college would like to experiment with some Chiptune and between us all have amassed the following;
A NES, Nintendo 64, Gameboy, 2 Gameboy Colours, Gameboy Advance, GBA SP, Gameboy Micro, Gamecube, and a Nintendo DS.
We are all skilled at the music making and the production parts of things like this but we have no idea what we would need to actual make the music and also be able to play it live. All we have at the moment is that Korg ROM for the Nintendo DS to work with.
We are also using Protools with a M-audio MIDI keyboard. Also if it is possible I would like to know if could plug my Keytar into Midines and it work or would we have to use a proper MIDI controller.

So my questions are;
Is Protools the right software for the job?
Will my Keytar (Yamaha SHS-10) work with a Midines?
What other Hardware/software would we need to buy in order for this to work? (taking into account as many of the Consoles/hand-helds we have in our arsenal as you can)

Money will probably not be a problem and other things like Mixing desks can be acquired at our college if needed.
I know it is a lot to ask but this is not the kind of stuff we are taught in college. We are counting on your collective knowledge here Chipmusic.
Thank you in advance.
Dr. Wily

Brazil

Keytar has midi out? It will work with midines if it have, but you have a midines? It's been quite a long time since the last batch of those got out of the oven and nobody can buy it anymore cause the dude is not making any of those for years.

Warrington, England

Does he not make them any more?
Then why does he still have the buy option on his website.
Good job I have yet to order one.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

If you ever want try out LSDJ (program for gameboy or emulator)...GIT AT ME...I'd be happy to help.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Mar 14, 2011 2:52 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Yeah, the midines situation is a nightmare still. Essays could be written on the subject.

Here's rough information on all the consoles you have - I'm not hunting down a ton of links, but all these names are googleable and should get you started.

There are a few different ways to write music on the NES, but other than using a midines, they mostly involve getting a powerpak flash cart to put them on. An alternative carts is currently in beta being made by arfink (there are threads about it on this board) which is going to be awesome, but the powerpak is a great product that is available now.

From there you're basically going to be working with trackers. NTRQ and Pulsar are native to the NES, and famitracker runs on your computer and outputs .nsf files that you can run from the powerpak.

There's a few cool programs for just playing the NES using the NES controllers themselves.

The game boys you have are going to be very useful. They can all run LSDJ (a tracker), Nanoloop (1.x for the classic gameboys or 2.x for the advance or later) or mGB (which is similar in function to midines) but they will all sound somewhat different. There's a lot written about the differences already, but you're best off experimenting.

All of these pieces of software also need flashcarts. There's a lot of drama behind the history of the production of these carts, but the EMS 64MB USB carts are the steady workhorses that everyone has. You'll need a windows computer to transfer to/from. There are other types of carts worth checking out.

If you want to get MIDI into the gameboys, your best bet is through an arduinoboy, an interface designed by trash80 (who also wrote mGB). Your keytar will be able to plug into one directly, or you can control it straight through USB on the arduino. The arduinoboy is very easy to build (with an arduino, obviously), and people occasionally sell them.

There's also software called Pro Performer - a few different versions - which is harder to find and doesn't work on flash carts. It focuses on playing music with the game boy's own buttons. There's also a japanese rom called muddyGB which works similarly but is super noisy.

The SP needs a headphone adapter to get audio out.

Your N64 is basically useless, nothing really exists on it for making music.

The gamecube can run all the gameboy stuff with a gameboy adapter.

You should be able to buy all the stuff you need between these three websites, which are all US based. My understanding is that it's hard to get some of this stuff new in the UK, so if you're getting a lot, you're probably best off just having it shipped in as big of a pile as possible. Maybe I'm wrong and someone else in the UK will correct me? But I think that's the case.
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/
http://nonelectronics.com/
http://www.retrousb.com/index.php (ONLY place to get the powerpak cart)

Bristol

for those GBA's I recommend Nanoloop!
2.3 is my preference but 1.5 also works on the SP and original GBA. Grid based music making with no keyboard. as mentioned above, you will need something to get them in sync. An Ardunioboy is probably best, or check out Little-Scales blog for his sync options.
You will need to solder/program chips etc.

Warrington, England

Thanks for the fast reply's guys.
So im thinking the first thing I will try to do is convert a Gameboy into one of these Arduinoboys, which after a little Googling looks quite simple. Good job too having a background in electronics.
So I understand if I order a MidiNes, although it states on the website that it will take 1 - 3 Months its more like 2 years? That sucks, the MidiNes was the big selling point for me. I presume you can get them second hand on E-bay every so often then?

Liverpool, UK

Yeah, eBay is your best bet for midiNES - They go for loads of money though, don't know if it would be worth it for a one-off college project!

Also, hi from North West England!

Matthew Joseph Payne

Honestly, if you order a midines from x|k, it may never show up. I bought mine on craigslist.

Yeah, the arduinoboy build is pretty simple, as long as you have a link cable with a pin 1 for power, or don't mind using an external power source (or can figure out how to move one of the unused pins, as I have done). Normally it's built as a standalone device which hangs like a tail from your gameboy, but it can be built into a DMG using an arduino pro mini.

Warrington, England

Hello!
@Calmdownkidd
Yeah iv seen them go for about £200 and it is starting as a college project but after some idea sesh's today we really want to start a band like Anamanaguchi.
@Kineticturtle, yeah the electronics should be ok, if moving the pin is going to be a pain there is always the option of flying wires or another external board or something.

buffalo, NY

There was a guy at PAX this weekend who talked to me for a while about some sort of NEW midi NES project he created and wondered where to promote it.  I gave him the address for this website and 8bc, so hopefully he'll pop up soon.

Warrington, England

Ohhhh do you have any more info on this?

BK

I bet you it's FaMi, the Batsly Adams program that's on the way - he's been busy with viz and the DrunkenNES project, but hopefully it'll be done soon. Look him up at batslyadams.com.

Warrington, England

OH I hope he starts selling them soon, and is reliable. aha.