USA

NeX - I'm working on a few different ROMs for you right now so please send me a PM. I need an email address to send them to. So far I have made one that says "Modded by NeX" another that says "NeX" and I'm working on one that looks like the Game Boy boot-up screen(Nintendo logo).

I can post screenshots of them here. Then you can tell me what you think.

Then I can make changes to them if you don't like the font or whatnot.

Then I can send you the ones you like attached to an email.

I can also make inverted versions of the ones you like, OK.

Sweeeeeeden

SD, you don't know this, but after I saw this thread, I offered to do some graphics for NeX, too, which I've been working on throughout the day today.

Also, if you just want to display the Nintendo logo as it is, all you have to do is to make an endless loop (in asm) without clearing the screen. At least on a DMG. Things are a bit different on GBC, though.

USA

Nex - Here are the screenshots

What do you think?

USA
nitro2k01 wrote:

SD, you don't know this, but after I saw this thread, I offered to do some graphics for NeX, too, which I've been working on throughout the day today.

Also, if you just want to display the Nintendo logo as it is, all you have to do is to make an endless loop (in asm) without clearing the screen. At least on a DMG. Things are a bit different on GBC, though.

Cool, I would love to see what you've been working on.

The Nintendo Logo I made CAN be displayed on a Game Boy Color.

If you would like to collaborate on something or if you want copies of any of my ROMs just send me a PM, OK.

great work from the both of you some really inspiring stuff, is it possible to get those a little bigger so they aren't so pixelated?

USA

NeX - Bigger, yes.

I made my Nintendo_Logo ROM look exactly like the Nintendo logo you see when you boot-up a Game Boy(DMG), a perfect replica.

But you obviously mean make the "Modded by NeX" text bigger. Can do.

Do you like the font of the Modded_by_NeX ROM? - I drew it by "hand", No Copy/Pasting.

It is damn near impossible to make some things look "less pixelated" when speaking in terms of GB graphics. So I choose to embrace a highly pixelated style.

I can try to draw "Modded by Nex" in a less pixelated font style. I do have a good amount of pixels to work with.

But over-complicating something pure and simple usually leads to frustration and disaster.

Try drawing exactly what you want by hand, post a picture of it here, and I'll see if I can replicate it.

Thanks so much for your input.

USA

Better?

Its bigger but still written in a very pixelated font. I tried to emphasize the word NeX. It does look much cooler on a real DMG screen.

I wish I could have more space to draw with. The black rectangle below represents the actual space that I'm limited within.
(With the current GB ROM I'm using)

I just need a new ROM to work with.

I'm in the process of finding something better.

I wish I had the ability to make a GB ROM similar to No-carrier's GalleryNES or GlitchNES.

If any of you have the skills PLEASE HELP.

Sweeeeeeden

So this is what I've done so far for NeX:

The ROM comes in two flavours: One with a fixed background and one with a scrolling background. The one with the scrolling background isn't completed yet; it needs a lot more manual tweaking because I'm using a hack to simulate the effect a big moving background plane, something that isn't possible using only the hardware functionality. Right now that version has blocky gaps where I haven't fixed the effect.

Admittedly, I "cheated" by using Photoshop to create the initial text, but that doesn't mean it was effortless. Still a lot of tweaking and fixing, not to mention the assembly language coding.

ROMs for those who want to check it out: http://www.gg8.se/temp/nex-roms.zip

USA

Nitro2k01 - Very nice work!

I just tried to hack your ROM using the program yy-chr and it seems impossible.

I wish I had your skills.

Can you help me by making a GB ROM that I can easily tilehack with yy-chr?

I really need a GB ROM that can display multiple fullscreen images.

You have an incredible amount of skills!

Can I have a custom graphic that would just flash "CUNTFUCKER" and have rotating swastikas?

USA

Heosphoros - No.

Fine, I'll take my money elsewhere.

USA

Any serious requests?

USA

Heosphoros -

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Mar 21, 2011 4:56 am)

woah omfg!!! seriously you guys you have some raw talent! thanks sooo much SurfaceDragon, your work is great and i am impressed with your home made fonts, but wow i think nitro just won all my internets for the whole month! i tried the static rom out and it is just beautiful! what a legend!!!!!!!!

USA

Thank you Nex!

I wish I had nitro2k01's knowledge and abilities. ^_^

He actually "made" his ROMs, I just hacked the graphics in mine.

I'm not going to be upset if you choose to use his ROMs rather than mine.

His ROMs look pretty damn amazing!

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Mar 21, 2011 6:29 pm)