Los Angeles, CA

I'm looking for chipmusic artists to perform (and exhibitors to exhibit, and attendees to attend!) at my new Developer Interest Group meetings! I'm intending to have two short 10 minute sets. The event is at the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society (LASFS) in North Hollywood, CA. I'll be arriving for setup at 7pm and opening the doors officially at 7:30pm.

What is the Developer Interest Group?

Developer Interest Group is a group for people who are active in the geek arts. Initially, it was to be a game developer meetup group, but as those groups end up getting filled with lawyers, HR people, PR people, insurance salesmen, and people who don't create anything at all, I decided to open the doors to people who develop all manner of geek arts, kind of an "open-mike" for people who actually make stuff, with an emphasis on the the digital. Sort of like a science fair, only it's for the geek arts and sciences! The idea is to give the feedback of a human audience to media that rarely gets a public viewing. Something that harkens back to the old "computer user groups" back in the 80's.

I want people to SHOW OFF! Bring your art, games you have made (finished or not!), interesting flash experiments, Arduino projects, chipmusic, kinect hacks, steampunk paraphernalia, indie or web comics, home-made animations, independent films, original machinima works, game mods, science fiction or fantasy writings, robots, Lego artworks, laptop symphonies... anything that might be enjoyed by gamers, makers, computer geeks, scifi fans, hackers, engineers, chip musicians and synthesists, electronics hobbyists... you get the idea!

Selling merch is ok, but if you sell anything, donating a little of earnings to cover the costs is appreciated. Actually, donating a little to cover the cost for the space is appreciated anyway wink Even if you don't get to perform, you are still welcome to grab some table space and sell merch and demo your music (bring a player and headphones so people can hear your tracks without everybody blasting at once!)

If you don't have anything to show, this is still a great place to meet interesting, like-minded, creative people, and see some great stuff. I'm going to try and have some chip-music bands play short sets, and I might let people say a few words about their stuff if it seems interesting.

The venue has sodas and coffee/tea, but no real food. We might bring some snacks. We might have an aftermeeting later at the Coral Cafe down the road (as is traditional for the LASFS), but that is to be determined.

One thing I want to make clear: this is an event for developers, artists, musicians, writers, designers, engineers, filmmakers, producers, directors, and other creative folk. Gamers and students: sure, we need an audience! This is *NOT* the event for lawyers, PR people, HR people, insurance salesmen, etc. unless they have a genuine interest in the exhibits. This is not about schmoozing or business opportunities. This is not your dad's industry meetup group. It's about sharing the things we do and the things that we love.

One last thing: The venue has no internet service, so exhibits will have to be able to run without it unless you have some sort of internet device of your own.

Table space is limited, but currently plenty of space is available, so please contact us to let us know if you would like some exhibit space.

Please help us to get the word out!

For more information and table reservations, please contact:
Tim Trzepacz
(818) 588-6344
[email protected]

Developer Interest Group
1st Wednesday of Every Month
at 7:30- 9:30 pm
at the
Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society
11513 Burbank Blvd., North Hollywood, CA 91601-2309
http://lasfs.org