Brooklon

Cheers guys. Much help smile

Brooklon

Heyyy so I finally got around to trying out the maxpat and let me see if I get this straight: communication from the maxpat to the arduinoboy is done by USB to arduino or MIDI i/o? If it's MIDI i/o that kinda screws me since my arduinoboy is only built for MIDI out. Would there be any other way to modify the delay parameter? I can't handle all these dropped notes.. Thanks in advance!

Unsubscribe

You can manually change the values in the code, I think trash posted their location elsewhere in this thread or on the forum.

Brooklon

Yeaaah he did. I was just having a hard time finding the memory setting that allowed me to save changes to the arduinoboy when modifying the code. Without it, code changes aren't saved. Thought the maxpat might be an easy work around till I found it works with midi I/O instead of USB. Back to the code! Thanks.

Unsubscribe

You should just have to edit the sketch and reupload it using the arduino software. The maxpat automates this over sysex.

You might also be able to just convert the ftdi to usb midi interface:
http://dimitridiakopoulos.com/hiduino

Hi!
Is there a way to have two gameboys synced, one used as a sequencer to control an external instrument, and one used as a normal gameboy?

BK

One method might be to have one running LSDJ and the other running MGB, allowing you to sequence the external instrument and then MIDI thru taht instrument to the other game boy running MGB... but I don't think you can do two game boys running LSDJ, one sending midi and the other sending clock to the first.

Herr_prof, whats your take? I remember you saying it wouldn't work with two game boys sequencing hardware and syncing to one another, but this sounds like there may be some leeway...

Unsubscribe

You could do it with two aboys, one as a midi master the other running as a LIVEMAP / SYNCMAP slave.

herr_prof wrote:

You could do it with two aboys, one as a midi master the other running as a LIVEMAP / SYNCMAP slave.

Yes I imagined that a setup like this would work, but I only got one aboy at the moment so I couldn' t test...
With this setup, would there be a way for the second gameboy to 'follow' the first one?
For instance if the first one is in live mode, and that I choose to play a line again, is it possible for the cursor of the second one, to follow the first ?

Unsubscribe

You can control the following:
    LIVEMAP - Lsdj will use its own clock, but a incoming midi note will cue midi note # to song row # in live mode.

so basically you can have live mode on gb a send a midi note via a chain, and it will trigger chains on the dmg via whatever note number you send it, like how ableton works.

so no cursor, and no song loading, but as long as you manually load the project on the slave dmg it should more or less stay in sync.

herr_prof wrote:

You can control the following:
so basically you can have live mode on gb a send a midi note via a chain, and it will trigger chains on the dmg via whatever note number you send it, like how ableton works.

Yes, I tried this with ableton, I was able to control the song position by launching different clips.

But I think that it would be great to have a mode when the second GB follows the first one. This would easily allow 8 tracks songs to be played in live, and we could use a whole voice to send CC and program changes to external instruments...
What do you think?

Unsubscribe

Im not the dev, but from what I understand there isnt enough cpu/serialport bandwidth to have both sync and midi out data at this time. There are people who have modded their gameboy to control another one as you describe, by connecting the buttons of one directly into the cpu of another for true mirror control.

herr_prof wrote:

Im not the dev, but from what I understand there isnt enough cpu/serialport bandwidth to have both sync and midi out data at this time. There are people who have modded their gameboy to control another one as you describe, by connecting the buttons of one directly into the cpu of another for true mirror control.

Humm interesting!
But if you send midi notes, say one per line, you don' t need the sync!
Because even if you are out of sync, you resync at every line so you have one chain that can be a bit out of sync, but no more
I tried to subscribe to the arduinoboy google group but it is an invite only group....

Unsubscribe

It doesn't work that way, it's a trigger of the phrase so it won't trigger exactly on the beat unless you have single note patterns with hops.

Brooklon
herr_prof wrote:

You should just have to edit the sketch and reupload it using the arduino software. The maxpat automates this over sysex.

You might also be able to just convert the ftdi to usb midi interface:
http://dimitridiakopoulos.com/hiduino

I mean, I've definitely tried that as I built the arduinoboy in the first place and fully understand how to use an arduino - what trash80 said a little bit back was that just uploading the sketch with changes to things like midi channel and delay don't actually do anything because *insert magical reason I don't understand*. I've tried a number of times to simply edit midi channel parameters etc and it always defaults to the same 1,2,3,4. I don't get it. It doesn't make any sense to me as the arduinoboy code is being edited and reuploaded post-edit, theoretically replacing the previous code - so how could it default to the original paramaters if the code doesnt have the original parameters stored elsewhere? This is really confounding me. Might just end up buying a premade - pretested arduinoboy tbh. Hmm.

edit: im good at quotes

Anybody got an ab to sell? haha

Last edited by Note! (Nov 13, 2013 4:46 am)

Unsubscribe

Oh then I have no idea, never used a aboy wo midi I/o.

Last edited by herr_prof (Nov 13, 2013 4:24 am)