Los Angeles
ashimoke wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

How do you switch between midi master mode and the lsdj midi out mode if it has no buttons?

I change the code.

Thank you guys very much for your help. Nothing sems to work so I'll just leave it for a while and get back to it latter. Maybe with more fancy arduinoboy.

I just remembered something else, if you are not using the Gameboy's data out pin/wire (the wire that should be plugged into a.in 1), short it to ground. it wont work otherwise due to the hackery of making the gameboy communicate faster.

Spokompton
trash80 wrote:
ashimoke wrote:

I change the code.

Thank you guys very much for your help. Nothing sems to work so I'll just leave it for a while and get back to it latter. Maybe with more fancy arduinoboy.

I just remembered something else, if you are not using the Gameboy's data out pin/wire (the wire that should be plugged into a.in 1), short it to ground. it wont work otherwise due to the hackery of making the gameboy communicate faster.

Does that apply to scienceguy8 arduinboys? I'm using one and I'm having several problems. For starters, slave isn't working on the modified LSDJ 4.0.8, although it does on the official 4.0.7 - haven't tried 4.2.0 or anything between. On the modified 4.0.8, it responds to a start message but ignores the clock.

MIDI is being transmitted but it seems like the bytes are somehow getting transmitted in the wrong order - there's not much correlation between the type of command and what MIDI command is sent, but it changes depending on the channel and value.

Also it will not transmit a message more than once in a pattern, even if they have different values. And it only transmits for the first loop of the pattern.

Los Angeles
undergroundclouds wrote:
trash80 wrote:

Does that apply to scienceguy8 arduinboys? I'm using one and I'm having several problems. For starters, slave isn't working on the modified LSDJ 4.0.8, although it does on the official 4.0.7 - haven't tried 4.2.0 or anything between. On the modified 4.0.8, it responds to a start message but ignores the clock.

MIDI is being transmitted but it seems like the bytes are somehow getting transmitted in the wrong order - there's not much correlation between the type of command and what MIDI command is sent, but it changes depending on the channel and value.

Also it will not transmit a message more than once in a pattern, even if they have different values. And it only transmits for the first loop of the pattern.

Did you try "MIDI" mode instead of SLAVE? He might of changed something on the newer version of LSDJ. It doesnt apply to the science guy arduinoboys because that wire is connected, and it only affected MIDIOUT mode.

Spokompton

I did try MIDI mode. That didn't work, either. I'm not as concerned about slave (though some other people may be) as I am about the fact that MIDIOUT is currently not useable. I have a spare cart and a mega memory card. The one I burned the modified ROM with MIDIOUT to has been kinda flaky so I'll try the other one, but with the nature of the problem (it really seems like out-of-order bytes) I'm thinking the cause lies somewhere in the Arduinoboy.

I got a weird Java overflow error when I first tried to compile and verify the code - don't know whether that's significant. But when I tried it again, it compiled & uploaded OK and seems to be working properly otherwise, although it's a little flaky - sometimes it stops responding and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to wake it up.

Los Angeles

have you tried using the editor software that comes with arduinoboy? Do you have midi in and out on your computer? if so try using the editor software and change the bit and byte delay settings for MIDI OUT mode. set the byte delay to 0 and the bit delay to like 60 or 80.

Spokompton

Yup, sorry, should've mentioned that. The delay was already set to 60 when I opened the editor. I tried it at both 80 and 40 and it had the same results.

I'm testing it with a GBA SP. I tried it with a couple of DMGs and a couple of sets of batteries (which both were somewhat drained but not affecting behavior or LED brightness, etc.) and it wouldn't turn on at all with either of them. I am thinking of hooking up some external power but I don't have any spare DC input or USB-mini jacks laying around.

Los Angeles
undergroundclouds wrote:

Yup, sorry, should've mentioned that. The delay was already set to 60 when I opened the editor. I tried it at both 80 and 40 and it had the same results.

I'm testing it with a GBA SP. I tried it with a couple of DMGs and a couple of sets of batteries (which both were somewhat drained but not affecting behavior or LED brightness, etc.) and it wouldn't turn on at all with either of them. I am thinking of hooking up some external power but I don't have any spare DC input or USB-mini jacks laying around.

The higher the number the more delay but the more stable.
try like 120? Though sp/gbc has a faster clock so 60 should be more than fine.

Also for midi out did you correct your scienceguy8's midi out wires? some of the units had to be altered because the midi output wires are reversed.

Does the arduinoboy blink lights to the messages in lsdj?

Spokompton
trash80 wrote:

The higher the number the more delay but the more stable.
try like 120?

Yup, same behavior tongue

trash80 wrote:

Though sp/gbc has a faster clock so 60 should be more than fine.

That's what I was expecting too.

trash80 wrote:

Also for midi out did you correct your scienceguy8's midi out wires? some of the units had to be altered because the midi output wires are reversed.

Ooh, didn't try that. Was that mentioned previously in this thread?

trash80 wrote:

Does the arduinoboy blink lights to the messages in lsdj?

The blinking correlates to the transmission - it does blink every time I'm seeing messages transmitted from my GBA to my Remote Zero in MIDI-OX. However, as I mentioned previously, it only seems to be transmitting a message a maximum of once every time I start the pattern. If I let the pattern continue looping after one playthrough, it will not transmit anything for the second iteration of the pattern or any following.

Czech republic

I wish someone would confirm ho got it working tongue
I'm in a process of rebuilding my arduinoboy, gutting my DMG-07 and hacking the code. Again. I just want this so much!

Spokompton

Seriously, is this working for anyone but herr_prof (edit: and trash80 of course) ? I'm pretty sure that the problem lies at least somewhat with the modified ROM, since the slave functionality of the new Arduinoboy build still works with the the official ROM. And the fact that the lights seem to be consistent with the MIDI output.

I'm wondering if for some reason the ROM that Johan uploaded got messed up but since Peter's is working, his is OK. Or did someone else get Johan's working?

Would it be kosher (let alone useful) to post an MD5 hash of the file? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Last edited by undergroundclouds (May 8, 2011 8:53 pm)

Unsubscribe

fwiw im using the latest johan supplied rom. using default aboy code with no modifications, configured via the maxpat.

I think the scienceguy issue should be tested before you worry about md5 issues.

edit: here is the fix he sent:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scienceguy8/4707194840/

You should be able to at least visually confirmed everything looks ok.

Last edited by herr_prof (May 8, 2011 10:02 pm)

Spokompton

Yup, mine's wired correctly. Which I thought was the case because w/ the official ROM, master and slave work correctly.

Los Angeles
undergroundclouds wrote:

Yup, mine's wired correctly. Which I thought was the case because w/ the official ROM, master and slave work correctly.

Not like it should matter but is the chip in your arduinoboy a atmega 168 or a atmega 328?

I'll head over to my shop this week and build a new arduinoboy as I dont have a "stock" one, to verify all the code. I know mGB mode is broken on the current version because I can see a typo, but I want to make sure there are no other weird bugs before I release the next version.

Spokompton
trash80 wrote:

Not like it should matter but is the chip in your arduinoboy a atmega 168 or a atmega 328?

It's a 328. I actually have two 328s, because I bought an Uno a little while after I bought an Arduinoboy. I burned it onto the one that came with the Uno so I currently have one for both the version that shipped with the Scienceguy8 version, and the latest version. I'm going to try burning the new version to the other chip after I back up the old version that's currently on it.  I doubt that I have a dud 328 but I may as well rule that out.

trash80 wrote:

I'll head over to my shop this week and build a new arduinoboy as I dont have a "stock" one, to verify all the code. I know mGB mode is broken on the current version because I can see a typo, but I want to make sure there are no other weird bugs before I release the next version.

Sweet. Thanks for looking into it.

Matthew Joseph Payne

By the way, this very accurately describes the problem I mentioned earlier in the thread and am still having. Seemly random and very occasional MIDI signals being sent, scienceguy arduinoboy with known correct wiring (I've sent MIDI thru many a time). I hope there's some kind of answer for this!

Let me know if I can offer any other info to help.

rochester, ny

i have no idea if this is related to anything but i wanted to mention it here.

i upgraded lsdj to the beta version with the new midi out features. this was before i realized i had to upgrade my arduinoboy's programming too. anyways, i continue using this beta lsdj version for a while with no problems at all.

a week or two later, i'm playing a show and i decided to bust out my sync cable and play some of my 2xDMG songs. i can't remember for sure but i think the gameboy that had the beta lsdj on it was in slave mode. a few measures into the first song and the gameboy crashes. the screen just goes totally blank. i restart it and try again. same thing. i restart it again and all my songs are gone. SAV data is totally gone.

i have no idea if this is connected at all to the new version of lsdj that i was using but the problems only happened once i started trying to sync it to stuff. it was probably something else.