Spokompton
kineticturtle wrote:

By the way, this very accurately describes the problem I mentioned earlier in the thread and am still having. Seemly random and very occasional MIDI signals being sent, scienceguy arduinoboy with known correct wiring (I've sent MIDI thru many a time). I hope there's some kind of answer for this!

Let me know if I can offer any other info to help.

Well, at least there's some consistency to the issue. That's encouraging.

I just want to make this clear if I haven't already: in the new version of Arduinoboy, slave mode works just fine with the official 4.2.0 LSDJ ROM - in fact I just tested the MIDI thru and that is copacetic too. But I can't get slave mode to work beyond recognizing a start command with the modified 4.0.8 ROM. And that's why I think the ROM is part of the problem.

I might poke around in the Arduinoboy code to see what I can do, but for the aforementioned reason I'm doubtful that I'll be able to get it working. I really think something is screwy with that modified 4.0.8 ROM.

Unsubscribe

Come to think of it, i have NOT updated my aboy code, just the Johan rom. Sorry for missing that detail.

Here is the aboy sketch im using atm:

http://toilville.com/files/Arduinoboy1_2_0.zip

Maybe that will help..

Unsubscribe

duplicate!

Last edited by herr_prof (May 9, 2011 1:26 pm)

Spokompton
herr_prof wrote:

Come to think of it, i have NOT updated my aboy code, just the Johan rom. Sorry for missing that detail.

Here is the aboy sketch im using atm:

http://toilville.com/files/Arduinoboy1_2_0.zip

Maybe that will help..

Interesting... unfortunately I just tried it and it's the same deal - transmitting the wrong message. Although it sometimes transmits for loops after the first one where the one on Google Code only transmits only on the first loop.
So if you updated the Johan ROM, does that mean you're using a different one from the one he linked here? If so is there any way you could provide it? I can forward you my receipt for purchase or whatever.

Unsubscribe

Nope thats what im using. You dont have another gameboy to try it out on do you? My scienceguy refused to work on one of my modded dmgs but worked fine on the others.

Last edited by herr_prof (May 9, 2011 2:14 pm)

Spokompton
herr_prof wrote:

Nope thats what im using. You dont have another gameboy to try it out on do you? My scienceguy refused to work on one of my modded dmgs but worked fine on the others.

I do. I vaguely remember (should've documented this better) that before I updated the Arduinoboy was working with my brick that has a nonfinite backlight. Then after I updated, it wouldn't light up, I assumed because the improved speed used more power or something (which might be a stupid assumption). I have a switch for the backlight, and when I turned it off it still wouldn't work. I do have another, unmodded DMG I can try it on - I'll give that a shot when I get home.

Also I just bought some Eneloops yesterday so I might try those when I get home.

The functionality from the previous version works fine w/ my GBA SP.

Los Angeles
kineticturtle wrote:

By the way, this very accurately describes the problem I mentioned earlier in the thread and am still having. Seemly random and very occasional MIDI signals being sent, scienceguy arduinoboy with known correct wiring (I've sent MIDI thru many a time). I hope there's some kind of answer for this!

Let me know if I can offer any other info to help.

Missed notes are resolved by bumping up the delay setting. The delay setting is all about how busy the gameboy is. If you make crazy busy songs, bump up the bit delay to a high number and slowly drop it down until its stable. try like 120 for the bit delay with a multiplier of 0.

Los Angeles
nickmaynard wrote:

i have no idea if this is connected at all to the new version of lsdj that i was using but the problems only happened once i started trying to sync it to stuff. it was probably something else.

Unrelated. Could be the cart contacts on the gameboy, or something else simular.

Los Angeles

Tested my new code, got mGB working. As far as MIDIOUT mode, it worked out of the box.

undergroundclouds are you sure you have MIDIOUT mode selected on the arduinoboy?
It's when all lights flash.
Also are you sure your using the right commands? By default "N" sends a note at the hex value, "Q" sends a note relative to the LSDJ channel's pitch, "X" sends a midi CC, and "Y" sends program change.

Matthew Joseph Payne
trash80 wrote:

Missed notes are resolved by bumping up the delay setting.

After your last suggestion of delay settings, I tried a wide variety of settings, including 120,0, and higher. And lower. No luck.
I have also tried it with multiple DMGs, and a GBC.

undergroundclouds wrote:

Also I just bought some Eneloops yesterday so I might try those when I get home.

I use eneloops almost exclusively in my gameboys.

Los Angeles
kineticturtle wrote:
trash80 wrote:

Missed notes are resolved by bumping up the delay setting.

After your last suggestion of delay settings, I tried a wide variety of settings, including 120,0, and higher. And lower. No luck.
I have also tried it with multiple DMGs, and a GBC.

Try 80 with 1. Thats what I have working nicely now on a dmg.

Los Angeles

also be sure to click "send and save changes"

Spokompton
trash80 wrote:

Tested my new code, got mGB working. As far as MIDIOUT mode, it worked out of the box.

undergroundclouds are you sure you have MIDIOUT mode selected on the arduinoboy?
Also are you sure your using the right commands? By default "N" sends a note at the hex value, "Q" sends a note relative to the LSDJ channel's pitch, "X" sends a midi CC, and "Y" sends program change.

Yup. Got all the lights flashing, and there's definitely bytes coming from the MIDI output, they're just the wrong ones. I've tried all 4 MIDI commands and while they usually seemed to transmit at least once, and at the correct time at least, none sent the message it should've.

When I updated my 328 with the ZIP that herr_prof provided, the behavior was a little different - it sent more messages, although still the wrong ones. I only tested it using the Q command on the first row of a table assigned to an instrument (using an H01 further down to ensure no repetition) - I didn't try the other 3 commands.

Los Angeles
undergroundclouds wrote:
trash80 wrote:

Yup. Got all the lights flashing, and there's definitely bytes coming from the MIDI output, they're just the wrong ones. I've tried all 4 MIDI commands and while they usually seemed to transmit at least once, and at the correct time at least, none sent the message it should've.

When I updated my 328 with the ZIP that herr_prof provided, the behavior was a little different - it sent more messages, although still the wrong ones. I only tested it using the Q command on the first row of a table assigned to an instrument (using an H01 further down to ensure no repetition) - I didn't try the other 3 commands.

What midi hardware are you using? I need to be able to duplicate this. Aslo, what bytes are being sent exactly?

Spokompton

Also, I just had a couple thoughts:
- I don't see why it would be, but could it be significant that I'm using EMS 64MB carts? Are you guys using these too?
- Was there some difference between the Arduino build environment you're using to compile the code? I'm using the unmodified Windows version here.

Unsubscribe

If you post you sav somwhere, ill give it a try on my hardware to see what it does.

Im using bleepbloop carts, but have an ems64 i can try it on over the weekend. Who knows, maybe it draws too much power compared to other carts? smile

Last edited by herr_prof (May 9, 2011 7:49 pm)