Ciudad de méxico, MX

while no sound playing, but the machine playing silence, even when the K command is present.

I managed to record it channel by channel, and noticed a weird hiss while recording. Is really present on headphones; when everything is playing is not present; my music have some solo channel moments and sounds like an electromagnetism coming from somewhere. (?) maybe is the screen?.

Is there anyone recording by single channel and mixing it on a DAW and notice this kind of behaviour?

some kind of noise gate/noise reduction treatment will hopefully make the diference. any ideas or workarounds?

i have 4 DMG and they all behave the same.

http://soundcloud.com/analogchile/dior- … -televisor
(this one, recorded channel by channel separated, EQ'ed and cutted every little silence, plus some mastering (?)) prosound DMG song mode

http://www.archive.org/details/DEELTV
(this other one is the same track, EQ'ed plus some plugins for making it sound louder (?)) prosound DMG live mode

please hear the first 10 seconds to notice what i'm taking about. Headphone recomended.

thanks in advance!

cheers

Last edited by Analog (Apr 18, 2011 11:47 pm)

BK

You may have a ground loop - try unplugging your computer while recording and see if that gets rid of it. If so, you can avoid this by plugging your interface into a different wall plug than the computer (one on a different wall or something like that).  Or you could record with the computer unplugged running on batteries...but that only gives you so much time to record.

Chicago IL

but if i can play devil's advocate for a second

isn't that kind of the price you pay when you decide to use a 20 year old game system to write music? like, isn't one of the reasons people get into this a reaction to the fact that modern music is too over produced / clean / etc?

England

the recordings you sent me sounded fine. my GBs are pretty hisssysysysssssss. i really notice it listening to my recordings on mp3 playas w/ headphones.

cables can sometimes pick up weird interference as well. my set up picks up taxi radios when the drivers are parked by our flat to smoke!

Last edited by Jellica (Apr 18, 2011 6:57 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

When you record one channel at a time, the signal to noise ratio is a lot worse, because one channel is much quieter than four. The noise you're hearing has always been there, but now you're hearing it louder because there's less going on.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

thanks kris k, i'll try to see the workaround on that.

kinectic turtle, you're totally right.

thanks for the kind comments jellica, the stuff that i've sent to you was very edited and the all unwanted stuff went away.

saskrotch, i've heard some productions, (like covox-infiltrator EP, or A.M.U - Diamond) and the sound quality is really well produced. specially in the AMU one, it sounds very clear and produced.

The aim of the final product is for a electro netlabel (not chip) so is important to try my best to achieve the almost (histeric) perfect quality that i can give in the result.

EDIT: thanks for sharing your experiences btw. smile

Last edited by Analog (Apr 18, 2011 11:26 pm)

New York City

You will hear more noise if you record each channel separately, likely 4 times the hiss. I hope you are not using a power supply and use batteries.

I hate the stupid hiss, no matter how minimal. What I do: use a noise supressor. I recommend you doing the same.

sweden

Embrace the hiss.

Unsubscribe

I will only mulitrack if I want to process a part. Most of the time it sounds better as a stereo render to me.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

that a good point Herr_proffesor. When the track is crowded with massive sound, the hiss thing is really at low volume or not present. since i have a lot of contrast in my compositions, is a kind of a problem to me, at certain parts.

Nordloef, i love the hiss and stuff. Is just  me maybe, but in a live situation i want to use the real hardware and deal with all what the machine have to give. with a good PA system I can get the sound where i want to take it.

But a recording (which i hate btw) is a sample of my production, so i want the best sound possible. Is a matter of taste in the recording than disrespecting the machine sounding quality.

thanks akira, would you mind suggesting me what plugins/machines are you using and in what stage? post-production?

thanks everyone for your feedback.

Last edited by Analog (Apr 19, 2011 6:07 pm)

rochester, ny
herr_prof wrote:

I will only mulitrack if I want to process a part. Most of the time it sounds better as a stereo render to me.

yep, i agree.

We decided to record channel by channel for this first album we are almost done with...in hindsight I'm not so sure we'll do the same in the future.  We originally thought it would be cool to EQ each part individually or pan stuff or whatever we wanted plus we thought we were getting more "processing power per channel" (especially for the WAV channel)....this theory was based on no real substantial evidence...(just the kind of science they use at Hogwarts)
Sure you get some freedom to EQ the "drum track"  (but quadruple the hiss and a HUGE amount of work to mix it) but It turns out we actually ended up liking (in most cases) the full mix the GB makes on its own.  Still though....I'm a sucker for stupid panning effects.