Minneapolis

I have noticed something kinda strange lately, which is basically that DMGs continue to sell (or are at least offered for sale) for ridiculous prices, despite the fact that parts for performing modifications on them are very cheap and the mods themselves are simple to do. Not to mention that, unless you're looking in the online domain of overpriced consumer goods (eBay), the DMGs themselves are still very cheap to buy.

And yet people still routinely ask upwards of $90 for DMGs with basic prosound mods, button replacements, and backlights. What's wrong? Do you guys think that's reasonable? If so, why? Maybe my judgement is just off-base because I happen to be able to do the modifications that many people choose to pay for.

Unsubscribe

You could radically change the market place by selling tons of cheaply modded and high quality mods yourself.

Minneapolis
herr_prof wrote:

You could radically change the market place by selling tons of cheaply modded and high quality mods yourself.

Well, I realise that would always be the case, but I guess that's part of my confusion. Why hasn't someone attempted it? Am I missing something important?

EDIT: I am being serious here, BTW. I don't understand why the prices are going this way, unless I'm just seriously underestimating people's desire to not do these modifications themselves, or perhaps for some other reason I can't think of.

On a related note, any modders want to share how often they have people "bite" on pricing like that? I'm genuinely curious.

Last edited by arfink (Apr 26, 2011 6:05 pm)

Philly, PA, USA

it's mostly the backlighting they're somewhat "labor intensive" just because of the scraping, and really people just don't want to do them and people have the money to spend on that stuff. I find it kind of ridiculous personally, but apparently people think that not doing the mods themselves is worth paying that money.

Rhode Island

Buttons: $5
Prosound: $2
Backlight: $12
DMG: $10-20
Labor: $50-60? That does seem a little off for something that takes less than an hour to do.

But hey, if you aren't shelling out $90 for a DMG why should you be upset? Go mod a DMG and sell it on eBay :-P

Matthew Joseph Payne

I won't pay money for simple mods, as I do them myself. I have paid and would pay again, real money for unique mods (like Apeshit's translucent colored gameboys, of which I have one, or say a NeX-style internal-arduinoboy unit). Labor is worth money.

What I really don't get is people paying any real money for unmodded game boys, of any color. I can't see any of them being worth more than $10, tops. Maybe $15 for an especially rare play-it-loud color.

So I guess if you're going to put together a backlit, pro-sounded and button-replaced gameboy, it might break down like:

$10 gameboy
$14 backlight (3x LED, adding to account for shipping and such)
$2 prosound jack parts
$5 buttons (and shipping yadda)
$40 for labor and some hopeful assemblance of profit

that's $71, plus shipping. Interpret that as you will.

Minneapolis

Well, this thread is kinda about personal opinions of people concerning DMG pricing, not solely about mine.

EDIT: thanks Kineticturtle, I like the price breakdown, but I'm curious as to why you chose $40 as a semblance of profit. At $40 for labor a reasonably experienced modder would be making at least $40 an hour, an unskilled one maybe $20 or $25. Maybe I'm just being stupid for not charging that much for labor when I do mods for people... hrm. hmm

Last edited by arfink (Apr 26, 2011 6:37 pm)

matt's mind

some labor is worth the money.  it just up to the paying person, and what they value.  also consider that waste is calculated into this.  and, there is a lot of waste with DMGs now, as they're breaking a good bit.  its all the LCDs fault...

anything done with playing in acetone deserves the pay.  that stuff is nuts and it hates you.

Rhode Island

arfink, while an inexperienced modded may sell for 40 you cannot turn a profit there. You paid ~20 for the equipment and then you just recoup your losses. Unless it is commissioned work in which case the cost of equipment would be covered. Sure some people would do it for the sheer enjoyment but it's always nice to see a little money come your way.

Boulder, CO

I wouldn't buy a modded gameboy but $60 isn't all that crazy for any kind of skilled labor. Charging a crapload for a super siq splatter paint job on the other hand is a bit ridiculous.

United Kingdom

I agree with the acetone work.

Reason why some people pay maybe due to lack of time and equipment or perhaps the feeling of not being able to do a mod due to lack of experience?

Prices on some of the online shops are ridiculous in my opinion of how much they charge even for a simple dmg-01 with prosound.

I used to do all of my mods but have recently given up on it due to my equipment being in several houses so it's going to be a while before I get my equipment back...

Bronx, NY

I'm fortunate in that I have friends who enjoy making these mods, and so they'll do them for me for either very cheap, or gratitude + beer.

In my personal opinion, $50 is the perfect price for a backlit/prosound modded DMG. Anything between $45 - $70 seems fair to me.

Philly, PA, USA
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

I wouldn't buy a modded gameboy but $60 isn't all that crazy for any kind of skilled labor. Charging a crapload for a super siq splatter paint job on the other hand is a bit ridiculous.

Minneapolis

This is very good feedback, thank you guys.

Sweden

In capitalist society, people are often a lot lazier than they are poor!

On a less general note, I think that many people would gladly spend $50 to bypass whatever hassles an electronics newbie might encounter performing these mods. If modded gameboys aren't sold cheaper, it's because no one has found it profitable enough. It's easy for us to say how much it should cost, but in the end it's an agreement between the seller and the customer, not something for us as spectators to decide.

MA

In my opinion I think its pretty cool that people are selling these mods so high... If any of you out there realize there's a so-called "real world" out there where people are into social "norms" and such... many unaware of this amazing chip community, and what it has to offer....to be honest I don't know a single person, in my life that knows anything about "chip music" or "8-bit mods" or anything involved in this chip community (fun trying to explain to people what LSDJ is all about... and all that jazz)... I think that we can use that to our advantage... I mean I see people bug out and almost crap themselves when they see a backlit DMG, for the first time...er a painted, refurbished NES... or something in that nature. Let's face it guise... most people here are "cheap"...just admit it...lol AND THERE"S NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING CHEAP!!! There's billions of people out there...millions and millions that love video games too.... why not try selling your art to friends,family, or people you know...or near your town,work, or school, or craigslist, or ebay??? And I say fuck yea to people selling those "easy" mods for a decent profit... most of these things you can't just buy at a regular store...or a Walmart...hehe! Let's capitalize individually!!! Don't sell yourselves short people!!! Really... I know there's kids out there that are dumb enuff to pay what your asking for...set the bar high... I say why not??? You get ripped off everyday by the stinkin' man, so its time we get a slice of the pie tooo!!!