Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Listen here:  jefftheworld - A//LE

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 28, 2011 8:21 am)

Nice! I love this, it's really catchy and makes great use of the sounds available...also, extremely groovy.

Sounds good man.

Swedebbb

Well, other than the lowpass part coming in to sudden, this is great stuff!

New York City

This isn't house at all.

FlashHeart

Akira has a beeper that goes off whenever someone posts something in the "Constructive Criticism" section. wink

New York City
Natty wrote:

Akira has a beeper that goes off whenever someone posts something in the "Constructive Criticism" section. wink

This is probably the second or third time I post in this section. This comment is hardly related to the thread and also not fair at all.
You just illustrated very well why I keep off this and other forums and barely post anymore, and shouldn't bother with anything. I should have kept it that way.

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 5, 2011 9:08 pm)

FlashHeart

Dearest Akira! Entirely a joke, I assure you, brother. Please don't take it personally. Just a little teasing because you often have strong opinions expressed frankly (something I actually appreciate and admire in a person.) In fact, you usually have great criticism. I know you've pointed out things in my songs which needed work.

Not meant to be serious at all. Good old-fashioned comradely ribbing. My apologies for the misunderstanding. I know that a winking smiley is a rather poor way to express irony, but unfortunately its what we must make do with - the venue of an internet forum is not conducive to shades of meaning. Words alone without inflection and nuance are lamentably weak and I'm a terrible poet so the more subtle hues of a comment are rarely visible in the vulgar and limited spectrum of online chit-chat.

Please forgive me and don't leave us. Your presence and well-won wisdom are fantastic additions to our community. Indeed - you're one of the most knowledgable people I know regarding the history of this music and art. I hope you accept this praise humbly offered and I promise I won't tease again.

--Natty

P.S. This is all genuine and without sarcasm of any kind. I do hope that's clear!

FlashHeart

As far as constructive criticism goes: I agree that the first filtered section comes in too suddenly and I think it goes on for a bit too long. The sort of laser sounds toward the end also kind of come out of nowhere. The melodies are good but I think that the lead instrument could be varied a bit more. Not the melody itself, but the synthesis of the instrument. Just a bit plain and vanilla at the moment. Hope my little opinions help in some way!

And Akira's right - 4/4 kick drums do not house music make. For one, this doesn't lay down a deep enough groove to be proper house, in my opinion. It actually varies too much without ever locking into something. House music is more repetitive in its hooks, more rhythm than melody, with variations often provided more by changes in instrument filtering and breaks and builds in the rhythym than by things like melodic shifts. I may be off on some of this, but that's part of my understanding of some of the fundamentals of House.

Last edited by Natty (May 5, 2011 9:33 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Natty wrote:

And Akira's right - 4/4 kick drums do not house music make. For one, this doesn't lay down a deep enough groove to be proper house, in my opinion. It actually varies too much without ever locking into something. House music is more repetitive in its hooks, more rhythm than melody, with variations often provided more by changes in instrument filtering and breaks and builds in the rhythym than by things like melodic shifts. I may be off on some of this, but that's part of my understanding of some of the fundamentals of House.

I'm glad you understood all the subtleties of the question mark I used.

Yeah, I don't listen to a lot of house, really. I just knew it was around this tempo and used a four-to-the-floor. As for the filtering section, that certain goes on too long, but I was recording it live and by the time I freed up a hand to switch to the next pattern I had missed it and it went on another four bars.

I certainly like the idea of changing up the synthesis as the song progresses. It's something I don't do enough (although I did a little bit of it with the bassline in the second half) and adding that especially to the leads would sound good, I think.

Cheers everyone, thanks for the help!