Matthew Joseph Payne
animalstyle wrote:

i know people who have posed as him on the IRC channel (its very easy to change your handle ;] )

This is why there's a way to register your handle.

sweden
kineticturtle wrote:
animalstyle wrote:

i know people who have posed as him on the IRC channel (its very easy to change your handle ;] )

This is why there's a way to register your handle.

Why would someone that never even use IRC register his handle?

FlashHeart

Wow. I agree that his tweet was completely tasteless, ill-advised, and ultimately galling, and that if he was, in fact, driving drunk he should be seriously punished for endangering himself and others, but some of the sentiment and language directed toward him on this forum is kind of shocking me with its unbridled hatefulness and contempt.

The man seems stupid rather than spiteful and pitiable in his utter lack of sense. But saying you hope he dies and doing it all on a public forum strikes me as a bit nasty. He already posted it publicly himself I don't see why it needs to be reposted on a music forum so everyone can talk about how much they hate this guy. Even if people do have their reasons for hating him and I personally know that a few of you do have very good reasons, I just don't know if this is the best venue for this sort of thing. I completely understand if people want to talk about their opinions of others when they get together with friends - that's something we all do. But why here and why in such savage terms?

FlashHeart

Also, this: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/twitter … 5-2011.php

Edmonton, Canada
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:
lynit wrote:

You don't want that.

No?

I agree, he's a douche. But eh. Wishing death upon someone is just as bad in my opinion hmm

I might as well ask while the topic's open, whatever happened to ChipCon? Did he just cancel because of idiot moves made or what not?

Last edited by lynit (May 1, 2011 9:39 pm)

Chicago IL

for the record: i want him to die before he kills innocent people. he is doing something that puts everyone around him in mortal danger. and as i said, i was involved in an accident with a drunk driver this month (april 16th). if he is going to be BRAGGING about driving drunk, then yes, i want him to die, preferably in a horrible accident involving only himself.

drunk driving is not an action that can only hurt feelings. if  he was gay bashing or being racist, then i would understand people saying 'woah he doesnt deserve to die for that', but he is putting innocent people at risk, on purpose. he clearly understands that he's driving drunk, and he's proud of it. he's a piece of shit, and i hope he hits a tree and bleeds to death in the middle of nowhere.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

What a fucking idiot

Melbourne, Australia

What Saskrotch said. Would prefer no one dies but if he is going to be drunk driving, knowing full well the risks he and other people are placed in when he does so, then I would sooner see him wrapped around a tree than sandwiched into another car front on.

This dude needs to stop drinking (and that’s ME saying that). Every times he does and blasts out some incoherent shit on tiwtter he erodes what little positive reputation he has left.

I guess on a more positive note, if anything proves natural selection then it's this guy.

FlashHeart

Well I want him to stop driving drunk and I find his twisted hubris about the matter completely abhorrent but I don't want him to die. I'd rather he realize what a stupid thing he's done before anyone gets hurt, including himself. I also wouldn't mind one bit if he were arrested and punished for his actions. Nigel - I think what this guy has done is just as horrible as you think it is (although we disagree about what the ideal solution should be.) My five year old cousin was killed by a drunk driver when I was very young and it was a horrible blow to the family.

But my main point is that I'm not sure why what is by and large a music community forum has a thread devoted to everyone calling someone an idiot, no matter how irresponsible and stupid a thing he may have done. Should we start threads about the stupid and immature things we've all done or the insensitive and irresponsible things we may have said? Or start threads about all the things we may not like about various people in the scene? Because I certainly know that if everyone was honest about it there would plenty of gripes against me and all sorts of innapropriate and poorly-chosen words and actions I've committed in the past. I'm just advocating a calmer rhetoric and an overall lower level of vitriol for whatever that may be worth.

I'm really just a bit put off by how suddenly everyone's fangs came out. I don't think this same thing would have happened if it wasn't someone that most people already hated. If a well-liked member of the scene tweeted this odious garbage I think people would probably send him private messages or take it up with him in person or say to their friends "did you see that shit _____ posted about driving drunk? What a dick." But because it happens to be betabot it gets its own forum thread where everyone can cluck their tongues and say that they really wouldn't mind at all if he died a horrible death. I just don't think his stupid actions are really worth this level of public attention. We all know drunk driving is wrong. And we all know that bragging about it is absolutely reprehensible. But why are we talking about it here?

Last edited by Natty (May 2, 2011 1:33 am)

Brunswick, GA USA

Unfollowing.  Thanks for the notice.

A part of me thinks he's joking but it's not funny and never will be.

FlashHeart

I also wouldn't mind if someone smacked him for doing something so stupid. Dying just seems rather too much.

Philly, PA, USA
celsius wrote:

Every times he does and blasts out some incoherent shit on tiwtter he erodes what little positive reputation he has left.

the only reason I would commend this kind of stuff be on a music website is because this idiot is trying to get the people of this forum to perform shows and work with him. If he is so irresponsible that he'll not only drink and drive, but drink, drive, tweet, and change his iPod*, then I don't think he's responsible enough to be organizing shows and I want the people of this forum to know that.

*he tweeted about that too.

Melbourne, Australia

Pixls : Unfortunately you don't have to get any sort of qualification in order to organise massive events where you are responsible for the safety of your patrons. Anyone who can convert protein into energy is qualified.

For what it is worth thought I'd never work with this guy.

If he has such disregard for his own safety I wouldn't trust him with the myriad of safety responsibilities such as fire codes, public liability insurance etc. that are required to run a gig.

FlashHeart

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most people on the scene weren't planning on working with him before he advertised his penchant for drinking and driving. I think the chipcon fiasco was enough to all but annihilate his reputation as a promoter.

Chicago IL
Natty wrote:

I'd rather he realize what a stupid thing he's done before anyone gets hurt, including himself. I also wouldn't mind one bit if he were arrested and punished for his actions.

i seriously doubt that anything will happen to him until it's too late, and he's ruined someone else's life or lives.

Natty wrote:

Because I certainly know that if everyone was honest about it there would plenty of gripes against me and all sorts of innapropriate and poorly-chosen words and actions I've committed in the past.

i'm pretty sure none of those things are the equivalent of bragging about putting people's lives in jeopardy though, right?

Natty wrote:

I'm really just a bit put off by how suddenly everyone's fangs came out. I don't think this same thing would have happened if it wasn't someone that most people already hated.

i had a pretty neutral opinion of this guy before all this. i had nothing to do with the chip-con shows, and had zero interaction with him before this.

Natty wrote:

If a well-liked member of the scene tweeted this odious garbage I think people would probably send him private messages or take it up with him in person or say to their friends "did you see that shit _____ posted about driving drunk? What a dick."

i'd act the same way, unless it was a friend, in which case i would privately contact them asking what the fuck is wrong with them and telling them to knock it off. i'd imagine at this point that people know if i have a problem with someone, i DON'T have a problem letting them know in a public/online setting. and if i had any connection to this dude, i'd be telling him to fuck hisself in private as well as in public.

Natty wrote:

But because it happens to be betabot it gets its own forum thread where everyone can cluck their tongues and say that they really wouldn't mind at all if he died a horrible death.

i dont cluck tongues, nigga!

Natty wrote:

I just don't think his stupid actions are really worth this level of public attention. We all know drunk driving is wrong. And we all know that bragging about it is absolutely reprehensible. But why are we talking about it here?

because he's announced it publically? and he's a "part" of the scene?

Natty wrote:

I also wouldn't mind if someone smacked him for doing something so stupid.

if i'm ever in the same area as him, i know i wont get kicked out of a show, and someone points him out to me, i will gladly slap the everloving shit out of him.

TSSBAY01

to be certain, i made this thread first and foremost so people know not to get in a car with this guy.