Glitchmod Tutorial
------------------------------------
Have you ever wanted your gameboy to sound really crappy and glitchy and be able to control how much glitchy-grossness is going on? Well I'm here to tell you how with two switches and some wire. You can put the switches wherever you want, but I highly reccomend not putting them where I did, one above thed-pad and one above the A+B buttons. They're fun, but they required a lot of modding to the switches and cutting of the PCBs and it was just gross overall.

These switches control a glitchy, nasty tone being produced that can be changed and altered with a GetLoFi pitch mod, flipping the switches on and offand fooling around with the other audio you're playing. One switch controls the left channel and the other switch controls the right channel.

Here's the instructions: (Pictures soon!)

Also, I'm not responsible for any damage this may cause...do it at your own risk!!!

1. Open the Gameboy

2. Carefully detatch the halves of the gameboys.

3. Solder a wire to the post-pot left point on the back PCB, and another wire to the post-pot right point on the back PCB.

4. Connect both to two seperate switches. You should have two switches with one wire going to one audio channel each.

5. Now, look at the back PCB. Above the ribbon cable, there should be a group of 6 solder points. On the bottom left one, solder a wire and connect it to one of the switches.

6. On the seventh pin in from the right, there should be a lead that goes out and hits another solder point. Solder a wire to that, and to the other switch.

7. Now, mount the switches in the case wherever you see fit, and you're done!

If you want, you can customize the mod and add mini potentiometers to change the volume of the glitchiness independantly of the volume of the audio, or you could try other components and see what they do.

A piece of advice, DO NOT CONNECT EITHER OF THESE WIRES TO THE 2nd PIN IN FROM THE LEFT OF THE RIBBON CABLE. That would ruin your processor and it will never work again. Learned that the hard way.

If you don't feel comfortable soldering or mounting switches or anything, I'm open to having you send me your gameboy and some money and I'll do it for you smile

If you're interested, email me and we'll talk. Depending on what exactly you want, like where the switches are or if you want potentiometers or
anything, the price might change, but assume $30 as a good base level for parts and labor. This takes a while to do correctly and carefully, especially with where I put my switches but I'll only do that if you really really really really want it.

What does it do?
Here's what the glitchmod sounds like paired with a variable clock speed mod big_smile
http://chipmusic.org/frostbyte/music/gl … er-megaman

Last edited by Frostbyte (May 9, 2011 11:05 pm)

rochester, ny

this sounds rad. post an audio example and i might give this a shot too!

I'm gonna record one tomorrow once I get my case closed (hopefully forever haha).

Glad you're interested!

clovis CA

so you circuit bent a gameboy?

Philly, PA, USA

pictures?

Alley Beach wrote:

so you circuit bent a gameboy?

Well, basically. But I'm sharing what I did.

pixls wrote:

pictures?

Yeah, soon, once I get my camera smile

Posted an audio file smile

Sweeeeeeden

So, uhm, you're tapping the display signals.

See: http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/2009/11/23 … d-palette/

The lower right point in that 2*3 matrix should give similar results as the lower left one. This should work extra well with Shitwave, as it draws something on the screen which is at least somewhat like the waveform it outputs.

The second pin (actually third, since the outermost one counts as a pin too) is the power supply for the LCD, -19 V or thereabouts. Very dangerous for the electronics.

The 7th pin from the left is one of the lines for reading the state of the buttons. It should be pretty boring. Sure you got that one right?

Yeah, that's what it's doing...it just sounds cool haha. And yeah, when I was still looking for places to connect, I tried the bottom right one and it sounded similar. Yeah, don't touch that third pin, it's the worst.

And I meant to put right, whoops! I'll fix that one big_smile