Unsubscribe

Its only $20 more than bleepbloops costs in the day. And this is legit.

herr_prof wrote:

Its only $20 more than bleepbloops costs in the day. And this is legit.

And? That don't make it less pricey.

Unsubscribe

It doesn't make your face less ugly either. I consider $20 bucks for never having to worry about shitty backup software or OS deprecation or battery failure a worthy upgrade price.

Plus the man has worked hard on it.

matt's mind

individually some of the parts needed for a device like this are expensive.  not to mention the man hours put into making them work together.

Melbourne, Australia

The price point is still well below what it SHOULD cost considering the R&D, manufacturing costs and time etc.

You could go and buy a SMARTBOY cart and programmer for $40 which will work (for a while?), won't work under OSX, will require custom software for flashing and whose battery could die at anytime resulting in the loss of all your data. But you know... I guess you're songs probably aren't worth the extra $60 to you anyway.

Brooklyn NY US

Honestly, anyone whining about this needs to get lost. In the entire world of musicmaking, I can think of no hardware setup with a more favorable awesomeness-to-expense ratio. And having a truly reliable, well-considered hardware solution to facilitate that is, in my view, absolutely worth the "added cost" equivalent to, I don't know, a night out at a dive bar (or 5 Cokes in Australia).

Yuma, AZ

I with the last few on this one. What's $20 compared to a INFINITE amount of worry and hassle off your mind? I can't wait to get one of these.

ad-hell-aide

The price is fine, let's get over it.

Melbourne, AU

It's got a 100 year lifespan... so it's only a dollar a year to run! What a bargain!

I never argued the price. It's a tad bit expensive, but I am willing to pay the somewhat high price for something that I know will be secure and even if it crashes I'll have multiple backups of the saves because it's so easy to put roms and saves on this cart. I'm comparing this with the EMS carts, but I realise that the EMS carts can barely be called competition with their horrible pc software and the unreliabilty of the cart itself.

Gosford, Australia

bitshifter's spot-on about the cost of creating and performing chipmusic compared to other styles. we're talking about a difference of twenty dollars and to be fair it's a signifcant (and worthwhile) difference compared to other products of its kind. but you can go ahead and drop twenty grand on new classical instruments and they still won't be the very top of the line.

Unsubscribe
Bit Shifter wrote:

I can think of no hardware setup with a more favorable awesomeness-to-expense ratio.

Kazoo

Brooklyn NY US

Point.

buffalo, NY

The fact that some people find it too expensive and others find it a deal means that it's priced correctly as a professional grade-not budget-product.  Also fuck I need something reliable for my tour this summer.   Must getttt

Last edited by danimal cannon (Feb 22, 2012 2:09 am)

Fargo
herr_prof wrote:

It simply works. Loading a rom is on the slow side, but its heaps better than bleepbloop or ems usb carts. Backing up and restoring is easy once you get used to how it works.

Not a big deal to me.  I've never been in a position, personally, where I needed a cart to back up or load a rom quickly or [insert negative consequence here].  I'd gladly wait for it to do it's thaaang.  Easy backup and restore, even better.

herr_prof wrote:

And it works awesome on OSX>.

...'nuff said.

I'll set a little money aside for when this becomes available to the public.  I'm more than sold.

Edit:
Also, thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by Krubbz (Feb 22, 2012 2:56 am)

hardcore, Australia
dosPrompt wrote:
celsius wrote:

I still can't get over how awesome that label design is.

Can you even be surprised that something ilkke has done is awesome anymore?

After having seen his art on shirts and posters for years I was still mind blown by the ease and speed with which he prepared his visuals.