Bronx, NY
herr_prof wrote:

Ive been tapping my credit card on the screen  this youtube is playing on all day.. have you gotten my orders yet?

herr_prof wrote:

Ive been tapping my credit card on the screen  this youtube is playing on all day.. have you gotten my orders yet?

herr_prof wrote:

A million times this.

Yes, I expect a million carts at my door.

matt's mind

big_smile

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

ps. if you wanna see him build this cart...

Minneapolis

I knew that some day someone would catch on and use an NVRAM of some kind in a GB cart so people can stop whining about loosing their saves. Good work!

Philly, PA, USA
arfink wrote:

I knew that some day someone would catch on and use an NVRAM of some kind in a GB cart so people can stop whining about loosing their saves. Good work!

seriously! I want one, can't wait! but how many LEDs does it have? if it has less than three it's clearly useless.

Plano, TX

I'm in for.. two, I guess. For now. heart

Also, sex props for using micro USB so that these will play nice in cases.

Seattle, WA US

dooooooooooooooooo wanttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Liverpool, UK

Sweeeeeeden
herr_prof wrote:

Yea if you compile a multirom it would work, but what about the sram?

PAGING DR NITRO2k1

Was ist das? Eine page aus Herr Professor Peter Lewis Swim?!

Actually, no that wouldn't work.

The problem is this. The GB CPU can only address 64 kilobytes of memory. So to access more than that, you use so called bank switching. There are two ROM memory areas areas available from a regular GB cartridge. One area is a fixed area which points to the bottom 16 kilobytes of the ROM chip. (Bank 0) Then there's a switchable area which can address one variable 16 kB area at a time.

The problem with this cart, and "jose"carts as well is that they can't switch out bank 0. For that reason hey can't do multiple ROMs, since each program is dependent on having it's own "bank 0".

Now there's a way around this. Since this is a flash cartridge, and the Gameboy can write to the flash memory, you could use a software method where a piece of code on the Gameboy writes a new bank 0 for every newly loaded ROM. Then the ROM also needs the rest of its banks, and there are different methods of solving that. But either way it'll be hackish, and there's the risk of temporary failure if he cartridge loses power during this operation. In that case, it would need to be reprogrammed using USB.

Normal LittleFM operation is planned to be supported and poses no problem, however.

Unsubscribe
nitro2k01 wrote:

Normal LittleFM operation is planned to be supported and poses no problem, however.

I think that will be good enough!

New York City
nitro2k01 wrote:

Now there's a way around this. Since this is a flash cartridge, and the Gameboy can write to the flash memory, you could use a software method where a piece of code on the Gameboy writes a new bank 0 for every newly loaded ROM. Then the ROM also needs the rest of its banks, and there are different methods of solving that.

That is, I think, the way the NGPC carts worked, since NGPC carts had 32MB of "plain" flash storage space.

Sweeeeeeden

Can't speak for NGPC. Perhaps there are some circumstances that make it easier to do on the NGPC, eg built-in bank switching in the console. On GB it's a pain, though.

New York City

The NGPC has no bank switching, it has a single flash space. The Flash cartridge did NOT support multiROM menues, so what people did was make a software that grabbed a bunch of ROMs, compressed them and made a menu, then you loaded this generated ROM into the cart . The ROM could be as much as, I think, 16Mb, and then it would decompress/flash the ROM you selected to the remaining 16Mb, and executed the code starting from that address. This limited you in the size of ROMs you can use but it would let you, for example, load TONS of PD software that were very little, on a single cart.

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 11, 2011 8:44 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

Ah! (De)compression! That's something that I don't think the GB can do comfortably, really. The NGPC apparently has 16-bit CPU. Then there's the (perhaps small) problem of the user turning off the power in the wrong moment while writing to bank 0 and locking yourself out of the the bootloader, so you have to fix it over USB. On the other hand, the compression method might just work. I'll have to do some experiments.

My original idea was to only overwrite bank 0, and store the rest of the ROM banks in higher ROM banks, and patch the ROM switch routine in each ROM to go to those higher banks. Painful to get right, but will work really fast once it's in place and works.

San Antonio, Texas

Patiently waiting for the link so I can buy one of these.

SYDNERDIA
nitro2k01 wrote:

The problem with this cart, and "jose"carts as well is that they can't switch out bank 0. For that reason hey can't do multiple ROMs, since each program is dependent on having it's own "bank 0".

CAPTAIN SPECULATION STRIKES AGAIN.

I will neither confirm nor rule out the presence of a bank remapping feature in the final cart, at this point.

Last edited by abrasive (May 12, 2011 12:00 am)