New Zealand

Is it me or does she have a lazy eye..? Her left eye isn't looking at me..... Makes me nervous

Melbourne, Australia

HAHA! That was the first thing I noticed.

hardcore, Australia

I want to know what those games were that changed the way we looked at gaming. Seems like a pretty important moment in history.

melbourne, australia

i'd hit it

I love that graphical style.

Tokyo, Japan

A point which might be interesting for dicussion, why so little nostalgia for the early/mid 3d console graphics era. I am far from expert but other than Rosa Menken I cant think of anyone who has done much  with it. Rosa had some awesomely creepy glitchy polygon stuff happening for little-scales 2009 blip set.

New York, New York
Lazerbeat wrote:

A point which might be interesting for dicussion, why so little nostalgia for the early/mid 3d console graphics era. I am far from expert but other than Rosa Menken I cant think of anyone who has done much  with it. Rosa had some awesomely creepy glitchy polygon stuff happening for little-scales 2009 blip set.

I'm glad you mentioned Rosa because I am a mega fan of that glitching polygon style!

Milwaukee, WI
Lazerbeat wrote:

That is the first thing I thought of too!  I would love to see more of this.  From an aesthetic point of view those hollowed polygon shells and such are quite unique and interesting.

Godzilladelph
Lazerbeat wrote:

Agreed!

please excuse me if i de-rail but is there anyone doing viz like this?

New Zealand

I think that was actually the creepiest thing I have ever seen. Love it!

New York City
SKGB wrote:

please excuse me if i de-rail but is there anyone doing viz like this?

What the fucking hell....?????????????????? xDDDD

Lazerbeat wrote:

If anyone can point me in direction of some useful N64 music software I will use it in every single song I make for the rest of time. My N64s have already taken up most of my life; they may as well take up the rest of it!

Musically, I think one of the reasons is that these consoles don't have a particular sound defined by the limitations of their soundchip, and in turn there isn't much of a nostalgic association one can make with it, or any logical reason to make music with such a console instead of a computer. According to Wikipedia, the N64 could play 'uncompressed PCM, MP3, MIDI, and tracker music' - if this is the case, then we may as well be making said music on Renoise or whatever. It could in theory be ''N64 music''.

As for the visuals, some people seem to genuinely believe late SNES pixel graphics actually look better than the muddy polygonated graphics I grew up with (I mean, I would argue the graphics in games like Earthbound have definitely aged better than, say, F Zero X, even though I adore both). I guess there's something tacky about polygonated graphics, in the same way that glossily produced 80s pop virtually always sounds a lot more dated than its 70s equivalent.

Like the quintessential flavour of 80s pop, however, only a fairly specific generation of consoles have that late 90s look. Therefore, I bet there's a lot of nostalgic N64/Playstation/Saturn (less of the latter tongue) fans who would dig it, and also that there is a useful visual flavour to these consoles that no generation of chip, earlier or later, could get just right.

Edit - I just looked through the viral vacuum lady's videos. I fucking swear I am going to get that person VJ'ing at a chip show one day. Something about the combination of cats, boobs, cheap computer animation and Australia reminds me of Lektrogirl.

Last edited by Stevens (May 30, 2011 8:53 pm)

Wellington, New Zealand

tbh the lighting on the cat's fur when it gets all puffy looks quite well done.

lolusa

Saturn cutscenes always rocked my shit.
I still think they do.

No one will understand this like I do.
I can already see the plethora of non-responses.

New Zealand

http://www.youtube.com/embed/-vNRcsNqNi8

GOTY

Last edited by Mortal Execution (May 31, 2011 1:39 am)

Milwaukee, WI

Starpause posted this on Facebook a while back.

As Stevens touched on, I think the coolest aspect of these consoles is the graphics and not the sound.  A N64 VJ app for instance would be wicked cool!