Brazil

The thing with the 5th generation consoles is that people overlook. I think if a VJ app for the playstation (which is easier to burn a disc and play with it than the N64) would be awesome. I think that the polygons can manage to achieve a more darker and chaotic visual than, i say, NES.
If something like a VJ app for one of these consoles existed, I guess it's use would be determined by the aesthetics pretended of the VJ guy. Like, if he wants a darker set (i see something like videogramo work).

But that's just me, I can't watch and see any picture that is on this thread anyway hahaha

New York City

There is a VJ app for PS2 by Pikix and it's awesome.

Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:

There is a VJ app for PS2 by Pikix and it's awesome.

You mean this?
http://www.pikilipita.com/vj/ps24vj/index.html

Is awesome indeed!

New York City

Yup, however, it doesn't generate polygon stuff, it's mostly a video player.

Brazil

But you could grab some Goldeneye 007 glitchy videos and play it.

Also I'm not a VJ, even if i wanted to be - but I don't have mad skillz to do that.

São Paulo, Brazil

I'm really having lots of fun with super pikix for the caanoo. Can't wait for my tv-out cable.

New York City

I still haven' t played much with Super Pikix because the converter software does not run on ANY of my computers. The mac version bombs because it runs only in the latest version of OS X, and the PC version bombs for some .net dependency bullshit hmm

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

@akira
have yew tried installing .NET framework?

i use v3.5
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d … laylang=en

but there's a new v4.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d … 86F32C0992

Brooklon
SKGB wrote:

please excuse me if i de-rail but is there anyone doing viz like this?

OHMIGOD THIS IS FANTASTIC. We need to see more of this.

buffalo, NY
Note! wrote:
SKGB wrote:

please excuse me if i de-rail but is there anyone doing viz like this?

OHMIGOD THIS IS FANTASTIC. We need to see more of this.

theres like a million more on their youtube page

New York, New York
Mortal Execution wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/-vNRcsNqNi8

GOTY

My two favorites are the Charleston horse and the hippo horse.

New York, New York
ovenrake wrote:

Saturn cutscenes always rocked my shit.
I still think they do.

No one will understand this like I do.
I can already see the plethora of non-responses.

I was going to respond to this, but then I saw the Japan World Cup scene. I think all these polygon scenes are winners.

New York, New York

I want Wendyvainity to perform visuals at chip music shows.

New Zealand
Esopus-dragon wrote:

I want Wendyvainity to perform visuals at chip music shows.

^ THIS

Brazil

All I know is that polygons are creppier and I like it.

Philly, PA, USA

I think the use of primitive polygons hasn't been explored to its fullest partially because it's not really something that can be (as of right now) explored on the system, and that's something that has made chip music and other kinds of visuals generally more accessible. I think if a simple modeling/animating program could be created for the PS1 PS1 or N64 that could be an interesting thing.

Stylistically I think it's kind of tough because it seems like you almost need to come with a maximalist approach using this kind of medium, using a more minimal style would make it look more like an old tech demo. I suppose there could be room for some distortion or glitching, but still it's odd. I think part of what makes the old polygons creepy is their depiction of human forms and the whole "uncanny valley" stuff. There would have to be some very specific things you'd need to do to get that same creepiness without using people.

I think it would be really cool to see some videogramo style distorted forms in this kind of format, I guess some of his stuff must be done in 3D, but I don't know his methods at all.