I'm just now trying to hop into the business of chiptunes and I barely know anything and making up the music.
Like...
I lack some basic terms like mixers, VST's, Trackers, equalizers or maaaany other things. . . Bahhh I might be asking a little too much or too broad of a question.. BUT if you guys could give me a good quick read on a site or even a book I could pick up or something.

Last edited by Legnox (Jun 1, 2011 12:13 pm)

Brazil

wikipedia?

ah.

brooklyn!

yeah, this is an INCREDIBLY broad question by any standard.

quick google brought this up:
http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-C … 1575605643

but on a serious note, most people aren't so lenient as to respond semi-helpfully to a question like this. google stuff, google ANYTHING, dude.

Brooklyn NY US

Pro tip: common sense and contextual inference. Read / listen to what people are saying (here or on other chip- or music-related sites & forums, at shows, wherever), pay attention, and voilà, you'll soon find you're deriving a basic awareness of what people are talking about through the magic of intuition.

Chepachet, Rhode Island
Bit Shifter wrote:

Pro tip: common sense and contextual inference. Read / listen to what people are saying (here or on other chip- or music-related sites & forums, at shows, wherever), pay attention, and voilà, you'll soon find you're deriving a basic awareness of what people are talking about through the magic of intuition.

I came into this scene this past Semptember COMPLETELY new to electronic music.  Ever since forever ago in middle school I listened to post grunge, NWOBHM and a little bit later Scadanavian Deth Metal (those damn Swedes).  You really do just pick it up.  Listen to everything, especially songs that sound really different.  You'll get a sense of each mini-genre's style, sounds, tempo, blah blah blah.

Also...here...Google search: "Ishkur's guide to electronic music"
...You can thank me later tongue

vancouver, canada
Legnox wrote:

I'm just now trying to hop into the business of chiptunes and I barely know anything and making up the music.
Like...
I lack some basic terms like mixers, VST's, Trackers, equalizers or maaaany other things. . . Bahhh I might be asking a little too much or too broad of a question.. BUT if you guys could give me a good quick read on a site or even a book I could pick up or something.

here's all you need to know:

Chicago IL
Legnox wrote:

the business of chiptunes

lol

Chicago IL

but seriously, if you've never taken enough interest in music and sound to seek out and learn those things you mentioned on your own (a mixer mixes sound, by the way), why do you think we should help you, when you can't even type 'what is a vst' into google? some of us have spent years learning this shit. i can't speak for everyone, but i know I never had to find a forum and say 'someone spoon feed me every single thing i need to know to make chiptunes.'

if you never had an interest in this stuff before, why start now? why can't you just be a fan?

Noo no no I am not simply just asking you to INSTANTLY tell me what a VST is or what a mixer (figured them out but just wanted to learn more) is or anything like that... I just wanted a good book, or another source of knowledge... I guess I asked this really badly, how did you guys start learning new stuff? I always have had interest, I just never knew where to start learning some of this stuff...
and by the way, "The business of chiptunes" was just a little joke i guess, not that I thought of it as a literal business blahhhh. Idunno I'm sorry for sounding like a total dipshit and I know google is a good source but sometimes i'd just like to ask some people who already do the type of stuff i want to learn what a good book is if you know of any...

again, sorry for the way I put it.

Last edited by Legnox (Jun 1, 2011 8:33 pm)

Bronx, NY

Sometimes people want to supplement whatever research they've done or plan on doing with anecdotes and conversation. I don't think that's so terrible.

Brazil

I read chipflip website a lot. Is a good reading regarding a lot of chip related stuff.

Godzilladelph

what type of music do you want to make? do you play any other instruments?

such things are good to ponder when meditating upon the meaning of electronica

Unsubscribe

http://www.amazon.com/Rip-Up-Start-Agai … 0143036726

Has some great chapters on electronic music

Bristol, UK

Here's a page with info on midi, mixers, synthesis etc. http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~bunce/

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
bryface wrote:

here's all you need to know:

lulz...
only thing i learned from that was how to dance like an idiot.