Virgins-ia

Hey Guys, I'm working on a Nine Inch Nails tribute album (link:kickstarter) and I wanted to drop in and see what people think about the track I dropped for free. Here it is (link:bandcamp).

If anyone over here submitted a track to the 8bc NIN tribute, hopefully no one thinks I'm stepping on them, my goals are a little bit different with this and I want to do it "Trent style" -- that is, all on my own -- and also I'm trying to do all of an album. There is no obligation to pledge, the kickstarter simply explains things for the most part better than I could here.

Feel free to provide constructive criticism or ask questions or whatever.

Last edited by InversePhase (Jun 3, 2011 5:31 pm)

Los Angeles

The title of this thread "NINE INCH NAILS ALBUM IN PROGRESS" is only slightly misleading wink

Virgins-ia
8bitweapon wrote:

The title of this thread "NINE INCH NAILS ALBUM IN PROGRESS" is only slightly misleading wink

Sorry. Better?

Chicago IL

i'm glad kickstarter is being used well

Rochester, NY

isn't this a bit ridiculous?

if you want to make a NIN chip album, then go for it. why ask people for handouts for doing something that most others would do in their spare time anyway and distribute for free?

East Kilbride, Scotland
jbuonacc wrote:

if you want to make a NIN chip album, then go for it. why ask people for handouts for doing something that most others would do in their spare time anyway and distribute for free?

If you can get $2,852 (and counting) for doing it, why do it for free?

jbuonacc wrote:

I don't think it's so much asking for hand-outs as it is making the option for a pre-order.

I'm kind of with you on the free distribution thing though. Only because it's cover songs. I think original music should be sold, covers should be a free release. But since this actual merchandise here, I don't see a serious problem.

I'm indifferent. Charging $25.00 for a 4 minute skype call on the other hand...

Virgins-ia
jbuonacc wrote:

Here, have some reasonings:
1. I'd like to mass-distribute it. Licensing costs money.
2. I'm putting together an entire cover album, not just a compilation where I do one track.
3. These are physical items I want to offer to an existing fanbase. It's fine if you're not one of them.
4. I was laid off at work. I would normally just front the money for everything myself but I can't afford it right now.

There's more, but I really think this should be enough. Obviously people are willing to pay for it.

I didn't come here to shove the kickstarter down your throat, I came posting asking for feedback on the track. Preferably from people that know the original. I mean, pardon me for providing a free download for the track I'm asking about (or you can stream it if you think you'd be wasting a few MB) and a kickstarter link to outline more information about what the track is for.

Apeshit wrote:

I don't think it's so much asking for hand-outs as it is making the option for a pre-order.

I'm kind of with you on the free distribution thing though. Only because it's cover songs. I think original music should be sold, covers should be a free release. But since this actual merchandise here, I don't see a serious problem.

I'm indifferent. Charging $25.00 for a 4 minute skype call on the other hand...

You know what, I'll be completely up-front about the high-dollar items and say right off the bat they're a bit absurd. Not that I don't plan follow through with it or anything.... but I could just simply "not offer" those things and people would still pledge more (I have existing higher-dollar pledges where people chose not to receive rewards at all), so I figured I might as well offer something.... and besides, people have obviously already asked to receive them, so they must have some worth.

Might as well do a Nice Thing(tm) and offer people something more, you know?

Philly, PA, USA

Ok, personally I think this whole thing is a little weird but whatever.

About the track I think your sound design really doesn't fit, even with The Only Time as you've linked which by far isn't NIN's hardest song, your cover just sounds like a silly kind of thing, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of dynamics and really, other than the percussion/noise bits it doesn't really have the right feel. Also all of your melody instruments seem to be pretty much straight up pulses with little in the way of variation.

Your style worked well with that Fuck You cover because it's a lighthearted, kind of silly song, but with NIN you need to adapt to a much darker, dirtier style, otherwise it comes off as almost a spoof rather than a tribute.

I would say look at some of the instrumentation that Nullsleep, IAYD, and others who make darker chip music, and maybe try to learn something from them.

also: keep in mind, the best covers aren't just transcriptions of songs, but inspired creations in and of themselves that bring something new to the table.

Last edited by pixls (Jun 6, 2011 8:40 am)

Milwaukee, WI

**Trying to stay out of thread. Trying to stay out of thread. Trying to stay out of thread.**

Bronx, NY
RG wrote:

**Trying to stay out of thread. Trying to stay out of thread. Trying to stay out of thread.**

Virgins-ia

Thank you, pixls!

Everyone else (except maybe Sycamore and Saskrotch), just forget I ever came here thanks.

Rochester, NY

see, and then you get all weird about it. boo f'ing hoo.

you want mass distribution? put it up on a filesharing network for free download. why *exactly* does anyone need a hard-copy of it? or a t-shirt? huh? sounds like you're taking advantage of not-so-smart NIN fans.

not overly impressed with the sample though, honestly. some very good parts, but it sounds a bit off altogether. i don't see the point in all this really. then again, if it were Bit Shifter doing it, i'd be praising him for it. smile (i'd honestly love for him to do a whole Misfits chip album. sure wouldn't need a pressed CD or a t-shirt though.) sorry to say, but this had better be damn good if you want to pull it off.

ehh... i feel bad for saying all this becuse you obviously have good intentions. something about it just seems 'wrong' though.

btw - i'm thinking Saskrotch was being sarcastic. plenty sarcastic.

Last edited by jbuonacc (Jun 6, 2011 8:56 pm)

Virgins-ia
jbuonacc wrote:

see, and then you get all weird about it. boo f'ing hoo.

I guess I was looking too hard for what I asked for, which is constructive feedback on the track.

I didn't want to have to justify/defend/whatever the project. I'm a NIN fan with (as you say) good intentions. I'm doing this for me and also for numerous people that asked me to do it. I set the topic the way I did because often "give me feedback" requests don't really get a lot of response and I figured I'd try something different. I guess I learned my lesson on that one, eh?

jbuonacc wrote:

you want mass distribution? put it up on a filesharing network for free download. why *exactly* does anyone need a hard-copy of it? or a t-shirt? huh? sounds like you're taking advantage of not-so-smart NIN fans.

I can't afford a potential lawsuit. The licensing is a required cost if I don't obtain some sort of written permission. To get licensing, I have to ask for money, and then people ask, "why should I give you money?" They want something in return, so I offer a physical item. Sometimes people want stuff like that and sometimes they (you) don't. We've asserted that you don't. Again, fine with me. There's an option for that too. But why not try to serve both groups of people if I'm able? This isn't a "should I offer both digital downloads and CDs" debate or anything.

jbuonacc wrote:

not overly impressed with the sample though, honestly. some very good parts, but it sounds a bit off altogether. i don't see the point in all this really. then again, if it were Bit Shifter doing it, i'd be praising him for it. smile (i'd honestly love for him to do a whole Misfits chip album. sure wouldn't need a pressed CD or a t-shirt though.) sorry to say, but this had better be damn good if you want to pull it off.

Again, if you don't want one, don't buy it, that's just fine. The two lowest levels of contribution, which I am not asking you to pledge by the way, are digital downloads. No physical items. Solved.

I think Josh is a great guy. I own Information Chase and I bought a physical copy to support him. I understand that you do not feel the same way about me, but I really feel your comment basically says "I support him, but I don't support you," and you justify it with this:

jbuonacc wrote:

ehh... i feel bad for saying all this becuse you obviously have good intentions. something about it just seems 'wrong' though.

Can you see why that might be the least bit upsetting? If you can come up with more than that, I have open ears! Otherwise I don't feel like this is going anywhere useful. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're being polite (for the most part?) about the matter...

jbuonacc wrote:

btw - i'm thinking Saskrotch was being sarcastic. plenty sarcastic.

My sarcasm detector is off, I'm sorry to say. I'm in a pretty bad place, but I'm not here to plead. I think kickstarter is neat, it's good to not have to beg for an idea you think is cool, and most importantly, it worked for me.

rochester, ny

Can I ask how you promoted your kickstarter? I know a few people that have tried to do the kickstarter thing and didn't make their goals. I'm curious what the difference is between a successful kickstarter attempt and a failed one.

Also, this is NOT intended to be a slight at all, but what do you think motivated so many people to donate so much cash to this? I mean, I wouldn't pay $150 dollars for a cd and tshirt of my favorite bands. So much money, man.

Again, I'm not being critical. I'm just curious.

Virgins-ia

Hey Nick, good to see you buddy.

nickmaynard wrote:

Can I ask how you promoted your kickstarter? I know a few people that have tried to do the kickstarter thing and didn't make their goals. I'm curious what the difference is between a successful kickstarter attempt and a failed one.

Twitter, facebook, etc. To be perfectly blunt, I think the short answer is that you need a decent network of people that give a shit. A fanbase. They are into what you do, they want to be a part of it, and they follow through. I'm pleased to have the folks I do, they're good people. I won't lie and say that knowing a few other key individuals didn't help. Being nice goes a long way. Notice nowhere in here did I say "having a project that is worth doing". Because that's not up for you to decide, especially if you're still trying to figure that out, unless it's worth it for you to do it all by yourself without any reward.

nickmaynard wrote:

Also, this is NOT intended to be a slight at all, but what do you think motivated so many people to donate so much cash to this? I mean, I wouldn't pay $150 dollars for a cd and tshirt of my favorite bands. So much money, man.

Again, no offense taken. I guess some people took the project to heart. Maybe some think it's a really great idea. I'll probably survey them at the end and ask, because I do know a bunch of people that pledged, but definitely not all of them. Also, while some wouldn't, there are still a lot of people that would plunk down $20 for a shirt or special edition CD or something, especially with free shipping. You're not them, and they're not you. Realising they exist is a good first step. =]