Chicago IL

there's VOPM, which as far as i know is identical to the 2612

Russia, Moscow

Sorry, but no, I don't want to make a virtual chip tracker with unlimited channels etc. The main goal of the project is to provide ability to make music that could be used on the HW (in games, demos), everything else is considered only if it does not take much work, like small usability improvements here and there.

VOPM is about 95% identical to 2612, I personally use it much often than VGM MM. There is an ongoing 2612 VSTi project as well.

Chicago IL

actually, i didn't look through to see if anyone requested this: i'd love a "Follow Mode" button like in famitracker. when i'm writing something i like to be able to loop it and change notes as i listen to it.

Russia, Moscow

Actually you able to do it already. There is a play pattern in loop feature (F8), and you can enter notes during play. Don't think it going to work well, though, there is no real sync between display and sound, so you will often miss rows you need.

Chicago IL

oh, sorry, what i meant was if the pattern played, but let you move the cursor around, instead of following it as it plays each note.

Montclair, NJ

So, guys. I'm a type of person that needs things spelled out for me when it comes to tutorial kinda stuff. I just dug through a bunch of boxes in my basement and found my SEGA Gamegear, and I want to know simply how I can get to using this software on it. Help greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Chicago IL

i mean, game gear and genesis are completely different. the game gear only uses the PSG chip. you could write for those 4 channels and play the exported vgm on an Everdrive GG, but you can't run this program on a game gear, if that's what you're asking.

Montclair, NJ

Well I am asking that because on this page:
http://shiru.untergrund.net/software.shtml
It says that it does run on Gamegear. So yes, that is my question. So, maybe it ends up that I cant run it on Gamegear, but hypothetically if I COULD, how would I go about doing so?

Chicago IL

that means it can write game gear songs, if you stick to the PSG channels. it's a windows program, it's not going to run on your game gear.

Montclair, NJ

Oh, well, thats that then... K, thanks.

Dammit, just when I thought I'd never need my PC and got rid of it...

Last edited by A Versus B (Mar 22, 2012 3:01 am)

Russia, Moscow

Saskrotch, got it. It is a relatively major change, so it can take time to implement (make many internal changes), but I'll think about it, this could be useful.

A Versus B, to my knowledge there are no native SMS/GG trackers that runs on the consoles.

any plans to export 4op settings to say a yamaha fm synth?

Russia, Moscow

No. It is far from the main goal of the project, and I would not be able to test it anyway.

If one wants to convert patches and has some programming skills, it should be not too difficult to make a converter. Instrument format is very simple and documented, and there is text exporter as well - it exports whole song with instruments in human-readible, easy to parse format.

Tokyo, Japan

Hey Shiru! I THINK I maybe found a small problem, I think for Algorithm 1, operators 2 and 3 might be the wrong way round?

Russia, Moscow

Yes, they are wrong on the algo diagram indeed. Emulation is correct, though. Thanks for report.

Tokyo, Japan

No problem, glad to help.