Melbtown, Lolstralia

Pierre Henry Track that was reworked for the Futurama theme (track comes in at around 1:50 but the prelude and stuff is awesome too)

See I think early electronic composers like Stockhausen are a little off topic as they are fairly far removed from the beat driven stuff that was mentioned by lazerbeat in the original post but anything that gives me an excuse to go into an art-music post fest I will take

Stockhausen's most famous works are probably Gesang de Junglinge and Kontakte (kontakte being one of the best in my opinion) his later stuff gets ridiculous like Helicopter quartets and the like..

Pierre Schaeffer

Morton Subotnick (winner of coolest name in early electronic music)

Edgard Varese

Sydney AUS

I'm loving the Stockhausen. Thanks for the recommendations. I don't really know how on topic or early this is, but this is a great track and great video from Tom Ellard from the band Severed Heads:

I must have missed some posts around here because I didn't see anyone mentioning Vangelis.

I know he's not that early but man, it goes without saying that he's brilliant.

hardcore, Australia
abortifacient wrote:

I'm loving the Stockhausen. Thanks for the recommendations. I don't really know how on topic or early this is, but this is a great track and great video from Tom Ellard from the band Severed Heads:

Tom Ellard taught a class i had in first year at uni, that was pretty cool.

Despite learning all about them, stockhausen, schaeffer, pierre henry, all those guys never did much for me.

So, this thread, let's talk about the bbc radiophonic workshop.
And also http://www.whatthefuturesoundedlike.com/

Brazil
El Huesudo II wrote:

Vangelis

If anyone says vangelis, I say Wendy/Walter Carlos. They praticaly walk side by side.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

Stockhausen stuff is really experimental and amazing in its own way. he even do some sort of sheet music with interesting graphics (can't find any online, on my music school library are some copies of it.) He also was doing live electronic music broadcasting back in the mid 50's.

http://home.earthlink.net/~almoritz/ele … 952-60.htm

it was interesting the use of an echo chamber for "real" reverberation, and cutting and chopping pieces of tape in order to achieve interesting effects in concrete music. Luciano Berio did something similar in Omaggio a Joyce (1958). he buildt an echo chamber on his studio ( yeah, no plugins back there wink )

United States

david tudor

Brazil

And concrete music can be made using any sample tracker nowadays.