hey, a friend of mine had this drum machine laying around so i took it off him. worked with it for a while. sounds pretty decent. really helps out the gameboy drums because they tend to be a little bit flat. tho sometimes i prefer them that way. im thinking of incorporating it full time in my music to give it a boarder appeal.

has anyone ever tried/used it and/or has any opinion about it?

Teeside, UK

wow you just reminded me that I have one of these... I got it years ago!

how are you planning to use the drum machine? I used to mess around with it, but in all honesty it wasn't that amazing and was a bit of a bugger to program the drums with. I don't think I'd really ever go back to a drum machine what with having software that can do the same and more.

if I were in your shoes, I'd sell the drum machine and use the money to buy an Akai LPD to use with drum sampling software like the drum rack in Ableton Live.

if you want to work with actual hardware it couldn't hurt to use the Zoom, but if I remember correctly it was kind of tacky and awkward for me.

Last edited by Tunners (Jul 3, 2011 11:30 am)

IL, US

zoom drum machines are ok, ive had an mrt3 in the past and got good results after i retuned the drums (believe this is an option on the 123 also)...

@Tunners
i know that using software would be way more versatile than an entry level drum machine but the reason why i wanted to use it is because i hate using computers. for music at least. but when it comes to programming patterns on it its actually quite easy, i already played a song live with it. it was okay. i might not be super happy with the drum samples tho.

@e.s.c.
i dont recall reading anything about retuning the drums on the 123. i'll google it now. thanks.

e.s.c. wrote:

zoom drum machines are ok, ive had an mrt3 in the past and got good results after i retuned the drums (believe this is an option on the 123 also)...

looked into it. doesnt seem the RT-123 has that function. would've been cool coz im not totally satisfied with the drum samples.

Stockholm

I had one, a bit fun (it's very cheap right) but sold it after a while as I only did one or two bar loops on it.

i think i'll stick with it for now... seeing as i cant afford any proper hardware (i indefinitely borrowed it from a friend) i think this will be a good instrument for transitioning from chiptunes drums to proper production drums.

thanks for the comments guys