England

Here are some modifications I did to my NES with MIDINES cart.

I never liked that MIDI cable sticking out of the front - it looks untidy and is prone to breakage - so I made my NES into a sound module with its own MIDI IN socket round the back. The internal cabling is nice and tidy and doesn't cause the NES to overheat. To avoid butchering that rare MIDINES cart, I used a cable-mount DIN socket to connect the MIDINES to the case's MIDI IN socket.

Also I've done the channel split mod on it, with 1/4 inch sockets at the back next to the MIDI socket.

This was done quite a while back but I've only just found the photos. tongue Click images for larger size.

Last edited by InactiveX (Jan 29, 2012 11:27 am)

clovis CA

why?

Matthew Joseph Payne

Because it's more reliable and better looking than the stock MIDINES setup, and he hasn't actually damaged anything valuable? You never seemed like the type for unnecessary snark, Alley Beach, I'm disappointed. sad

And great work InactiveX, simple mod but done very cleanly. smile

clovis CA

shit no, sorry haha, i didnt read anything. i just looked at pics =p (i should learn to read more =/)
i mean it looks real clean, no doubt, i wasnt paying attention
props inactiveX =]

England

Haha, thanks you two!

Matthew Joseph Payne

heart

clovis CA

the offer stills stands =]

clovis CA

Last edited by Alley Beach (Jul 4, 2011 5:28 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

what?

clovis CA

sent him a pm to make up =p

Milwaukee, WI

How did you protect the output?  Are those just 10uf caps on the audio line?  I never quite understood how to protect the outs, with caps and resistors, etc.

England

The caps are for DC blocking, so that only AC (audio) passes through.

If you want to give your devices some protection from spikes and frying things through audio connections, then you need to fit something like this.

I have one fitted inside my C-64 as the SIDs are so bloody fragile...

@Alley Beach: Actually, I might just take you up on your kind offer. I'll be in touch.

Last edited by InactiveX (Jul 4, 2011 9:48 pm)

England

I went a bit further and installed front panel controller buttons (click images for large size):

I'd originally thought about trying to mount a NES controller on the front, but I couldn't think of a tidy way of doing it, so I went for individual buttons (push to make).

I pulled an old NES pad apart and put the board into the NES unit, with the input wires connected to the push buttons, and the output directly to the NES controller input (inside the NES unit).

Luckily I found a replacement NES door on the web which didn't have any logos - tidy!

That's all for now (wonder if I can put a little screen on it? wink ).

Last edited by InactiveX (Jan 29, 2012 11:22 am)

Tokyo, Japan

can you take the midines cart out without opening the system?

England

Not the way I've got it. The MIDI input is wired into the external socket via a plug, and the cable trails through the NES's insides.

I've no use for the NES except for MIDINES, so it suits me fine.

sweden

You are my hero

https://8bc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10743