Sweeeeeeden

https://sites.google.com/site/mechatron … ightscythe

This is a pretty cool project. The idea is that you have an individually programmable RGB LED strip that you modulate over time, while walking in front of a camera. With a long enough exposure, you get a 2D image. But the really cool aspect is that the camera will also capture the shadow of the thing, giving the impression that you actually have a plane of light floating mid-air.

San Francisco :P

Very interesting, so that is just with one light bulb? Can it be done by having planes of light being held up?

USA

Killer

matt's mind
Monovfox wrote:

so that is just with one light bulb?

many LEDs, all RGB, on a strip.

Venezuela

woaaaahhh!!!...... nitro2k01, do you have any idea if this suppor animated gif?????? or a sequence of images??? because i could produce graphics for this proyect

Sweeeeeeden

Since it relies on a long camera exposure time, it can only produce still images by nature. However, nothing would stop you from painstakingly making several frames and do a stop-motion kind of thing. Of course, every frame would be aligned slightly differently in each frame, if the rod is carried in your hand, since human motion isn't perfect. You can see this as a part of the craft, and live with it.

Of course you'd need to build the thing or convince the creator to record frames for you. (I'm not the creator and I haven't built one, so I'm not of much help.)

Milwaukee, WI

Man, what I wouldn't give to get a Theta symbol with mountains in the background on this thing. wink

Philly, PA, USA

Someone actually made an iPad app to do sort of the same thing, though the big RGB strip is definitely cooler, but the app might be a bit more within reach for some people.

Venezuela
nitro2k01 wrote:

Since it relies on a long camera exposure time, it can only produce still images by nature. However, nothing would stop you from painstakingly making several frames and do a stop-motion kind of thing. Of course, every frame would be aligned slightly differently in each frame, if the rod is carried in your hand, since human motion isn't perfect. You can see this as a part of the craft, and live with it.

Of course you'd need to build the thing or convince the creator to record frames for you. (I'm not the creator and I haven't built one, so I'm not of much help.)

Yah!... totally true, i forget about the long exposure time. The pics at their flickr looks so good and dont looks like. Btw, thx again afor sharing this! i will contact the guy and see what happen!

Whitley Bay, England

I remember Nintendo released a Pokémon one of these like 5 years ago or so... Japan only of course, but it seemed pretty sweet.

Also, seeing pictures of Sydney always confuses me cause of the bridge. My local city, Newcastle, is somewhat known for the Tyne Bridge, which looks like this:

TSSBAY01
ui wrote:

woaaaahhh!!!...... nitro2k01, do you have any idea if this suppor animated gif??????

lol, why not straight up .avi while we're at it..

Venezuela
tempsoundsolutions wrote:
ui wrote:

woaaaahhh!!!...... nitro2k01, do you have any idea if this suppor animated gif??????

lol, why not straight up .avi while we're at it..

my comment acutally is a fail! jajaja... i forget the pics are taken from long exposure. You cant actually do that, or you can, doing it with static images and stop-motion as nitro said! :PPPP

ui is the n00b!... btw, this project rox so bad!...

TSSBAY01

im just playin with ya, hehe. it is great to see this come to fruition, here's hoping we see they use it to make some killer stop motion stuff. welcome to the future big_smile