I`ve never linked together anything but two DMGs. I recently was given an SP by my little sister. Is the linkport on the SP the same as the GBC port? If it is I`m considering prosounding the SP since I no longer own any other DMGs or GBCs. Thanks in advance guys.

USA

DMGs are the best. An SP is good for gaming but not so good for making music, in my opinion. DMGs are cheap and easy to find and EMS 64m carts are also relatively cheap. DMGs are also much "cooler" and they are fun to modify.

I also like to use the GB emulator BGB. BGB is awesome because the screen is easy to view(its your computer screen so it doesn't need a back light) and it has a bunch of features that a real gameboy doesn't like the option to change the frame rate(speed), save state, custom color palette schemes, virtual link, turn off/on each individual sound channel, and it can be controlled by USB controllers like an XBOX360 wired guitarhero controller. It has a bunch more features and if you have a laptop you can pretty-much take it anywhere.

I understand how awesome DMGs are. I know the pros and cons of each model of Gameboy. I`m just wanting to know if the SP has the same linkport as a GBC. Nex said a prosounded SP sounds pretty good. I just want to give it a test drive and see for myself.

USA

I think it can be done with the right cable. I've never done it myself. Try a google search.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jul 12, 2011 6:13 am)

San Francisco

with the right cable anything is possible....

Sweeeeeeden

The link port is identical to that on GBA. It's compatible with the GBC link port. (It has a slightly different shape from GBC, but that's only so Nintendo could design GBA-only plugs if they wanted. No problem!)
What SP doesn't have is a direct headphone output. You need to plug a special adapter into the combined charging port/headphone for that. Prosound is probably a PITA unless your first name is Ralph and your last name is Tyler...

Europa surfing on the monolith

Any game boy can be linked to any other game boy with the exception of the micro I believe, there are link cables that have both the color/sp/advance/pocket and dmg connectors on both ends of a single cable, I found 12 of them at mendelson's brand new for about 2 bucks a piece.

IL, US

micro can be linked to gba/gbc using nintendo official adapters & cables

Europa surfing on the monolith
e.s.c. wrote:

Thanks for clarifying this for me, the micro is the only one I do not own.

NorthTtrrrway
e.s.c. wrote:

or this

IL, US

haha just was saying that it doesnt even require extra work (well besides finding those adapters at this point, they were on the nintendo online store for a few years)

Fargo
nitro2k01 wrote:

The link port is identical to that on GBA. It's compatible with the GBC link port. (It has a slightly different shape from GBC, but that's only so Nintendo could design GBA-only plugs if they wanted. No problem!)
What SP doesn't have is a direct headphone output. You need to plug a special adapter into the combined charging port/headphone for that. Prosound is probably a PITA unless your first name is Ralph and your last name is Tyler...

So are you saying that you'd have to solder on a GBA link to the GBC part of a GBC to DMG cable?

Sweeeeeeden

No. There's a clever system of plugs and sockets to enable different compatibility schemes.

This is a GBA link port (same on GBA and GBA SP). Notice the little notch. GBC doesn't have this but the port is otherwise identical.

This is a GBC link cable. Notice that both sides are flat and that there are two angled corners.

This is a GBA only link cable. Notice that there's a bump matching the notch, and that all four corners are angled.

As you can see, a GBA link cable plug doesn't fit into a GBC socket, because there's no notch. a GBC link cable plug fits into both kinds of sockets.

If Nintendo had wanted, they could have made a GBA only socket, with four angled corners and a notch, in which the old GBC plugs would not have fit. Instead, history went down in such a way that GB micro, the first GBA-only (*) Gameboy had a completely different connector.

(*) Actually there are ways to go into GBC mode on GB micro, but that's very hacky and not useful.

rochester, ny
SurfaceDragon wrote:

An SP is good for gaming but not so good for making music, in my opinion.

why not? just curious. i'm considering switching the SP for my band.

Fargo

Well, I know it is possible because of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nARdUA … ideo_title

I just don't know where he got that adapter.