Australia

I'm surprised no one has picked up on this one yet.  This lil fella is called the "Rockit 8 Bit Synth".  I just ordered one.

Matt (builder) says: "The synth makes deep fat bass, chip noise leads, sci-fi robot weirdness and eveything in between."

Specs:

- Fully Open Source Hardware and Well-Commented C code
- Digital / Analog Hybrid Circuitry
- 2 Digital Oscillators with 16 waveshapes
- 2 Low Frequency Modulation Oscillators with 10 destinations
- Analog Filter with Low-Pass, Band-Pass, and High-Pass with Envelope Control and External Audio Input
- Analog Voltage-Controlled Amplifier with full Envelope Control
- Drone/Loop Mode for Playing by Itself
- 19 Knobs to Twiddle / 8 Switches / Sound patch save & recall
- Full MIDI Input and Output

Currently $125 in kit (+ postage & while kickstarter lasts).  Doesn't come in a case - but he's looking at options.  You can also get a prebuilt unit.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/790 … -synth-kit

Obviously it's unproven at this time and there are only the youtube demos to go by - but it seems like a module with a lot of character and the fact it is designed for "hackers and electronics enthusiasts" and "will be an engaging platform for synth programming and exploration" ticks a few boxes for me.

I'm wandering (if it doesn't come with a case) what the best options for mounting it will be?  I'm thinking mounting it flush to a Tupperware container lid and maybe extend the I/O so they are not directly connected to the board?  Replacing the pots / switches, etc, just seems a little tricky - although might need doing if the onboard ones wear out.  At any rate - looks like fun and worth it for the pass filters alone :-)

Ohio

As far as cases go, it depends on the board specs.  I have always liked the Radio Shack enclosures for something quick and cheap.  Hammond and Pactec cases are also nice.  Maybe a PT-8 if the specs are right.  You should be able to mount the board flush with the top of the enclosure, depending on what you choose to use.

Also, I posted on this a few days ago, though it seems no one picked up on the topic.  It is nice to see more people are interested in the DIY synths on Kickstarter.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4561/ … ckstarter/

Last edited by BTS (Jul 13, 2011 2:33 pm)

Australia
BTS wrote:

Also, I posted on this a few days ago, though it seems no one picked up on the topic.

Sorry 'bout that mate!  I did look though the list before posting but glanced over it (was looking for "Rockit" rather than "kickstarter")

Hopefully between the two of us we can raise some awareness.  It's the open source + commented code + MIDI support which makes it look impressive to me.  I really hope this takes off; but at the same time, if he gets to many orders, it could go the way of so many small operations... (talking of which, my BC16 still hasn't arrived after 3 years)

Ohio

No worries.

It looks like he's 3/4 the way to the goal.  It seems like it'll be funded in the next 44 days.  I've been seeing more blog posts about it as well.

Hopefully you'll get your BC16. I read recently that they were shutting down, but from what I read, existing orders should be fulfilled.

Milwaukee, WI

Looks pretty cool.  I'd really like a custom case though. hmm

Milwaukee, WI

So the kickstarter is almost up.  The goal was realized!  Anyways I've begun my quest to buy and build many DIY synths and I ordered the bare bones kit.  I'll document my build! smile

Milwaukee, WI

FYI just got the PCB and programmed microcontroller.  The whole thing is a pretty nice size!

matt's mind

can't wait till mine arrives wink  looking forward to this for a while...

Australia

kinda cool :-)

http://syntaxparty.org/rockit8bit/cTrix … edlive.ogg

This is an early demo I recorded with it.  Details at: http://hackmeopen.com/?page_id=193& … amp;t=22.0

I'm working on a case for mine atm.

matt's mind

a case would be astounding. 

good little synth.

Milwaukee, WI

Still have the PCB laying around.  Need to get around to ordering all the parts.  Nice demo cTrix!  I'm terrible with case stuff, so I'm waiting until the real case comes out.

San Diego

Just an update for anyone that hasn't checked yet, the case is out for this synth. http://hackmeopen.com/?p=631#more-631

Retired

Hi,

@ cTrix: Will you make your GUI wave editor available? Sorry for this question, but how do you put back the wave in the synth after editing them (through MIDI i guess...) Do you just select a "device" from the GUI to send the wave back to the synth? Or does it require some obscure geek skills?

@to those you tried the synth: What's you general feeling with the synth? Do you like it? Does the filters and resonance sounds good? Are the enveloppe fast and flexible? Is it noisy? You know, that kind of things....

Thanks!!!

Last edited by ??? (Jan 17, 2012 6:55 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Also, ctrix posted on the rockit forums that he's working on new firmware and some cases... woot!