Wellington, New Zealand

http://www.qfpost.com/download.do?get=a … 72f6862296

Right..
I think i figured most things out now..

the program makes tile data.. those tiles are 8x8 pixels.
this means that the screen needs 20x18 tiles to be completely filled.

The problem with this is, that that's 360 tiles.
and since the tiles are numbered in hex, that only goes up to FF (which is 256 tiles)

so, it's not possible to get a complete fullscreen picture with this setup, but it does give you 256 tiles, so you can probably get pretty far with it..

you do have to adjust the starting point of the tile layout tho, if you want a smaller centered picture.

also, since the PCX2GB gives you a a complete set of tiles (360), you need to exclude the tiles you do not want (the ones on the border..)
this is tricky, because it means you have to remove tiles every 18 lines or so (depending on the layout you choose)

I'm not making a lot of sense, am I?
well, it's late, and english isn't my native language tongue

anyway, here's a picture, that's about as big as you can go with this method...

That's my gf btw, because if you are coding till late in the evening, that doesn't mean you can't have a girlfriend

anyway.
I could type a step by step tomorrow, but it's quite complicated, because you have to tailer it to your needs everytime you make a rom tongue
And I shall search on for a way to create true fullscreen pictures... maybe with bigger tiles, or a way to get the map counter higher than 256...

I should get some sleep, because it's 2 am again..

USA

Thanks so much!

Sydney, NSW

Yeah, thanks Timbob!
The weekend's hit over here, so I can have a go at compiling a ROM now.

Big thanks to Apricorn for finding this stuff in the first place tongue

Wellington, New Zealand

I didn't find it I just copied links from SurfaceDragon's thread

Sydney, NSW
Apricorn wrote:

I didn't find it I just copied links from SurfaceDragon's thread

I thought you found them in the first place, no?

Sydney, NSW

Well, I tried running PCX2GB on Windows 7, and I get an error about how the program can't go fullscreen, and then it hangs.
Do I just leave it to hang? Or do I need XP (which supports full-screen command prompts afaik)?

Wellington, New Zealand

click ignore
and then some shit will happen and you should have something.c and something.map in the folder

Sydney, NSW

I've left it for almost two hours and nothing happened

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Jul 22, 2011 10:48 am)

Wellington, New Zealand

lol

Chainsaw Police - If you were able to run PCX2GB as far as seeing an image on the screen, you have to hit Enter a few times to get it to do it's thing.

Timbob - Don't drive yourself crazy w/ 360 unique tiles.  On the gameboy classic, there is only memory space to hold 256 - although there is a method of storing the extra 104 in a different memory area and using an interrupt to point to that other memory region when drawing the screen.

On gameboy color it's a little easier, there is a second memory area you can store the other 104 tiles and then there is a second 'map' that, instead of showing what tile goes in what screen location, it describes what palette and what memory bank to take the tile from.

I should have some time next week to maybe write out a tutorial about each method.

Thought it would be something like that smile
anyway, I stopped trying to figure out how to use more tiles, and went on with trying to animate them.

Because it's fun big_smile
Never programmed anything in C before..
just reading other programs code.... cutting, pasting, edditing, and see what happens tongue

Any tutorial would be awesome tho

Sydney, NSW
budmelvin wrote:

If you were able to run PCX2GB as far as seeing an image on the screen, you have to hit Enter a few times to get it to do it's thing.

I didn't see an image.

I ran the command in both regular and elevated command prompts, pressed enter.

As soon as I ran the command, two dialogs popped up saying that "this system doesn't support fullscreen".

So yeah.

Wellington, New Zealand

yeah me too. If there was supposed to be a picture pop up then it doesn't work for win 7

Sydney, NSW

Alright, tomorrow I've got IT, in which me and a few mates are rebuilding some old XP machines.
I'll have ago at compiling a fullscreen image ROM or two on these machines and report back.

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Jul 24, 2011 10:26 am)

I don't really have time to make up a whole tutorial but I put up some example code for 360 unique tiles on gb classic (http://www.budmelvin.com/dev/gb/classic360.zip) and gb color (http://www.budmelvin.com/dev/gb/color360.zip).
For those having trouble with pcx2gb I would suggest trying it in dosbox.

SurfaceDragon you will be happy to see the zips include a rom file which should be extremely easy to edit with yy-chr, each tile is labeled with x and y coordinates.  I haven't tested them on real hardware though, hopefully someone else with take the time to try that and let me know.